Respect for Torey...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Being a Manager, Head Coach or any other sort of Leader, is an incredibly difficult vocation that comes with a never-ending barrage of challenges. Key decisions need to be made on a seemingly minute to minute basis. But perhaps most challenging, yet most crucial, is the ability for a leader to develop a recognizable and productive culture. Which involves contending with all of the aforementioned challenges, as well as constantly dealing with individuals...all of whom come with their own set of strengths, weaknesses, needs, expectations and desires. And how a leader somehow meshes all of that into something that is positive and leads to success, is a topic that is covered and written about perhaps more than any other topic in our culture.

All that said, I have always believed Torey possesses the inherent, genetically gifted aptitude to lead. His personality is one that attracts people, rather than repel them. His behavior is respectful to all and reliable...which means everyone in his charge can count on him.
In Torey's case, he certainly isn't blessed with the riches that other Managers enjoy...Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Nationals, Cardinals & Astros are all blessed with money and talent that dwarfs what Torey has at his disposal... And yet, in his first 2 seasons as a Manager, he has led his team into highly visible, highly competitive positions - last year making the post season and this season remaining in first place through August.

But the real purpose for this post is to call out the move Torey made last night. While we all know the Dbacks are toast, the reality is that there remains a mathematical possibility for this team to make the post season. Therefore, as a professional baseball manager, Torey's job is to ensure this team plays hard and gives 100% each and every game.
Yet, last night, knowing that key starters were faltering (who knows why), Torey put his neck on the line and sat his best players. I can't imagine what it must've felt like for Goldy, Perralta, Pollack and Escobar to show up to the stadium yesterday and see their names out of the starting lineup. It's a ballsy move by Torey because, and he was fully aware of this, the perception would be that he, as the Manager, has given up. That he through up the white flag...And ironically enough, against a stud lefty pitcher, the moves paid off and the Dbacks trounced an opponent in a way they haven't done all season.

I can't speak for Torey and why he chose yesterday to make this gutsy move. But I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn that he did so because he knew that after the day off today, they have 6 straight games against the Rockies and the Dodgers...and that in Torey's uber-competitive spirit, he wanted to send a message at this time to his guys... that even though the situation is dire, and even though some of you may not be here next season, we are here to fight until the final bell... I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn that Torey believes that they can go 6 & 0 or at worst, 5 & 1 and put themselves back into a realistic position of winning the west, or a wildcard slot...

Nobody is perfect... But, by & large, I got nothing but respect for Torey Lovullo...

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
He has done a great job with limited resources these 2 years. It is so easy as a keyboard manager to question every move. But you have described perfectly all the split second decisions he has to make and be accountable for. That is so much different than sitting at home and second guessing every move.

I respect him too and yes he is learning on the job. Everyone does.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson