Rondale Moore silence is deafening

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You were negative on him before the season started last year.
I was indeed. Another tiny WR in the 2nd round, and a guy who was oft-injured to boot. If we'd taken him later in the draft, it would have been a different story. I still haven't seen anything to say he's going to break out this season. Let's prove me wrong.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was indeed. Another tiny WR in the 2nd round, and a guy who was oft-injured to boot. If we'd taken him later in the draft, it would have been a different story. I still haven't seen anything to say he's going to break out this season. Let's prove me wrong.
And even if he doesn't, the Cardinals have a number of decent quality receivers to pick up the slack....

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not really for 6 games. I feel a lot better for us game 7, but combine the brutal opening schedule with Dhop's suspension, and we need Rondale to step up.
Or Dortch to step up. It's schemable. The Cardinals still will have Green, Moore, Brown, TEs, and RBs to catch passes.

Personally, I'm a believer that the issue down the stretch was Murray more than anything else. When he lost the ability to just throw accurate one-on-one balls to Hopkins, he mostly fell apart.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not really for 6 games. I feel a lot better for us game 7, but combine the brutal opening schedule with Dhop's suspension, and we need Rondale to step up.
I actually disagree with this. I think that Rondale is overhyped in a vaccuum as a second-round pick. He'll probably do about as well living up to that draft status and Andy Isabella has. I don't think that he'll fill the role of Christian Kirk because (1) I believe Hollywood Brown is going to take Kirk's touches and (2) I don't believe that Rondale can play outside in the NFL.

That limits the amount he can contribute to 4WR sets and gadget stuff where he's coming out of the backfield or we don't have an RB on the field or something. This is more "Why did we invest a 2nd round pick in a guy who's going to be the fifth option in the offense" than anything else.

Passing Options until D-Hop Comes Back
1) Hollywood
2) Ertz
3) Connor
4) Green
5) Rondale

Once DHop comes back Hollywood probably slides into that slot position in 3 WR sets and Moore has even less of a role. What's the point?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually disagree with this. I think that Rondale is overhyped in a vaccuum as a second-round pick. He'll probably do about as well living up to that draft status and Andy Isabella has. I don't think that he'll fill the role of Christian Kirk because (1) I believe Hollywood Brown is going to take Kirk's touches and (2) I don't believe that Rondale can play outside in the NFL.

That limits the amount he can contribute to 4WR sets and gadget stuff where he's coming out of the backfield or we don't have an RB on the field or something. This is more "Why did we invest a 2nd round pick in a guy who's going to be the fifth option in the offense" than anything else.

Passing Options until D-Hop Comes Back
1) Hollywood
2) Ertz
3) Connor
4) Green
5) Rondale

Once DHop comes back Hollywood probably slides into that slot position in 3 WR sets and Moore has even less of a role. What's the point?

Brown is going to take Nuk snaps through 6 and Green snaps thereon.

Some Moore too because people will move around rotating 4 guys through mostly 3 spots.

Kliff has said, multiple times, that Rondale will take Kirk's role.

“I think he wanted to play more last year, but we had all those guys — Christian Kirk, DeAndre Hopkins, A.J. Green — playing at a high level,” Kingsbury said, via the team’s website. “But he’s worked hard this offseason and we feel he can step into Christian’s role and play at a high level inside there. I think the confidence is high right now, and he knows he’s got a big opportunity coming.”

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Brown is going to take Nuk snaps through 6 and Green snaps thereon.

Some Moore too because people will move around rotating 4 guys through mostly 3 spots.

Kliff has said, multiple times, that Rondale will take Kirk's role.
He did until Hollywood got here. He also said that they're going to have to get creative about how to get him the ball. They haven't said much about Rondale since he got hurt (again).

I've said this many times, but I expect that Brown will take Nuk snaps in 2 WR sets and slide inside in 3WR sets. This might change if Wesley can't get on the field. Wouldn't be surprised if the Cards put Dortch on the outside and moved Hollywood inside.

We'll find out in 10 days.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If Rondale Moore doesnt pan out, the leage needs to ban Keim from drafting WRs to protect him from himself

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Rondale Moore doesnt pan out, the leage needs to ban Keim from drafting WRs to protect him from himself
Should ban him altogether from drafting period.

Leaving him only to work on his trade magic.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He did until Hollywood got here. He also said that they're going to have to get creative about how to get him the ball. They haven't said much about Rondale since he got hurt (again).

I've said this many times, but I expect that Brown will take Nuk snaps in 2 WR sets and slide inside in 3WR sets. This might change if Wesley can't get on the field. Wouldn't be surprised if the Cards put Dortch on the outside and moved Hollywood inside.

We'll find out in 10 days.

The quote is from June long after Brown signing.

This is from the last month,

"He's a tremendous player. We had a lot of great wideouts last year. I am big on addressing the problem right there so you don't let it fester. We had some difficult conversations, but he'll get his opportunities this year."

Brown, Moore and Nuk are all long term players. Green is on a cheap deal, probably on his last year playing. They ain't going to sacrifice Moore snaps for Green.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know it's PS, but this year and last Dortch has looked good. And with our dwindling supply of WR's, I think we'll get to see him in the regular season. I feel he'll do well.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The quote is from June long after Brown signing.

This is from the last month,

"He's a tremendous player. We had a lot of great wideouts last year. I am big on addressing the problem right there so you don't let it fester. We had some difficult conversations, but he'll get his opportunities this year."

Brown, Moore and Nuk are all long term players. Green is on a cheap deal, probably on his last year playing. They ain't going to sacrifice Moore snaps for Green.

Oh, well that quote sure makes it sound like Moore is going to get the 103 targets that Christian Kirk got last year. Give me a break, my guy.

I think that Nuk is likely to be gone the year after we extend Brown, and 12 months from now we'll be asking the same questions about Moore that we've been asking about Isabella the past 2 years.

The evidence will present itself soon. Moore wasn't taking any snaps from Green last season -- what's changed since then? The person taking snaps from Moore last year was Antoine Wesley. Neither of them are practicing right now.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, well that quote sure makes it sound like Moore is going to get the 103 targets that Christian Kirk got last year. Give me a break, my guy.

I think that Nuk is likely to be gone the year after we extend Brown, and 12 months from now we'll be asking the same questions about Moore that we've been asking about Isabella the past 2 years.

The evidence will present itself soon. Moore wasn't taking any snaps from Green last season -- what's changed since then? The person taking snaps from Moore last year was Antoine Wesley. Neither of them are practicing right now.
I agree that we have about 1 more season of Hopkins after this one and then the Cardinals move on.

However I don't see any comparison between Isabella and Moore. They are completely different players. Moore already has more receptions and yards in one season than Isabella has in his 3 seasons.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree that we have about 1 more season of Hopkins after this one and then the Cardinals move on.

However I don't see any comparison between Isabella and Moore. They are completely different players. Moore already has more receptions and yards in one season than Isabella has in his 3 seasons.
It all depends on what Moore or Brown can do. Isabella was drafted to play inside and once he couldn't do that better than the inside guy they already had in Kirk, they tried him outside. Well, Isabella couldn't play outside either and thus was a wasted pick.

The same can happen to Rondale IF either Rondale can't demonstrate success both inside and outside OR can't be better than Brown in the slot and Brown isn't successful more successful outside than he has been in his career with the Ravens.

It has been a huge reason why you don't see Hopkins in the the slot. They don't have many other options to play outside because they keep drafting small, slot guys.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Moore wasn't taking any snaps from Green last season -- what's changed since then?

What's changed apart from Moore not being a rookie any more and Green being a year closer to retirement and only getting paid $3.5m vs $7m?

Why do you keep using Isabella as a comparison?

Moore has more yards in half a season than Andy has in 3 years.

Moore is 60 snaps off passing Isabella's career total.

The only thing they have in common is they are both WR's picked in round 2.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What's changed apart from Moore not being a rookie any more and Green being a year closer to retirement and only getting paid $3.5m vs $7m?

Why do you keep using Isabella as a comparison?

Moore has more yards in half a season than Andy has in 3 years.

Moore is 60 snaps off passing Isabella's career total.

The only thing they have in common is they are both WR's picked in round 2.
I would argue that both Isabella and Moore have similar small stature and seem to have been drafted for a defined slot role. The issue with Isabella is that they already had a slot guy in Kirk, and now the Cardinals have added a successful slot guy in Brown. Kirk was not able to thrive outside so Isabella ended up with a smaller role. If Brown OR Moore aren't able to outplay Green outside or be successful outside, Moore is the player whose role will be reduced.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would argue that both Isabella and Moore have similar small stature and seem to have been drafted for a defined slot role. The issue with Isabella is that they already had a slot guy in Kirk, and now the Cardinals have added a successful slot guy in Brown. Kirk was not able to thrive outside so Isabella ended up with a smaller role. If Brown OR Moore aren't able to outplay Green outside or be successful outside, Moore is the player whose role will be reduced.

Not sure that's entirely true. They started Isabella outside as a rookie. Or certainly gave him a mix. I don't think he was drafted just to play slot. It just leaned that way when everyone realized Mr Magoo has better ball tracking and he can't catch extended.

Brown can already play outside so that's not an issue.

But really Moore and Isabella should not ever be compared. They are nowhere near the same quality.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not sure that's entirely true. They started Isabella outside as a rookie. Or certainly gave him a mix. I don't think he was drafted just to play slot. It just leaned that way when everyone realized Mr Magoo has better ball tracking and he can't catch extended.

But really Moore and Isabella should not ever be compared. They are nowhere near the same quality.
Fine. If you like it better run with Cbus's Tayvon Austin comparison.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Lining up outside is different than being productive outside. Christian Kirk is a recent example of this you can reference.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lining up outside is different than being productive outside. Christian Kirk is a recent example of this you can reference.
FWIW, according to football outsiders at least, Christian Kirk was as good in his limited targets on the outside as he was from the slot. It's just that 80% of his targets came from the slot. According to PlayerProfiler, half his snaps were from the slot and half were on the outside.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine. If you like it better run with Cbus's Tayvon Austin comparison.

If Rondale never gets better sure. But his rookie year was the 2nd best season of Austin's pro career.

I don't think he'll ever be a #1 WR but I do think he can play.

I just hope we don't get too enamored with giving him the ball at RB I'm fine with him lining up in the backfield and getting the ball occasionally but he's just not big enough to try and play him even remotely like Deebo.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
People will wish they had picked him. He‘ll have numbers similar or better than Kirk’s.

Why would anyone draft a WR2/3 on a team with Nuk, Brown, Green, Ertz and a receiving back in James Conner?

I expect him to have more than 800 yards, but that's not someone I want to draft outside of late, late rounds. The same reasons I wouldn't draft Mecole Hardman, Jarvis Landry, Curtis Samuel etc

It's nothing to do with what he can do and everything to do with only one ball and lots of hands to feed.

Tyler Boyd has 2 1000 yard seasons, had 850 the last 2 years, and his rank is 57 and his ADP #123. For exactly this reason.
Man, these posts are going to age absolutely wonderfully.

In the last 12 regular season games Rondale Moore played (he will have missed six consecutive games this week) he's averaged 3.6 receptions and 21.1 yards per game.