Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So maybe we bid against ourselves a little ?
Probably. But they did not want the music to stop and have no chair left. Not adding an NBA caliber starting pg during this free agency period would have been a disaster.

It does look like Rozier was their first choice. I don't know if that was because they believed they had no shot at Rubio because he was going to Indy or because Jones just like Rozier better. I am happy Rozier did not work out, but if the answer is the latter, I am a bit concerned about this front office.

Who knows, maybe Rozier will have a career year in Charlotte and he is better than I think. Of the bunch in question though, Rozier, Rubio, Joseph, and Beverly, Rubio is probably the best option. Beverly would have been a good addition but his injury history is a real question mark, and I just like the age and fit of Rubio over the other two.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Not gonna happen I'm afraid. Winning 50ish every once in a while....... and flaming out in the 1st or 2nd round is our ceiling IMO. Sarver will be the death of all of us.

We have become the Sterling Clippers. The Knicks of the West.

It's a total **** show.

I half agree with you. IMO a good front office can build a team that wins 50 games. Going from 50 wins to NBA champs takes a little luck.

Right now the Suns don’t have either one. Time will tell if this new approach changes the culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably. But they did not want the music to stop and have no chair left. Not adding an NBA caliber starting pg during this free agency period would have been a disaster.

It does look like Rozier was their first choice. I don't know if that was because they believed they had no shot at Rubio because he was going to Indy or because Jones just like Rozier better. I am happy Rozier did not work out, but if the answer is the latter, I am a bit concerned about this front office.

Who knows, maybe Rozier will have a career year in Charlotte and he is better than I think. Of the bunch in question though, Rozier, Rubio, Joseph, and Beverly, Rubio is probably the best option. Beverly would have been a good addition but his injury history is a real question mark, and I just like the age and fit of Rubio over the other two.

Rubio is the better fit with us anyway. Guess Gambo didn’t really know Rubio was coming aboard after all.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I half agree with you. IMO a good front office can build a team that wins 50 games. Going from 50 wins to NBA champs takes a little luck.

Right now the Suns don’t have either one. Time will tell if this new approach changes the culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been reading, and it seems 35 games is kind of the first tier of success. It's considered average even though it's below .500. Then 50 seems to be the "automatic" make the playoffs. 50 is also, you are a good team. 60 games you are a top team.

We need to shoot for 35. Teams just don't go 19 games to 50 in one off season. I think if we get to 35, we are doing good.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Despite getting very lucky...twice...James Jones continues to demonstrate disturbing incompetence.
Unbelievable...the guy has revamped the entire team. If you don't like the guy just don't like him...why question his competence. You have degraded every draft pick and signing without seeing one minute of this team on the floor. That to me is disturbing. This team is looking on paper 10x better than it has in a long time. That is because of Junior.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unbelievable...the guy has revamped the entire team. If you don't like the guy just don't like him...why question his competence. You have degraded every draft pick and signing without seeing one minute of this team on the floor. That to me is disturbing. This team is looking on paper 10x better than it has in a long time. That is because of Junior.

Actually, I like the guy personally. I liked him as a player as well. And I think he can be very valuable as a player/management liaison, as a scout or as a front office assistant. I just think he is in way over his head as a GM and running basketball operations.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You are wasting your time. I'll leave it at that. You are 100% correct in what I bolded in your post and I'd be willing to bet it stays that way going forward. I refer back to my opening remark, you are wasting your time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Of that bunch I absolutely agree. Rubio is the best player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The year after Rubio left for Utah, KAT's ppg dropped by 4. I think it is pretty safe to expect that Ayton should increase by 4 since the pg rotation we had last year is significantly worse than the pg rotation Minny had after Rubio left.

So expect 21-10 from Ayton. Booker should be more efficient. Just that result will be interesting.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The year after Rubio left for Utah, KAT's ppg dropped by 4. I think it is pretty safe to expect that Ayton should increase by 4 since the pg rotation we had last year is significantly worse than the pg rotation Minny had after Rubio left.

So expect 21-10 from Ayton. Booker should be more efficient. Just that result will be interesting.
The addition of Rubio and Saric will do wonders for Booker and Ayton on offense. I suspect we will have some serious issues on defense (unless of course Monty can get us playing good team defense), but the offense should at least be quite fun to watch.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Towns had career bests in efficiency and ORTG the first year without Rubio. He also became a reliable 3pt shooter and Minnesota made the playoffs for the first time in 10+ years. He’s nothing more than decent (which is still a size able upgrade lol).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The addition of Rubio and Saric will do wonders for Booker and Ayton on offense. I suspect we will have some serious issues on defense (unless of course Monty can get us playing good team defense), but the offense should at least be quite fun to watch.

Igor did succeed in getting the team to play good team defense. I know he did it with subpar players but I think having vets and a little more experienced players here and buying in will do wonders for everyone but we'll see it in Booker and Ayton's stats.

Last year there was Jamal Crawford doing what he could but that was in direct contrast to Ariza slacking and Tyson trying to escape. Who else could our youngsters turn to? 1 Jamal Crawford wasn't enough and I don't think he realized what he signed on for, thankfully he was here though because I think he kept the locker room from revolting.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Towns had career bests in efficiency and ORTG the first year without Rubio. He also became a reliable 3pt shooter and Minnesota made the playoffs for the first time in 10+ years. He’s nothing more than decent (which is still a size able upgrade lol).
Oddly enough the Suns this year somewhat remind me of the TWolves the year after Rubio left. They made a pretty large overhaul to the supporting cast, brought in Butler and jumped about 17 games in the win column.

Obviously we didn't bring in a Butler level talent, but our overall rosters looks to have a somwhat similar level of talent as that 2017/18 TWolves team. Booker and Butler somewhat off-set (Butler clearly better on defense, but Booker better on offense), Ayton and Towns somewhat off-set, Rubio and Teague kind of off-set, Oubre and Wiggins somewhat off-set, Saric and Gibson kind of off-set and the two benches seem to be somewhat close as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Wolves lost the chucker Zack LaVine at the same time as Rubio, which I think his exit actually helped them while Rubio was replaced by Teague and they added Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Wolves lost the chucker Zack LaVine at the same time as Rubio, which I think his exit actually helped them while Rubio was replaced by Teague and they added Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson.
The Suns lost Warren and Jackson and maybe that will be a similar addition by subtraction as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oddly enough the Suns this year somewhat remind me of the TWolves the year after Rubio left. They made a pretty large overhaul to the supporting cast, brought in Butler and jumped about 17 games in the win column.

Obviously we didn't bring in a Butler level talent, but our overall rosters looks to have a somwhat similar level of talent as that 2017/18 TWolves team. Booker and Butler somewhat off-set (Butler clearly better on defense, but Booker better on offense), Ayton and Towns somewhat off-set, Rubio and Teague kind of off-set, Oubre and Wiggins somewhat off-set, Saric and Gibson kind of off-set and the two benches seem to be somewhat close as well.

We, thankfully, don't have a Wiggins. Wiggins is killing that franchise, they're paying him like he's one of the best players in the league and on the court he's been among the worst. If he'd fallen off the planet a couple years ago they probably are the 3rd seed in the playoffs in 2018, Butler stays and the Wolves are in a position more like the Nuggets or Jazz are right now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We, thankfully, don't have a Wiggins. Wiggins is killing that franchise, they're paying him like he's one of the best players in the league and on the court he's been among the worst. If he'd fallen off the planet a couple years ago they probably are the 3rd seed in the playoffs in 2018, Butler stays and the Wolves are in a position more like the Nuggets or Jazz are right now.

Supposedly, Butler had a huge problem with KATs work ethic. KAT is a big time gamer, stays up late playing games all of the time.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Supposedly, Butler had a huge problem with KATs work ethic. KAT is a big time gamer, stays up late playing games all of the time.
Didn't seem like he was happy with the work ethic of pretty much the whole team. Which might explain why none of those guys have made all that much real progress since their rookie seasons.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baloney. KAT is a young player and developing. That is why his efficiency went up. The numbers say clearly that KAT did not get as many looks without Rubio.

iVAN

Reaction score
Obviously Rubio is the guy that increases others shot attempts and Butler is the complete opposite.

One thing about Rubio is that he needs pick&pop bigs that can set a screen and pop behind the arc for a 3. That particular move creates space for Rubio to drive or creates an open 3 if the defense doesn't close out on the big. Saric, Frank and to lesser extent Ayton and Baynes are good fits, Much better than the bigs Utah had.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson