Republic: Dragic taking priority for Suns

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/08/03/20080803suns.html

Dragic taking priority for Suns

44 commentsby Paul Coro - Aug. 3, 2008 09:29 PM
The Arizona Republic

Most of the Suns' free-agency work has dragged into August as promised.
There are two Suns roster spots to fill to get to the NBA minimum of 13 players. Phoenix is no anomaly. Fifteen other NBA teams need to sign at least two more players but the Suns are in a unique holding pattern.
After free-agency target Tyronn Lue went for Milwaukee's offer of an extra year and more money, the Suns' priority to add a backup point guard honed in on second-round draft pick Goran Dragic.

The Suns knew it would not be easy to bring Dragic to Phoenix this year because his contract with Spanish club Tau Ceramica does not provide a buyout clause until next year.

There was hope, though, for the Suns to work out the 22-year-old Slovenian in Phoenix during draft week. They gave up $500,000 and a future second-round pick on draft night to jump three spots and nab the man they feel can back up and eventually replace Steve Nash.

In mid-July, two sources said Dragic and Tau had negotiated a buyout for this summer, and it was up to the Suns to find a way to give him a multiyear contract starting at almost $2 million. That would help Dragic cover the cost of buying out his Tau deal beyond the $500,000 the Suns can contribute directly.

His buyout would be more this year than the $1.55 million it would take in 2009. Now, the onus has reverted to the Dragic and Tau camps to cut through the red tape.

Signing Dragic no longer would require the Suns to make a payroll-cutting move first. Dragic would cost the Suns twice his salary because their payroll likely will result in a luxury tax of $5 million to $6 million. Despite trade rumors involving Leandro Barbosa, a summer deal appears doubtful.
Dragic told a Spanish newspaper in July that the best thing for him was to play for Tau, but he sounded as convincing about hopes to join the Suns when talking to The Republic in June. Meanwhile, Tau has pursued other point guards, apparently to fill a backup role Dragic was pegged to handle.
The Suns plan to be patient waiting for a resolution on Dragic but will return to seeking a veteran free agent to be their backup point guard if they are unable to sign Dragic this summer. They are limiting themselves to veteran minimum offers.

Carlos Arroyo appears headed for Israel, thwarting hopes he would slip into the clearance bin. Suns center Shaquille O'Neal wants ex-Miami teammate Jason Williams. There are also journeymen (see Mike Wilks) or older vets (Damon Stoudamire and Sam Cassell) to consider. Shaun Livingston is intriguing but not in the role to rest Nash more because he is months away from being able to play.

The Suns likely will use their other roster spot for a big man. Brian Skinner signed with the Clippers, making Sean Marks' return a possibility, but Phoenix could opt for a veteran on a non-guaranteed deal to see who shakes loose in September and October.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man I wish this situation would just end already taking forever, in the most likley case we don't get Dragic I wouldn't mind Jason Williams he is somewhat ok, and can hit a outside shot and is a okay passer, plus shaq wants him so that is a plus. Also does anyone know the timeline that this dragic situation has to be all figured out?

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Look around the posts, I figured fans here dont really know about Jason Williams, I'd like to clearfy a few misunderstanding.

Jwill is a very good playmaker, prefer uptempo games, but also do the job fairly well in half court. He was a turnover machine in his first few years in NBA, but Hubie Brown turned him into one of the most reliable ball handlers in the league, with a assist to turnover ratio above 3.0. His passing skill is among the best, always find the open man, get everybody involved, and very creative finding the path. If we have him on bench, the whole team would not need any tactical change when Nash need a rest. I think that's one of the most important point for us.

He is a very streaky scorer, drive to rim well in transition and hit jumpers (including 3p) when left open, but FG% drops dramatically in half-court (being pressed). We should not count on his scoring, we probably wouldn't anyway.

He is a below average defender. But thanks to 3 years under Pat Riley, he spent a lot of energy in defence now. Also, his hands r always fast and makes a good number of steals. Most of the fans of the Suns got used to the defence level of Nash and Barbosa. Jwill won't make u extra disappointed.

Jwill was the starting PG of the 2006 championship Heat. It was just a little over 2 years ago. His performance in that entire playoff was quite solid, even had some clutch performance against then mighty Pistons. Championship experience is quite valuable, we know he won't crack under pressure. He also knows how to play alongside Shaq well.

Among the remaining FA PGs, Jwill is clearly way better than the rest. The problem is, we only have veteran minimal to offer. Reports said he is looking for a 3 years 10M contract, which is pretty fair for his ability. Thanks to the tight financial situation all accross NBA, he hasn't got any offer close to his demand. If he doesn't get a serious offer from Europe, he might accept a 1 year deal just like Barnes? Can Shaq make a strong recruiting call?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds about right.

I continue to expect Jason Williams will end up in Europe. I consider it a major long shot for him to settle for Vet Min, but if he does the Suns would probably have the best shot IF they are NOT bringing Dragic over this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this comment interesting from the Paul Coro article:

Despite trade rumors involving Leandro Barbosa, a summer deal appears doubtful.

Whatever happened to the trade talk involving Diaw? I thought LB and Diaw were both being shopped per the rumors this summer. I'd prefer to keep LB anyway.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe its his way of hinting that Diaw is on the table still.

I'm not quite sure how
a summer deal appears doubtful.
is a way to say anything about Diaw. Since in theory, anybody is available if the price is right, I read it to say they are not trying to dump Diaw -- which is all that matters.

Kingy

Reaction score
Todays news state the Suns are close to reaching a buy out agreement with Dragic's team in Spain...

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Todays news state the Suns are close to reaching a buy out agreement with Dragic's team in Spain...
News from AZ, national news, from Spain, etc.... ?

Edit: Nevermind, I hadn't seen the other thread yet.

Last edited: