Report: Saints seeking first round pick in trade for former head coach Sean Payton

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
What are the chances that we trade KM for Sean Payton +3rd rounder and start a rebuild with Sean Payton the HC - Team builder, what he somehow wanted to do back in NO but couldn't because of the GM and the missing picks?
The Cards eating a huge cap charge for Murray, along with KK and SK buyouts and what they'd pay Payton? Never gonna happen. Honestly, I don't see Bidwill eating 2 of the 3 this year (SK and KK), but I can see him getting a new GM and actually keeping KK a year or 2. Just how I feel. At the absolute best, he would in fact eat both of those contracts and get a new GM and Coach...but 100% isn't going to move all 3 of those contracts this year.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cards eating a huge cap charge for Murray, along with KK and SK buyouts and what they'd pay Payton? Never gonna happen. Honestly, I don't see Bidwill eating 2 of the 3 this year (SK and KK), but I can see him getting a new GM and actually keeping KK a year or 2. Just how I feel. At the absolute best, he would in fact eat both of those contracts and get a new GM and Coach...but 100% isn't going to move all 3 of those contracts this year.

As I've written a few times: Hire Drew Brees as an OC/QC and pick Payton's brain without the exorbitant cost.

The thing that has struck me in the past several weeks, depleted as it is, is that this team has not quit on KK.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d want a completely new coaching/FO package - with a totally overhauled MO and coaching/mgt philosophy.

I might spring for a 2nd round pick if we could land the resurrection of Vince Lombard or Bill Walsh. Otherwise, nada - whether it be for Payton or one of the Harbaughs.

Otherwise, hang onto the picks and/or other players we might build our franchise around.

React but don’t overreact. Oh well, swing for the seats if the right people are around to implement a really good plan. But be more stingy than generous compensation-wise.

PS I remain intrigued by A-Dub.

Reactions: PJ1

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
FWIW - Benjamin Albright who is well connected with Denver confirmed that Payton is not interested in the Broncos. He also confirmed that the Cardinals are interested.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I believe Allbright has a good source with the Cards because he was hinting at the Kliff thing before it was mainstream. I’m pretty down on the Cards outlook but it’s still significantly better than Denver who has a worse QB, worse cap situation and less assets. Also you’re never getting by KC, Buffalo and Cincy anytime soon.

SteveKeimFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As I've written a few times: Hire Drew Brees as an OC/QC and pick Payton's brain without the exorbitant cost.

The thing that has struck me in the past several weeks, depleted as it is, is that this team has not quit on KK.
Excellent suggestion. We should also hire Mike Singletary for Defensive Coordinator.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is dreamland.

If Payton was still the Saints HC then they would get a 1st plus more for him. You just ain't getting that for a guy thats retired and shown a willingness to retire when things get tough.

They may get a pick swap. Say a 2024 1st for Payton plus their 2024 2nd and 4th round picks. Something like that. But a team would have to be nuts to give up a straight 1st.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This is dreamland.

If Payton was still the Saints HC then they would get a 1st plus more for him. You just ain't getting that for a guy thats retired and shown a willingness to retire when things get tough.

They may get a pick swap. Say a 2024 1st for Payton plus their 2024 2nd and 4th round picks. Something like that. But a team would have to be nuts to give up a straight 1st.
FWIW he had tough times as Saints coach, too. Not at all shocked he would leave when Drew hung them up. Remember, Brees was already a known, but injured, commodity when he paired with Payton. There are definitely some similarities with the AZ situation.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is dreamland.

How rare does a coach of his caliber come along?

And what coaches of his caliber would EVER want to come to Arizona?

It's also not just him, but his posse.

How rare are 1st round picks?

Well, this would probably be the first time ever a coach like that could/would coach this team in its entire history.

First round picks come every 20 years? 10 years? 5 years? Oh wait, every year. And are they guaranteed to be be good?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, this would probably be the first time ever a coach like that could/would coach this team in its entire history.

First round picks come every 20 years? 10 years? 5 years? Oh wait, every year. And are they guaranteed to be be good?
I would trade a low first rounder for him, but not one in the top 4. I think the Saints are going to have to settle for a second because just about every team firing their coach is going to have a high first.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How desperate we are doesn't change his value.

I don't see any team giving them a 1st.

People keep mentioning the Jon Gruden trade as a yardstick. Gruden was 39 years old. He was the Sean McVay of that era. If Sean McVay told the Ram's he wanted out and was up for a trade I would expect him to command a 1st plus more. When Bill Belichick was traded he was 48.

Payton is 59 years old and retired. Both his age and his willingness to retire diminish his value.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How desperate we are doesn't change his value.

I don't see any team giving them a 1st.

People keep mentioning the Jon Gruden trade as a yardstick. Gruden was 39 years old. He was the Sean McVay of that era. If Sean McVay told the Ram's he wanted out and was up for a trade I would expect him to command a 1st plus more. When Bill Belichick was traded he was 48.

Payton is 59 years old and retired. Both his age and his willingness to retire diminish his value.

Of course it does, that's kind of how value works.

59 years isn't crazy old, he may have a decade in him for all we know.

Gruden hadn't won anything at the time of his trade, Payton has.

It's also not just Payton, but Fangio, a top DC as well. You think we will just pluck good hires here? 100 years and counting...

The rejects come here. The ones who have done nothing and want to prove themselves (who inevitably fail) come here.

How many 1st round Cardinal picks have been decent in the past 10-15 years?

There's not going to be another opportunity like this, let alone being in the running for anyone worth a damn. 1st round picks bust often enough.

His value can also improve by attracting players/etc to want to come here as well.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as likely he skipped the interview because he didnt want to waste his time just checking the Rooney box.
Unless I’m mistaken, He took other interviews.

And if the Cardinals were only bringing him in via Rooney rule because they were too in love with a failed college coach, then they’re bigger imbeciles than any of of us can even imagine.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Unless I’m mistaken, He took other interviews.

And if the Cardinals were only bringing him in via Rooney rule because they were too in love with a failed college coach, then they’re bigger imbeciles than any of of us can even imagine.
try harder cheese...you can imagine it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yay! Getting the team to play hard is nice, but getting the team to play well is more important.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm against giving up our 1st round pick because it is going to hopefully be an impact player. I've said before, I'd give up my 2nd but it would have to include something else in return (3rd, 4th, etc..). I believe he is worth going after but not at the expense of the team.

The cold hard facts are: 1) San Fran has an excellent coach and will continue to be good 2) LA has an excellent coach and will continue to be good and 3) Seattle continues to surprise during a down year so maybe they have an excellent coach and will continue to be good. At the end of the day, we get Payton but it's not going to guarantee us winning the division or even playoff games because out division is stacked with coaches. All this will do is hopefully level the playing field.