RIP: Walter Davis (1954-2023)

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Wow... didn't know he was ill. I guess that was why he didn't attend the ROH ceremony. Very sad to hear. He was one of the Suns all time greats. RIP, Sweet D. :(

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the all time greats, what a unique player. I had his poster on my wall when I was a kid, he was my favorite Sun.

RIP.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow. This is so sad. What a great player he was.

R.I.P. Greyhound.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
He was my first favorite player. Growing up he lived about a mile away from me and every Halloween I would trick or treat at his house. He was never the one that answered the door, but I spotted him in the background a couple of times. I was actually just telling my son that story this past Halloween.

Reaction score
See my pinned thread above, "Now the Story Can be Told." This was the part in my history of the Phoenix Suns that Jerry Colangelo threw a fit over. I only included the barest of facts about the Davis plea and rehab. I made no judgements at all. But Jerry didn't want that included in a history of the Phoenix Suns and buried the book. Too bad. I loved WD---"the Greyhound" as Al McCoy called him---but always knew that with his slight build he wouldn't be a forward for too long. Best baseline midrange shot I ever saw.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Dang, he had his demons, but he was a graceful offensive player and a joy to watch.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He was my first favorite player. Growing up he lived about a mile away from me and every Halloween I would trick or treat at his house. He was never the one that answered the door, but I spotted him in the background a couple of times. I was actually just telling my son that story this past Halloween.
Maybe you will see his ghost next Halloween. That would be a story.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns fans are going to miss you, Walter, not only for the person but the player as well.

He was a 6 x NBA All-Star and Rookie of the Year.

Rest in Peace.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson