Reports are Stoops will be fired.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Mao, who do you think would be a good fit?

Someone who wins football games and represents the university well. :)

Chris Petersen would be great but that's pipe dreaming. Bellotti I would take but something about him scares me. I think he may just be looking for a check and I doubt Knight and Chip Kelly allow him to grab any of his former guys which makes me wonder how he will fill out a staff down here. Hudspeth looks the part but again he may not be able to land a staff that can recruit out here.

Ultimately though I do think Byrne already knows who his guy is. Not sure why else he'd fire Stoops this week of all times.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to see them give Larry Fedora an interview.

Wildcat05

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm with you on that last point. I'm thinking he could have Dan Mullen high on his list.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Mullen ain't coming. Guy makes $2 mil a year at Mississippi State.

I am vehemently against Fedora.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chuck Cecil is the most interesting name on the list so far. And I like Sonny Dykes.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another name floating around is Mark Hudspeth at ULL. Byrne knows him from his days at Mississippi State and he had HC experience. Issue here is that all of his ties are to SEC country so we will see how much that factors in. Hudspeth will also bring his team to Tucson the last week of November for Senior Day so that could be an interesting twist.

I would not like that pick at all.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On Saturday on Gameday ESPN Radio, they were debating the worst College Football team of the major conferences. They agreed it was either BC or Oregon St. To them lose to them by double digits is a firable offense in the first place...

The question is will Arizona open their checkbook wide enough for Mike Leach.. I think he goes to Tucson for the right amount, but will they?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Mike Leach is not coming to Arizona or any other major conference job. Maybe somewhere like New Mexico but there's a reason he isn't on anyone's list despite winning 8.5 games a year in Lubbock. The guy is toxic to any AD who likes their job.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On Saturday on Gameday ESPN Radio, they were debating the worst College Football team of the major conferences. They agreed it was either BC or Oregon St. To them lose to them by double digits is a firable offense in the first place...

The question is will Arizona open their checkbook wide enough for Mike Leach.. I think he goes to Tucson for the right amount, but will they?

Don't worry, Byrne's is going to open the wallet and they are going to pay to get the guy they want. A friend of mine who is in the athletic department told me they will spend. He also told me if he knows anything about who they are looking at, he will not tell anyone. I told him I was okay with that because I don't want him to get in any kind of trouble.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cecil has as much a shot as Danny White does getting the ASU job.

Which is strange, since Cecil actually pursued a legitimate coaching career while D White, who obviously wanted the ASU job, didn't. Cecil's actually been an NFL defensive coordinator. Ten years coaching in the NFL and two as a coordinator seems more than qualified to be a college HC.

*shrug*

But it's not my program, so I'll take your word for it he's not wanted by the decision makers.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think he maybe gets $1.75 which I think will match Erickson's new contract but nothing more. That's not going to lure any big name except maybe Petersen and that is only in the pie dream scenario of him thinkimg Tucson is better for his family than Boise since he's not a money guy.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Which is strange, since Cecil actually pursued a legitimate coaching career while D White, who obviously wanted the ASU job, didn't. Cecil's actually been an NFL defensive coordinator. Ten years coaching in the NFL and two as a coordinator seems more than qualified to be a college HC.

*shrug*

But it's not my program, so I'll take your word for it he's not wanted by the decision makers.
He also got arrested for a DUI a few years back and got in some trouble for flipping off officials last year. I love Chuck Cecil but he's Mike Stoops Redux. A yeller and screamer who in all likelihood would be unable to manage football games and later in his tenure recruit at a high level due to his sideline antics. And that's not even pointing out that he has solely been in the NFL and has no recruiting ties anywhere. That is not a guy you choose as a green AD at a school that doesn't completely trust you after Sean Miller almost went to Maryland on your watch just a few months ago.

He may come here as an assistant should he choose but not as a head coach unless he puts in his work at the college level.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he maybe gets $1.75 which I think will match Erickson's new contract but nothing more. That's not going to lure any big name except maybe Petersen and that is only in the pie dream scenario of him thinkimg Tucson is better for his family than Boise since he's not a money guy.

They could be offering $2 million a year. That's all I know.

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
My pick would be Joe Glenn. He has won championships at every level he has coached and was in a lose-lose situation at Wyoming.
Joe and I did our grad assistant ships at NAU with Joe Salem and I've never seen anyone with a stronger work ethic.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Leach is not coming to Arizona or any other major conference job. Maybe somewhere like New Mexico but there's a reason he isn't on anyone's list despite winning 8.5 games a year in Lubbock. The guy is toxic to any AD who likes their job.

Hell, even Stoops would be a huge upgrade over any coach the Lobos have had in their gawd awful history. Leach isn't coming here in my opinion... administration is way too conservative to hire him. Not that it matters in a UA forum, but UNM is headed for 0-12 this year, pathetic.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Hell, even Stoops would be a huge upgrade over any coach the Lobos have had in their gawd awful history. Leach isn't coming here in my opinion... administration is way too conservative to hire him. Not that it matters in a UA forum, but UNM is headed for 0-12 this year, pathetic.

New Mexico was pretty good in 2007...........

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico was pretty good in 2007...........

1 year out of 100??? Well, Joe Morrison did lead them to 10-1 back '82... so I guess that is a couple good years.:D

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
1 year out of 100??? Well, Joe Morrison did lead them to 10-1 back '82... so I guess that is a couple good years.:D

5 bowl games in the 2000's. Not entirely bad. I think that was under a different coach than they have now tho.

Yea, those bowls were under Rocky Long.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Bob warning others to potentially stay away from the program?

http://newsok.com/ou-football-noteb...ona-unfortunate/article/3612527#ixzz1aaV8g6Bg

“It always hurts when you're close to someone and this happens,” Bob Stoops said Tuesday during his weekly news conference. “It just kind of hit a perfect storm. He had a bunch of injuries early, actually before the season even started. He was kind of playing short-handed. . . . So, you kind of get beat up some more . . . You get demoralized and it's just kind of hard to recover."

Would Bob bring Mike back in some capacity?

“Sure. I mean, if I've got enough money to,” Bob Stoops said. “He's going to have a lot of opportunities. I know that.”

Referring to his brother, himself when he was at Florida and even current OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables, Stoops said you have to carefully consider job opportunities “or you'll end up like my brother.”

“There's a reason some schools haven't had success,” Stoops said, declining to say which schools courted him as a defensive coordinator on Steve Spurrier's Florida staff.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Nobody ever said or will say that Arizona is a destination program. However it is a program that should be better than 10 game losing streaks. Chryst, Hudspeth, and Manny Diaz is what I heard if Bellotti says no. And I still think Petersen is a pipe dream or smokescreen.

Wildcat05

Veteran
Reaction score
Didn't Diaz turn down the DC position here last summer? Not that he wouldn't want a HC position here, I think it makes total sense. Just that I would have thought Byrne might not want someone so high on his list who initially accepted a position here and then changed his mind to go back to Texas. If I remember correctly...

Whoops, I was thinking of Duane Akina... sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Nobody ever said or will say that Arizona is a destination program. However it is a program that should be better than 10 game losing streaks. Chryst, Hudspeth, and Manny Diaz is what I heard if Bellotti says no. And I still think Petersen is a pipe dream or smokescreen.

At this point without knowing a whole bunch about these candidates, I'd be fairly happy with any of those four. Belotti would "win the press conference." The more I read about Chryst, the more I like him. Hudpeth seems solid and has a little bit of HC experience. Diaz is an up and comer from a big program but would have to be a recruiting wizard in order to be the hire IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson