RIP: Alan Rickman (1946-2016)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
British Actor Alan Rickman Has Died

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/british-actor-alan-rickman-died/story?id=36283232

British actor Alan Rickman has died, his rep confirmed. He was 69.

Rickman was best known for playing villain Hans Gruber in "Die Hard" and Severus Snape in the "Harry Potter" franchise.

Other notable films in which he appeared were "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves," "Sense and Sensibility" and "Love Actually." In 2007, he starred alongside Johnny Depp in "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street."

Rickman won a Golden Globe, an Emmy and a Screen Actors Guild Award for his portrayal of Rasputin in "Rasputin: Dark Servant of Destiny."

Rickman also directed Emma Thompson in the 1997 film "The Winter Guest" and Kate Winslet in 2014’s "A Little Chaos."

Rickman was one of both film and theater's most admired actors, known for his range and his signature nasal baritone, which could one moment be warm and soothing, and the next convey villainous menace.

Rickman first came to wide notice in 1988, stealing the show as the snide terrorist Hans Gruber opposite Bruce Willis in "Die Hard." But he proved he was equally adept at playing comedy in films like "Dogma," in which he played a sarcastic angel, and "Galaxy Quest," playing an embittered former star of a “Star Trek”-like TV show.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
he had fantastic range...so many times I never realized it was him in a role...and that is the best compliment I can give to an actor.
R.I.P. Mr Rickman

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
R.I.P. He was great. Freaking cancer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the truly great chameleons in cinema. Always brought his A+ game to play well-rounded, truly fantastic villains.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His portrayal of the Sheriff of Nottingham in the 1991 Robin Hood Prince of Thieves was the best. He actually brought a humorous ( dark humor )twist to the evil role. One of my most admired actors.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the truly great chameleons in cinema. Always brought his A+ game to play well-rounded, truly fantastic villains.

You know how some villains you just hate? He played villains I LOVED to hate. He was just brilliant that way.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Such a great actor, I never realized that Hans Gruber was also the dude in the Harry Potter films. (Or maybe I'm just an idiot :shrug: )

RIP Hans Gruber!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is really sad. The guy was phenomenal and by all accounts I'm reading today by people who knew him, he was a phenomenal guy as well.

One of my favorite quotes of his from any movie:

"Why a spoon cousin?"

"Because it's dull you idiot it'll hurt more!"

Great dramatic actor and a great comedic actor, he had fantastic timing.

RIP Severus, mischief managed.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad. He was so good in Die Hard. Stupid Cancer again!!

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheriff of Nottingham: [to a *****] You. My room. 10:30 tonight.

Sheriff of Nottingham: [to another *****] You. 10:45... And bring a friend.

and this

Sheriff of Nottingham: Wait a minute. Robin Hood steals money from my pocket, forcing me to hurt the public, and they love him for it?

[Scribe nods]

Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

The lines were good. His delivery was great.

You must be registered for see images attach

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have watched "Die Hard" at least 20 times. And I've seen all the Harry Potters at least 2-3 times.

Fantastic actor. Sad loss.

RIP.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A part that is tragically overlooked

You must be registered for see images attach

from Sweeney Todd. I don't think I've seen him in role that he didn't nail.

RIP fine sir. Others can only aspire to your talent and greatness in craft.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
HANS!!!!........

BOOBY!!!!

Man.... This sucks.

RIP

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His Sherrif Of Nottingham really is criminally overlooked. He could have been a complete cartoon in the hands of a lesser actor, but Rickman brought just enough tongue planted in cheek with mania to pull it off perfectly.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His Sherrif Of Nottingham really is criminally overlooked. He could have been a complete cartoon in the hands of a lesser actor, but Rickman brought just enough tongue planted in cheek with mania to pull it off perfectly.

"Why a spoon cousin, why not an axe?"

"Because its dull you twit, it will hurt more!"

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Totally agree.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

No doubt. Especially given that the titular character was acted so poorly. Add in a too-cheesy villain, and the movie would have sucked.

"Why a spoon cousin, why not an axe?"

"Because its dull you twit, it will hurt more!"

I quote this all the time!

How amazing is it that Die Hard was his first non-TV movie? I mean, seriously, Hans Gruber is your first major motion picture role? You could have predicted his greatness just from that.