ROUND 2: Suns v. Spurs Series Prediction Thread!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haven't seen this posted where everyone lays down the law and throws their official decision into the ring, so since I start the Lakes thread, I figured I throw this out there also.

There's so many question I can't wait to see answered beginning Sunday afternoon. Has DA figured out how to attack Pop's scheme's? Will Marion figure out a way to be offensively productive? Can Amare continue to ascend into the utter greatness we all think he can? Can Nash finally get a hold of Parker, or at least make the Spurs pay so that we're not at a disadvantage at the position where we have the MVP? Can Raja really put the clamp down on Ginobli like we hoped he would when we signed him? Will KT get minutes and be able to body effectively so we don't have to double off their shooters?

This series is two years in the making. We're now experienced and MUCH deeper and HEALTHIER... and EVERYONE on the team has played MAJOR minutes in WCF or Finals games. That is HUGE IMO. And I think we need to show how much all of those factors are RIGHT OFF THE BAT. No replays of two years ago where we went down 10 in the first quarter immediately. No replays of the 1993 Finals, when our boys came out shellshocked and let the Bulls take two games right out from under them. This team needs to prove, from the opening tap, that THEY WILL BEAT THE SPURS. That they are ready. I've seen too many Suns teams come out with homecourt in the biggest of big games and lay an egg and it's probably what makes me - ADMITTEDLY - a pessimistic fan. I'll say this, if we lose Game 1, I think it's a short series and we see major changes in the offseason. If we WIN Game 1, we have a fantastic shot to win this sucker and if it goes to a 7th game, I don't think there's a chance in hell that Nash and Amare don't WILL us to victory, but...

Alas, I have come to grips that I probably lean more towards pessimism than realism and I still don't know if we have what it takes to win this series. This is the crossroads. Is this where the Suns finally break through and shove all that "scoring style doesn't work in the playoffs" back in the media and MY face? Sadly, I'm going to say... no. I'm thinking it's a tough series and just one more speed bump until next year when Amare is 100% back and we tear through EVERYONE. But this year, we come up a little short.

(and it pains me to end to say this, even as a pessimist) Spurs in 6.

I HOPE, PRAY, HOPE, PRAY, HOPE, AND PRAY to be proven wrong and to eat all the crow in the world and that's why I'm glad this is the first post in this thread, so if we win, I can always look back at my stupidity. Do it guys, MAKE ME LOOK STUPID - YOU'VE DONE IT MOST OF THE LAST THREE YEARS - JUST DO IT FOR ANOTHER COUPLE WEEKS!!!!!!!!

DB!

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Probably whoever goes ahead 2-1 will win. I personally have the Suns in 7. Homer pick? I'm not sure. Usually I don't, but this is such a huge series I don't feel like I'm able to pick against us.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably whoever goes ahead 2-1 will win. I personally have the Suns in 7. Homer pick? I'm not sure. Usually I don't, but this is such a huge series I don't feel like I'm able to pick against us.

believe me, I ain't happy with myself right now. I just hope this thread can be shoved in face like my infamous JOSH MCCOWN IS THE ANSWER thread was for years. I enjoy being proven wrong more than people think.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
believe me, I ain't happy with myself right now. I just hope this thread can be shoved in face like my infamous JOSH MCCOWN IS THE ANSWER thread was for years. I enjoy being proven wrong more than people think.

You thought Josh McCown was the answer? lmao.. How come I never seen that thread?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Spurs in 6. When even the homers don't have the courage to go any stronger than Suns in 7, that's a bad sign.

Having said that, I said Lakers in 7 (Edit: Sorry, I meant Suns over the Lakers in 7, of course), which put me two games off. So if I'm two games off on this one too ... well, you can do the math.

Last edited:

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Normally I would be afraid to pick us, but for some reason this year I honestly am not. Maybe because this is the culmination of everything we've done the last 3 years, and I can accept a loss. If we lose, we dont deserve to be the champs, and I accept that.

Suns in 7. Back and forth series, which we will mostly certainly trail at times, but the key is to never get too emotiomally high or low. We most certainly will lose one of the first two home games, maybe even game 1, but we must keep the patience of a champion and never panic.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs in 6. When even the homers don't have the courage to go any stronger than Suns in 7, that's a bad sign.

Having said that, I said Lakers in 7, which put me two games off. So if I'm two games off on this one too ... well, you can do the math.

You picked the lakers in the last round?

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
lets just say that at this moment in time I dont have a lot of kool-aid in my system

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You thought Josh McCown was the answer? lmao.. How come I never seen that thread?

ask Mao - he's got that thing on speed dial! Those were dark days.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask and you shall receive...

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36357

Probably belongs among ASFN's Greatest Hits. Cheesebeef strangely overdoses on Kool-Aid while ultra-McClown apologist Rats debates Shaun King superfan This_Guy in a no holds barred 'Who's the Worse QB' pissing contest.

like I said. it was a strange period in my life.

and seriously, Mao,do you just have that link tucked away somewhere? You're always on it like lightning!

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
SUNS IN 6. Yeah, I'm myopic... so what.

Game 1: PHX
Game 2: SA
Game 3: PHX
Game 4: SA
Game 5: PHX
Game 6: PHX

Reasons PHX wins:

- Phoenix will try (and be successful at) imposing their will on SA. This means playing Suns ball. I'm hopeful PHX remains focused on the task at hand... and realize this is a golden opportunity.

- SA does not have the horses to keep up with PHX. Francisco and Fabricio aren't going to have a chance in hell of stopping Amare once Timmy takes a breather or switches up.

- Who will matchup with LB? Finley? Not a chance. Ginobilli? Welcome to foul trouble. Beno Udrih? Brent Barry?

Barbosa is a nightmare matchup for SA. The X Factor. Pick you poison. PHX must make them pay.

- Amare and his coming-out party on defense. You heard it here first. Amare turns into Bill Russell-lite... and carries PHX on the inside D.

Reasons SA Wins:

- Suns don't cover the 3 (lets Finley, Barry, or the Nose get going).
- Suns walk the ball, and become content with slugging it out.
- Suns get caught up in the Crying Game starring Tim Duncan.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I wrote my preview for the front page for anyone who cares. :) The link is in the first thread on the page.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Huh? Can you be anymore insulting? Just because I said Suns in 7, that makes me a homer?

Come on, Chaplin, you're one of the biggest homers on the board. That's not an insult; it just speaks to your loyalty as a fan. By now we all know each other. I'm considered a pessimist, cheesebeef is bipolar, F-Dog monitors the betting world, and jbeecham is the designated guy to complain about the officiating.

But in any case, my comment wasn't about only you. Very few people, even on this board, are predicting the Suns in less than 7, and those that are say things like "Well I know this is silly, but what the heck." The consensus of the board, if you factor everyone in, is that winning in 7 is the best the Suns can hope for. That's a very thin edge to hang our hopes on.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Suns in 7....I would say 6 but we won't win an elimination game on the Spurs home court. Although things might change a little after TD's whole run-in with Crawford at the end of the season. Hopefully the Spurs wont get ALL of the calls at home this year.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I say Suns in 7.

Spilt the first 4 with each winning one on the road and hold home court after that.

I just think this is a very evenly matched series with both teams having thier strengths.

I am also with Birdman21 that I would say 6 but am pessimistic that we will be able to close them out on the road.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort