RIP: Kenny Rogers (1938-2020)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenny Rogers passed away last night from natural causes, he was 81. I was a huge fan of his music back in the 60's when he and a few others left The New Christy Minstrels to form Kenny Rogers & The First Edition and continued to listen to his stuff when he went country.

R.I.P Kenny, thanks for some great tunes such as Just Dropped In, Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town, Tell it All Brother, Heed the Call, Laura (what's he got that I ain't got), Something's Burning, Momma's Waiting, But You Know I love You, Coward of the County, Reuben James, Lucille, The Gambler, What Are We Doing in Love (with Dotty West), Goodbye Marie, Buried Treasure, Twenty Years Ago and so many more.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I, too, was a big First Edition fan. First time I saw them on TV was on the Smothers Brothers show, IIRC.

I saw Kenny in concert once at Irvine Meadows. I was there, mainly, to see the Everly Brothers, who were on their Reunion Tour. (Had to see them back together since I was there that night at Knotts’ when Phil busted his guitar and walked offstage. ). They did not disappoint.

But I was blown away by the show Rogers put on. And impressed by the passion of his fans.

It was one of those great nights in So Cal sitting under the stars and listening to some of the best musicians on the planet.

Salad days.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, too, was a big First Edition fan. First time I saw them on TV was on the Smothers Brothers show, IIRC.

I saw Kenny in concert once at Irvine Meadows. I was there, mainly, to see the Everly Brothers, who were on their Reunion Tour. (Had to see them back together since I was there that night at Knotts’ when Phil busted his guitar and walked offstage. ). They did not disappoint.

But I was blown away by the show Rogers put on. And impressed by the passion of his fans.

It was one of those great nights in So Cal sitting under the stars and listening to some of the best musicians on the planet.

Salad days.

I never missed a Smothers Brothers show so I must have seen it too but I don't recall the episode specifically. I know I saw them on the Jonathan Winters show but that would have been a few years later. And I would have loved to see the concert in Irvine Meadows.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rest in Peace Kenny Rogers.

The words to the song "The Gambler" now has a special meaning.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never missed a Smothers Brothers show so I must have seen it too but I don't recall the episode specifically. I know I saw them on the Jonathan Winters show but that would have been a few years later. And I would have loved to see the concert in Irvine Meadows.
I may be wrong, but IIRC Tommy Smothers wrote the liner notes for their first album.

Also saw the Smothers Brothers live a couple of times. Once at Melodyland (remember it? By Disneyland) when they were just becoming famous and again many years later at The Greek. Special guest star was Olivia Newton John.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another legend has moved on to the next adventure. RIP

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson