Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kellan Olson (@KellanOlson)
7/9/19, 4:44 PM
Rubio’s opening statement had a lot of it revolving around his discussions with Monty Williams and how his role as the coach on the floor goes through Monty. Williams said a similar thing for the role he wants Rubio to hold.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wow they've had some mini-camps and trainings together already

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rubio is playing with the Spanish national team this summer, for anyone interested. Apparently he had 14 points in the first half.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubio scores 21 points in preparation game against Lithuania.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was doing a little research on Rubio. One interesting stat is that Rubio is at 36% for his career from the three---the corner three.

https://nbasavant.com/player.php?ddlYear=&ddlShotMade=&ddlTeamDefense=&player_id=201937

I am not sure why he would shoot so much better from the corner than top of the arc. I know it is a bit shorter, but that should be something he could adjust to. Maybe he just shoots more contested threes from out front.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was doing a little research on Rubio. One interesting stat is that Rubio is at 36% for his career from the three---the corner three.

https://nbasavant.com/player.php?ddlYear=&ddlShotMade=&ddlTeamDefense=&player_id=201937

I am not sure why he would shoot so much better from the corner than top of the arc. I know it is a bit shorter, but that should be something he could adjust to. Maybe he just shoots more contested threes from out front.

With Booker, Cam and some other shooters we don’t need Rubio to light it up from three. We just need him to keep teams honest.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I know I am such a homer, but last year we did not have anyone who run a team like this. I know its a highlight reel, and I know the level of comp is inferior, but still, no one we had last year could do this--ever, regardless of competition level.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spain vs Tunisia is live on ESPN+ right now for those that are interested.

Where do you even find this stuff early in the morning. :D

I see Rubio had 17 points, 9 assists and only 1 turnover.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Where do you even find this stuff early in the morning. :D

I see Rubio had 17 points, 9 assists and only 1 turnover.
He had some beautiful plays in that game. Also it seemed like almost every assist he had spoon fed someone for an easy bucket near the rim.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had some beautiful plays in that game. Also it seemed like almost every assist he had spoon fed someone for an easy bucket near the rim.

It's great to hear. I'm so ready for training camp to begin.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I wish the thread title was different. I keep thinking Marco Rubio is a new Suns partner, or something.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rubio might be the best player on the best team of this world cup.

I was pleasantly pleased when we signed him. But this World Cup competition has me pretty excited about him. We all knew he could pass, dribble, and run a team. His shooting seems to be improving and his D is excellent. We have not had a pg of this caliber since Dragic, and Ricky might be better than Goran.

And yes, that means I think that Rubio is better than Bledsoe. I suppose that is arguable though.

I am really curious to see how this impacts our overall team. Hopefully, we treat Rubio like a traditional pg and let him run the team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubio might be the best player on the best team of this world cup.

I was pleasantly pleased when we signed him. But this World Cup competition has me pretty excited about him. We all knew he could pass, dribble, and run a team. His shooting seems to be improving and his D is excellent. We have not had a pg of this caliber since Dragic, and Ricky might be better than Goran.

And yes, that means I think that Rubio is better than Bledsoe. I suppose that is arguable though.

I am really curious to see how this impacts our overall team. Hopefully, we treat Rubio like a traditional pg and let him run the team.

If Rubio can distribute to Booker, Ayton and company watch out because the Suns have players that can score the ball. Ayton should especially benefit because he will get a lot of easy scoring opportunities inside with Rubio's passing.

I definitely like Rubio over Bledsoe because I think he can better run a team. It would have been fun to have a a younger Dragic and Booker backcourt but Rubio is the better fit now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. The difference a year makes. Last year this time, we were all getting really antsy about the pg position. I was trying to justify in my mind Ariza as a pf. Our roster looked unbalanced and incomplete.

This year, the roster is balanced and complete. We do not know for sure yet whether it will be competitive, but at least we have reasonable options at every position.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Wow. The difference a year makes. Last year this time, we were all getting really antsy about the pg position. I was trying to justify in my mind Ariza as a pf. Our roster looked unbalanced and incomplete.

This year, the roster is balanced and complete. We do not know for sure yet whether it will be competitive, but at least we have reasonable options at every position.
Yes, for the first time in a long time, it will be fun (and stress-free) to route for our Suns.

With the mediocrity that's going on in other Phoenix professional sports, who would have
thought it could be the Suns coming to the rescue?

Whatever closet they locked Sarver in, I hope they threw away the key. :rolleyes:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, for the first time in a long time, it will be fun (and stress-free) to route for our Suns.

With the mediocrity that's going on in other Phoenix professional sports, who would have
thought it could be the Suns coming to the rescue?

Whatever closet they locked Sarver in, I hope they threw away the key. :rolleyes:
Oh. No. It will not be stress free--at least for me. But at least we have a complete roster.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Oh. No. It will not be stress free--at least for me. But at least we have a complete roster.
Game by game, I understand, JC. But no team wins all of its games.

At least we will know that we can now be (some sort of) competitive. And, hopefully, show progress every week.

Stress free, OK maybe not. But far less stress, because of hope for gain, I hope so!

Hopefully there will not be a major injury to . . . no, I'm not going to say it.