Rodney Hudson - returns after holding out?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
To really freak people out, here are the OL under contract next year without Hudson.

Josh Jones
Lecitus Smith - Rookie
Marquis Hayes - Rookie
Sean Harlow - RFA

Amazing long term plan to support your franchise QB. Ok @kerouac9 maybe I am a bit gloomy and doomy.
I've been pointing this out since last year.

Our upcoming cap situation next year is just simply bad. We're constantly in this recycling players situation with zero consistency on the roster because we can't draft.

Really not looking forward to this season. It's the first time I've ever even considered that on Sundays I might start coming up with some other things to do and checking out the highlights or a replay over the week.

Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I've been pointing this out since last year.

Our upcoming cap situation next year is just simply bad. We're constantly in this recycling players situation with zero consistency on the roster because we can't draft.

Really not looking forward to this season. It's the first time I've ever even considered that on Sundays I might start coming up with some other things to do and checking out the highlights or a replay over the week.
We don't really have a cap situation...our cap is pretty good. The problem is that the picks we do hit on we are not re-signing.

If Keim re-signs Humphries, Thompson, Murphy, and Zach Allen that at least retains some starters who are league average or above to re-set the defense with. Re-signing Humphries gets you a guy you can count on at LT and then you have WR/RB/QB/TE set. Yes, adding 4 OL is a lot but if you aren't having to add a starting CB, S, LT, and DL as well it is a little easier to do.

That was the mistake of letting Kirk head into his contract year. Not only did it let go a productive albeit limited player we drafted, but it then forced us to use a 2nd round pick on Rondale Moore who I like but we hope he at least becomes what Kirk was. If we aren't looking at WR maybe we consider Ojulari, Friermuth, or Creed Humphrey at that spot which fills other roster holes.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We don't really have a cap situation...our cap is pretty good. The problem is that the picks we do hit on we are not re-signing.

If Keim re-signs Humphries, Thompson, Murphy, and Zach Allen that at least retains some starters who are league average or above to re-set the defense with. Re-signing Humphries gets you a guy you can count on at LT and then you have WR/RB/QB/TE set. Yes, adding 4 OL is a lot but if you aren't having to add a starting CB, S, LT, and DL as well it is a little easier to do.

That was the mistake of letting Kirk head into his contract year. Not only did it let go a productive albeit limited player we drafted, but it then forced us to use a 2nd round pick on Rondale Moore who I like but we hope he at least becomes what Kirk was. If we aren't looking at WR maybe we consider Ojulari, Friermuth, or Creed Humphrey at that spot which fills other roster holes.
Not only did we use a 2nd round pick on Moore, we also traded a 1st round pick for Marquise Brown (at best, a marginal upgrade), whom we'll have to pay in a year, anyway.

If Rondale Moore was truly on a trajectory to take Christian Kirk's reps no way we make the Brown trade. No one knows Rondale Moore better than the Cardinals do.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Our cap situation is a challenge because we're being forced to sign Kyler soon, likely a similar situation with Hollywood if he pans out at all, and have a ton of roster spots to fill next year.

But, yeah, we'll see.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lack of a multi-year roster plan showing the impact. Keim has consistently dumped multiple resources to plug a single roster hole.

WR is the best example of this.

Also a failure to extend the picks that have worked leaves us in a bind. Why the hell are Humphries, Allen, Murphy, and Jalen Thompson heading into the season all without new contracts? We saw what happened when he played that game with Kirk.

FAs in 2023 for AZ
AJ Green - WR
Humphries - LT
Pugh - LG
Hernandez - RG
Beachum - RT
JJ Watt - DL
Zach Allen - DL
Markus Golden - EDGE
Devon Kennard - EDGE
Byron Murphy - CB
Jalen Thompson - S
Matt Prater - K
Andy Lee - P
Aaron Brewer - LS

That is 14 of 25 starters (including K, P, LS). Hudson makes at 15 and would mean 60% of starters unsigned and with little experience behind them on the roster.

Definitely worth a five year extension

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not only did we use a 2nd round pick on Moore, we also traded a 1st round pick for Marquise Brown (at best, a marginal upgrade), whom we'll have to pay in a year, anyway.

If Rondale Moore was truly on a trajectory to take Christian Kirk's reps no way we make the Brown trade. No one knows Rondale Moore better than the Cardinals do.
Why do you say that? I was under the impression that Brown played outside while Moore was slot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The lack of a multi-year roster plan showing the impact. Keim has consistently dumped multiple resources to plug a single roster hole.

WR is the best example of this.

Also a failure to extend the picks that have worked leaves us in a bind. Why the hell are Humphries, Allen, Murphy, and Jalen Thompson heading into the season all without new contracts? We saw what happened when he played that game with Kirk.

FAs in 2023 for AZ
AJ Green - WR
Humphries - LT
Pugh - LG
Hernandez - RG
Beachum - RT
JJ Watt - DL
Zach Allen - DL
Markus Golden - EDGE
Devon Kennard - EDGE
Byron Murphy - CB
Jalen Thompson - S
Matt Prater - K
Andy Lee - P
Aaron Brewer - LS

That is 14 of 25 starters (including K, P, LS). Hudson makes at 15 and would mean 60% of starters unsigned and with little experience behind them on the roster.
Now THAT’S continuity!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Cmon. Who could’ve seen a GM who drafted ILBs with back to back first rounders also spending a 1st and 2nd on undersized WRs in back to back drafts?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why do you say that? I was under the impression that Brown played outside while Moore was slot.
He played outside in Baltimores in-breaking offense, but in this one? He’s not going to see the volume here that he saw with the Ravens.

There’s almost no precedent for a productive perimeter receiver at Browns size in a real NFL offense.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It isn't dollar related. They just restructured his deal to get him more guaranteed money last year. Guess is that he is considering retirement.

Hudson is the 7th highest paid C.
When a franchise refers to working on a 'problem', that's personal talk, not business. Retirement is what I am thinking too, because I have never heard the man having an addiction or character issue

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
When a franchise refers to working on a 'problem', that's personal talk, not business. Retirement is what I am thinking too, because I have never heard the man having an addiction or character issue
I recall that he really wanted to go play for Kansas City when he was about to be cut from the Raiders, and that we kinda cut in and made the trade. That might be the issue - he just wants to be somewhere else, not here, money be damned.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Couple of interesting comments:

Kingsbury wouldn't go into detail on Hudson.

"Yeah, no update," Kingsbury said. "We're working through something with him. As soon as we know, we'll have that update."
Not "we'll see him soon" but we'll have that update.

Right tackle Kelvin Beachum spoke to 98.7 FM Arizona Sports' Wolf & Luke about how Hudson's doing and if both sides can come together with whatever issue is occurring.

"As far as I know he's doing well," Beachum said. "He just had a son not too long ago. (He) has a young daughter so I know he's putting family first as any father would and I know the rest will be handled between him and the organization. Know that he's in good spirits and excited to see what comes from it over the next couple of weeks."
"Excited to see what comes from it..."

It?

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We planned both of our kids around my wife’s work schedule. You’d think it wouldn’t be beyond the pale for someone making millions of dollars to do something similar, if that’s indeed the excuse.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We planned both of our kids around my wife’s work schedule. You’d think it wouldn’t be beyond the pale for someone making millions of dollars to do something similar, if that’s indeed the excuse.
Yeah. Sorry, if he retires, take back as much bonus money/salary/whatever $$$ we can. Screw him. He knew about his family situation, and to leave it this late is classless. Want to retire to take care of your family? That makes a ton of sense. Do it when you aren't screwing everyone else, then.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Retiring without giving the team enough notice to prepare for his replacement would be a “character issue”
Then most athletes have character issues. It’s pretty common for athletes to retire out of the blue, because they show up to camp/practice/offseason workouts and realize their body and/or mind just can’t move forward. Most athletes don’t have careers of 10+ years, where you could maybe plan ahead.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Kliff with the same crap he said about Butler last off season.
This is not Kliff's fault, and as always. most coaches are not going to make direct statements about a player's situation to appease the fans and make something personal public... releasing more info just makes more problems

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I mostly agree but I also think it's pretty clear the Brown trade was also about trying to make Kyler as comfortable as possible. If you're about to commit a ton of money to your QB you want to make him as set up as possible. They decided to do that by getting a WR he knows well.

And then apparently giving him no offensive line to speak of unfortunately.

Based on the article yesterday Beachum seems to be implying he thinks Hudson is "being a family man" right now. Apparently had a son not all that long ago, has a young daughter and Beachum suspects that's why he's not here. If true that suggests hes' leaning to retiring IMO

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose