Rule 5 pick James Skelton stays with Diamondbacks after minor league deal with Tigers

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Rule 5 pick James Skelton stays with Diamondbacks after minor league deal with Tigers
by Steve Kornacki Thursday April 02, 2009, 2:37 PM

LAKELAND -- The Arizona Diamondbacks decided that catcher James Skelton, their Rule 5 pick from the Detroit organization, won't make the club. So they worked out a trade today with the Tigers, sending right-handed pitcher Brooks Brown to Detroit. He was assigned to Double-A Erie by the Tigers.

Skelton hit .150 in 40 at-bats, and also played second and third base and the outfield this spring.

Can't say that I like giving up on Brown (especially since we drafted him ahead of Joba Chamberlain) already and I am not that big on Skelton either. Although I like him offensively, he will probably not stay at catcher and that causes concern about where he will play in the future (although the Dbacks have been trying him at different positions). Brown lost 15 games last season, but posted a 4.14 ERA playing on the worst team imaginable. If he can bounce back from last season, he could do pretty well in the Tiger's bullpen or even a middle of the rotation starter in a few years.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skelton can't hit and they have been playing him in the infield. I kind of like Ryan Roberts, who for all intensive purposes beat out Skelton

OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Just an update on this swap of minor leaguers:

James Skelton has practically dropped off of the prospect radar by batting a combined .196 with 1 HR and 19 RBIs in 311 ABs between Single-A and Double-A. He has really struggled in 68 Double-A games, batting .182, with 0 HR, and 16 RBIs. One bright spot, he has an OBP of .341 due to a strong 52 BB/40 K ratio.

On the other hand, Brooks Brown has posted a 8-7 record with a 3.31 ERA in 103.1 innings between AA and AAA (5-0 2.21 ERA in Double-A, 3-7 3.92 ERA in Triple-A). He has had problems getting batters to swing and miss on his pitches as in over 100 innings he has only struck out 47 batters. He also has a WHIP of almost 1.5 in Triple-A (1.47).

At this point, neither prospect is anything spectacular but Brown looks like a more sure bet to reach the majors and contribute something, either in a relief role or as a back of the rotation starter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard