RIP Pete Postlethwaite

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Sad. He was a great actor.

Oscar-Nominated Star Pete Postlethwaite Dead at 64

Published January 03, 2011
Associated Press

LONDON -- Oscar-nominated British actor Pete Postlethwaite, described by director Steven Spielberg as "the best actor in the world," has died at age 64 after a long battle with cancer.

Longtime friend and journalist Andrew Richardson said Monday that Postlethwaite died in a hospital Sunday.

A gritty and powerful actor, Postlethwaite was nominated for an Oscar for his role in the 1993 film "In The Name Of The Father."

He had recently been seen in the critically acclaimed film "Inception" and had worked with Spielberg on "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" and "Amistad."

Postlethwaite initially planned to become a priest but was drawn to acting.

He received an OBE in 2004 along with many other honors for his long career in movies, theater, and television.

He had recently returned to the stage to star as King Lear.

The actor had been treated at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. Shortly before his death he publicly thanked the hospital staff in the Shropshire Star newspaper for their "wonderful" treatment and care during his illness.

He is survived by his wife, Jacqui, his son Will and daughter, Lily.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, thought he was way older. He was also great in "In the Name of the Father" and "Rat'

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched the Town the other night and commented to my wife how unhealthy the man was looking. I don't know if he was the "best actor in the world" but I've never seen him give anything less than a strong performance. R.I.P.

Steve

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was a good and underrated actor and gave a great performance in whatever movie role he was in. My heart goes out to his family.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He was a good and underrated actor and gave a great performance in whatever movie role he was in. My heart goes out to his family.

I'm not sure he's underrated, he won an Oscar, after all. But he always elevated whatever production he appeared in.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure he's underrated, he won an Oscar, after all. But he always elevated whatever production he appeared in.

He was nominated once, but did not win the Oscar.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at how highly "rated" Johnny Depp and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are, PP was underrated.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hey chappie, have you seen Sofia Coppola's newest? Somewhere? Decent show.

I never really got into Sofia Coppola. Call it the "Godfather 3 Effect" if you'd like. I did enjoy Lost in Translation, but haven't seen her other stuff.

:offtopic:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never really got into Sofia Coppola. Call it the "Godfather 3 Effect" if you'd like. I did enjoy Lost in Translation, but haven't seen her other stuff.

:offtopic:
Yeah, she ain't great, but the movie is okay.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at how highly "rated" Johnny Depp and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are, PP was underrated.

Surely you're not bad-mouthing Phillip Seymour Hoffman? I think the guy has deserved every bit of praise he's received. He might not measure up to Roller Girl (who can?) but I think he's one of the best out there.

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surely you're not bad-mouthing Phillip Seymour Hoffman? I think the guy has deserved every bit of praise he's received. He might not measure up to Roller Girl (who can?) but I think he's one of the best out there.

Steve

Yeah, I am, Shirley. Dude is the same guy everytime.

He wins the Al Pacino award.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am, Shirley. Dude is the same guy everytime.

He wins the Al Pacino award.

I laugh in your general direction. He often gets typecast as a fat white guy for some reason but there is considerable range in his performances. I'll refer you again to Boogie Nights. Now tell me that's the same guy as the one that carries the day in the modern classic "Mission Impossible III".

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I laugh in your general direction. He often gets typecast as a fat white guy for some reason but there is considerable range in his performances. I'll refer you again to Boogie Nights. Now tell me that's the same guy as the one that carries the day in the modern classic "Mission Impossible III".

Steve
You just referred to Mission Impossible III? :iwin: