OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could the title please be changed to Rocky Balboa or Rocky Balboa (Rocky VI) ...

Thanks.

BIM

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, it was finally merged and the wrong name is the one they kept???

Hey, Wendy--did you go see it?

When merging, it takes the older thread.

I've never seen ANY Rocky's so excuse me if it's a bit confusing on keeping track of which Rocky it is.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people I've heard talk about it have talked positively about it.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a Rocky 5? I don't remember a movie after the russian guy.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When merging, it takes the older thread.

I've never seen ANY Rocky's so excuse me if it's a bit confusing on keeping track of which Rocky it is.

learn something new every day!

Wow...never seen any of them...just wow.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a Rocky 5? I don't remember a movie after the russian guy.

How can you forget Rocky V?

The bankruptcy...the medical reasons for not boxing...Tommy "Machine" Gunn...George Washington Duke (Don King clone)...the street fight...

:shrug:

Mojo

Veteran
Reaction score

The bankruptcy...the medical reasons for not boxing...Tommy "Machine" Gunn...George Washington Duke (Don King clone)...the street fight...

So to answer your question, no there wasn't a Rocky V

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
robert redford?

Sure.

Wilford Brimley?

Um, no.

I'd say this one ranks up there with the original as the best of the series.

It was a fitting way to say goodbye to a figure of our youth, and a well deserved goodbye for the Rocky character.

I FINALLY saw it today and I agree. I absolutely loved it. Of course, I spent the first five minutes of the movie naming all the Philly landmarks. (I'm sure the people sitting around me thought I was the single crazy lady who talks to herself, lol!) I spent many a drunken night in the Irish Pub. :)

I thought it was well done and I was VERY pleased with the story. Specifically:

That Rocky doesn't win the match. That would have been a little too over the top. And that Rocky doesn't start hooking up with the chick. That woulda ticked me off.

I stayed until the end of the credits. Watching all those crazy people run up the art museum steps made me a little homesick though. Everyone I know has made a fool of themselves running up those steps (myself included).

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stayed until the end of the credits. Watching all those crazy people run up the art museum steps made me a little homesick though. Everyone I know has made a fool of themselves running up those steps (myself included).

I thought that might get to you. I'm glad you finally went, and I'm really glad you liked it! :)

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that might get to you. I'm glad you finally went, and I'm really glad you liked it! :)

Yeah, I loved it and I will go again! I was definitely the only one walking outta the theater misty-eyed, lol! And then I called/texted all my "ugly friends from Jersey" and told them they MUST go see it! (BTW, anyone know where that quote is from?)

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just came back from seeing this movie and I definitely give it thumbs up!:thumbup: I won't spoil it for those who have not seen it but the ending in my opinion was perfect. I am very glad the Rocky series ended with this one and not with Rocky 5(the worst of the six movies).

This is how I rank the Rocky movies:
1)Rocky
2)tie-Rocky II and Rocky Balboa
4)Rocky III
5)Rocky IV
6)Rocky V

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I try and pretend they never made that awful movie.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how I rank the Rocky movies:
1)Rocky
2)tie-Rocky II and Rocky Balboa
4)Rocky III
5)Rocky IV
6)Rocky V

my vote goes:
1) Rocky
2) Rocky II
3) tie Rocky III/Rocky Balboa
4) Rocky IV
5) Rocky V

My only reason balboa gets as low as it is, is because of my spoiler in a previous post, about the actual fight scenes.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I thought it was well done and I was VERY pleased with the story. Specifically:

That Rocky doesn't win the match. That would have been a little too over the top. And that Rocky doesn't start hooking up with the chick. That woulda ticked me off.

Couldn't have had Rocky win the final match. I think the way it ended, him losing a split decision to the champ that everyone suspected couldn't go the distance (see Rocky 1, vs. Apollo Creed) really brought the series full circle and ended it very nicely. As for him hooking up with Little Marie, with the whole story basically being based of how Adrian's death was beating him emotionally, and breaking him down, there's no way that would have been able to be written in to the script.. Also, I think Mason Dixon's character, played very well by Antonio Tarver, was the most believable challenge he had since Creed. Clubber Lang, Ivan Drago and even to a degree Tommy Gunn were too much of the dramatic, cartoonish types that might have been better suited for a professional wrestling movie.. Then again, the name "Mason The Line Dixon" sounds like something that comes out of Professional Wrestling so meh.

I especially liked all the past montages and am glad they went with the flashbacks rather than what rumors I'd heard, including crap like Clubber Lang being the preacher at Adrian's funeral, or Lang being the promoter who used Dixon to get "revenge" on Rocky for ending his career, or even worse Drago being Rocky's cornerman for the fight, which hinged on pure stupidity.

I stayed till the bitter end too.. The steps at the Philadelphia Art Museum... Heh.. I remember running them, tripping and falling on my face the first time I did it LOL.

Damn.. Now I'M starting to get homesick.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I'm a massive dork I know.. But here's some Rocky related trivia for everyone...

1-- Which professional football team did Carl Weathers play for before retiring in 1974 to become a professional actor?

A) Kansas City Chiefs
B) Philadelphia Eagles
C) Oakland Raiders
D) Detroit Lions

2-- Which boxer was NOT originally considered for the role of Mason "The Line" Dixon, later cast by Antonio Tarver?

A) Roy Jones Jr.
B) Jermain Taylor
C) Sergio Mora
D) Bernard Hopkins

3-- Which of her co-stars was Talia Shire romantically linked to?

A) Sylvester Stallone
B) Carl Weathers
C) Tony Burton
D) Burt Young

4-- Tommy Morrison, who played Tommy Gunn in Rocky 5, is the great nephew of which movie legend?

A) John Wayne
B) Elvis
C) Judy Garland
D) Marilyn Monroe

5-- The character of Little Marie was cast in 3 of the 6 Rocky movies, including the current. Which of these was she NOT cast in.

A) 1
B) 3
C) 5

6-- Which heavyweight boxers were NOT originally offered the role as Clubber Lang in Rocky 3 before it was accepted by Mr. T? (2 answers)

A) Larry Holmes
B) Joe Frazier
C) Ken Norton
D) Ernie Shavers

7-- In which movies did Sylvester Stallone's wives/soon to be wives appear in? (2 answers)

A) I
B) II
C) III
D) IV

8-- Out of the five Rocky films that featured an official boxing match for the final battle (one through six), which one does NOT feature a concluding fight that goes 15 Rounds?

A) II
B) Rocky Balboa
C) III
D) IV

9-- True or False, the original script for Rocky 5 had Rocky killed by Tommy Gunn?

10-- How did Rocky claim he was given the nickname "Italian Stallion"?

A) His girlfriend gave it to him
B) Paulie gave it to him
C) Adrian named him it
D) While eating dinner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard