RM's: Mock Extravaganza

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Well the draft is almost here, and I will be honest, I am clueless as the rest of you on where the Cardinals are going and what there goals are.

Coach Wilks is an interesting personality, a large personality, much like Arians, but just with a different flavor. All you have to do is read, watch, and listen to the man, and realize he is not lacking any confidence, and that he believes in what he is doing.

Of course, that means Jack squat, and the proof will come once the pads go on, and the games begin. Until then ?

Well, it is a matter of Wilks building his team. Anyone thinking this is not a re-build of both the roster, and the system in which this team will operate, is in my mind quite naive. Not trying to slam anyone, but if you do not think this is a rebuild then please, just think about it. Almost 1/2 the roster is turned over, starters have left, the defensive system is going to a 4-3, the offensive system is going to power running.

I am excited for the overdue change. I think it was a bit of a wasted season last season when the Cardinals didn't get the message in 2016 that 2015 was over, and the big lie that the Cardinals convinced themselves was the truth, that the "2015 team" was basically the 2016 team and 2017 team. No. Just no. The 2016 had more than 1/2 the starters hurt, or they left, and 2017 was even worse.

So, it is time for a new beginning, and I for one am looking forward to it.

The Cardinals spent free agency paying the cost of "going for it" for the last couple of seasons, with a bloated roster full of older, and over priced players. Getting rid of a lot of dead weight, a lot of players that no longer fit the scheme, and just plain purging the roster. All you have to do is look at the cap numbers for next season, and it is not a shock that the main goal for this year, per the press conferences is, "a competitive team". No longer a Super Bowl ring, just be competitive.

Why? Because this team is going to rebuild, find its core, and hit the ground running next season. Does that mean this will be a lost season ? I do not think so. Any thing can happen in the NFL, and I for one like watching a new team come together.

So, lets get to it.

2018 draft is around the corner, and I did a bunch of mocks.

My method this year was simple. I studied players, found a group of players that I thought would fit the new system (which is tough since I do not have a "vibe" on the new staff and their preferences). Once I got my group of players, then I looked through 10 to 15 databases both pre and post-combine, found the average of where those players are rated, and made my own ratings based on that.

Then I mocked my butt off.

Where I fail in all this, is that I draft for need. I cannot help myself, I just do. Yes, I do the best player available as best I can, but in the end, I cannot bring myself to draft three inside linebackers in one draft.

My disclaimer in all this, is these are mock drafts, they are not accurate, and never will be. So, if ESPN has a guy in the 4th, and I drafted him in the 2nd, or visa versa, well, that is mock drafting.

There are players still, with draft just about here, who are rated from the 2nd round to being an Undrafted free agent.......that is a quite a range to try to keep in order with all these players. Just look at Kameron Kelly, CB/S. I have seen this physical specimen rated in the 2nd round, and also as one of the bottom of the barrel undrafted free agents. So your guess is as good as mine, as good as 40 mock draft sites, as good as ESPN, as good as Mel Kiper, and as good as Mike Mayock.

So, take it for what it is worth.

If I had to make my own mock draft, based on the information below and what I have seen, this would be the consensus, the guy should be there at that round, and who I would like to see drafted:

MY MOCK DRAFT 2018:
1 - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
2 - Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn
3 - Darius Leonard, ILB, South Carolina State
3 - Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas
4 - A. Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame, B. Auden Tate, WR, Florida St.
5 - Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin
6 - A. Matthew Thomas, ILB Florida St., B. Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech
7 - A. Davontae Harris, CB, Illinois St., B. Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia

Below are my groups of players, by round, that I thought were the best for the Cardinals and honestly who I liked the best as well. Then the pages that follow show all the post-combine drafts I have. The pre-combine drafts can be found here: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/fanspeak-on-the-clock.259283/page-2

Player Groups:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Mock Drafts:

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
More Mock Drafts:

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
More Mock Drafts:

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
More Mock Drafts:

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
More Mock Drafts:

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
More Mock Drafts:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
lots of work man...awesome.... I havent been able to get so deep into it all this year.

I can barely read your notes...might be me, might be the notes...I dunno...

maybe type up a recap??

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
More Mock Drafts:

There are people who love you man... step away from Fanspeak and attempt to talk about more than football around your loved ones, though I fully encourage you to think about football and the draft whenever you can without thinking Josh Allen should be Cardinal lol

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
RM--Some impressive work! Send those notes over to SK pronto! Thanks for sharing your homework.

Oaken1---Move your mouse cursor over the image and left click on the mouse. That should expand the graphic image of RM's notes. If that isn't magnified enough, hit the CTRL and + key at the same time---this should expand the image up to 200%. If that doesn't help, don't get behind the wheel of a car anymore---if you can find it.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
There are people who love you man... step away from Fanspeak and attempt to talk about more than football around your loved ones, though I fully encourage you to think about football and the draft whenever you can without thinking Josh Allen should be Cardinal lol

:lmao:

That is awesome.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
lots of work man...awesome.... I havent been able to get so deep into it all this year.

I can barely read your notes...might be me, might be the notes...I dunno...

maybe type up a recap??

Yeah, the notes did not come out well, my apologies. I kind of had to rush things.

If I get time I will see what I can do for a write up. Like you, just been a busy time of year.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Coach Wilks is an interesting personality, a large personality, much like Arians, but just with a different flavor. All you have to do is read, watch, and listen to the man, and realize he is not lacking any confidence, and that he believes in what he is doing.

Of course, that means Jack squat, and the proof will come once the pads go on, and the games begin. Until then ?

Well, it is a matter of Wilks building his team. Anyone thinking this is not a re-build of both the roster, and the system in which this team will operate, is in my mind quite naive. Not trying to slam anyone, but if you do not think this is a rebuild then please, just think about it. Almost 1/2 the roster is turned over, starters have left, the defensive system is going to a 4-3, the offensive system is going to power running.

I am excited for the overdue change.

While I agree and am looking forward to a change that was somewhat in the works under BA with D Johnsons emergence as the new face of the franchise, until injuries just completely demolished any slight chance of a repeat performane of 2015. Reality set in and reliance on the passing game that fueled that record was in the trash heap.They really were fighting a losing cause, but the D fought pretty well and pulled out their fair share of games that could have easily gone the other way and kept the seasons fairly competitive. But last year it all unraveled. That's how I viewed it anyway.

This team sure seems to be at a crossroads between vets and complete rebuild. I see them looking for a few breaks in the division this season, reguarding their own health that eluded this team and maybe a fall back (longshot right now) of the Rams. 9ers aren't there yet, and Hags are in rebuild pretty much. So we'll see. It will be be an eventful year.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MY MOCK DRAFT 2018:
1 - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
2 - Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn
3 - Darius Leonard, ILB, South Carolina State
3 - Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas
4 - A. Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame, B. Auden Tate, WR, Florida St.
5 - Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin
6 - A. Matthew Thomas, ILB Florida St., B. Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech
7 - A. Davontae Harris, CB, Illinois St., B. Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia

Player Groups:

:barf:

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My LOL draft:

15: R1P15

CB JAIRE ALEXANDER
LOUISVILLE
47: R2P15

WR CHRISTIAN KIRK
TEXAS A&M
79: R3P15

DL RASHEEM GREEN
USC
97: R3P33

RB NICK CHUBB
GEORGIA
134: R4P34

WR SIMMIE COBBS JR.
INDIANA
152: R5P15

WR AUDEN TATE
FLORIDA STATE
182: R6P8

QB LUKE FALK
WASHINGTON STATE
254: R7P36

TE JORDAN THOMAS
MISSISSIPPI STATE

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will join the chorus and say amazing job and an incredible amount of work.

IIRC you were well ahead of the curve and predicted before last season that the team was fooling itself and would not contend. You saw the writing on the wall and warned all of us and at least helped me prepare for a disappointing season which helped lessen the blow.

I think you are once again right about what this season will look like.

It looks to me that you don't see the Oline as an area of need and I have to disagree with that. I expect two Olinemen drafted and one no later than rd 3.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m big on Tate. I like Ragnow but unless you think he can play guard I don’t see the Cards taking him. That’s a lot of CBs. Davis might be a sleeper. Isaiah Oliver is another options. He fits the type of CBs Wilks has preferred.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Way too much work Rugby, damn son :shocker: lol

Yep if Keim & Co don’t think this is a total rebuild that’s taking place as we speak, then we as fans should be more worried ugh

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
@RugbyMuffin, thank you for your hard work! Loved reading it, and head exploded at the thought of being able to spend that much time at anything other than working and being a dad...

Well done!

Well, I unfortunately do not have kids, but this year I just did a little bit at a time, usually while watching/listening to hockey, and to be 100% honest the mocks are done because I really like to do them....addicting as all heck. The mocks lead to research, and then after I look at the time spent, I think it would be a waste not to share the information with ASFN.

Glad you enjoyed it and could take something from it.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I’m big on Tate. I like Ragnow but unless you think he can play guard I don’t see the Cards taking him. That’s a lot of CBs. Davis might be a sleeper. Isaiah Oliver is another options. He fits the type of CBs Wilks has preferred.

That 3rd round to 4th round is a crazy spot. When I did my personal mock, I thought it would be easy to just list the names I saw there most.......but you start bringing in the mocks where no QB was available at 15, and others where guys would be rated low, or fall in the mock, it became less "consistent".

I like Frank Ragnow, and I think he could play guard. I think drafting him in the 3rd would be a little high for my tastes, but that is where he is.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Round 1 Pick 31 (N.E.): Mayfield, Baker, QB, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 2 Pick 1 (CLE): Miller, Kolton, OT, UCLA (A)
Round 2 Pick 6 (T.B.): Hughes, Mike, CB, Central Florida (A)
Round 2 Pick 8 (DEN): Price, Billy, C/OG, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 7 (DEN): Griffin, Shaquem, OLB, Central Florida (A)
Round 3 Pick 23 (LAR): Hines, Nyheim, RB, North Carolina State (A)
Round 3 Pick 33: Edmunds, Terrell, SS, Virginia Tech (A)
Round 4 Pick 11 (LAR): McIntosh, RJ, DT, Miami (FL) (A+)
Round 4 Pick 14 (CLE): Cain, Deon, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 5 Pick 15: Igwebuike, Godwin, FS, Northwestern (A)
Round 6 Pick 2 (LAR): Conklin, Tyler, TE, Central Michigan (A+)
Round 7 Pick 36: Ginda, Frank, ILB, San Jose State (A+)

My best mock from the First Pick draft site. The site is fun but not realistic as it had Mayfield and L Jackson falling and with both of them on the board I kept trading back and picking up a ton of draft capital.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard