Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eno not much yardage on first run.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seemed like we missed the start of the scrimmage as they joined it in action.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Less talk more action please. I wasn’t expecting any thing earth shattering with this but hour and half in and they have shown a handful of plays

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm disappointed the scrimmage is not the primary focus of the announcers.

Too much time spent on talk and interviews which could be done anytime.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did do to what everyone else said...An hour into the program the scrimmage actually starts...And it’s the back ups. What a tease.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It makes sense they don't want to show a lot of plays on film with no preseason games.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Did do to what everyone else said...An hour into the program the scrimmage actually starts...And it’s the back ups. What a tease.
I think they cut out the first team reps. Complete BS imo. What can a team actually run that most NFL teams haven’t seen? Not much imo.

if the first team did indeed not get reps (I highly doubt) it’s a major mistake.

Way to deceive you team on a “red & white scrimmage” Cardinals either way. Complete BS.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They absolutely carefully curated the broadcast to make sure not to show any live action of the starters by interviewing Michael, running pre-taped packages, etc... It now makes complete sense why they wouldn't just stream this, needed time to make sure nothing was accidentally leaked.

I am fine with it.. They are installing a lot, and with a HUGE first game against a division rival just a few days away, they less information the have the less they will be prepared for.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So..... is anyone going to actually post anything that happened...?

To be totally honest... 90% of the broadcast were interviews with different people in the organization. with a few action plays sprinkled in..

Of note, Eno Benjamin had a long run and a TD, Isabella had a couple of nice catches off quick slants, Rashard Lawrence had an AWESOME tackle behind the LOS where he exploded through the line and got to the RB almost before the QB handed it to him..

It was very encouraging overall to hear all the positive comments, but as far of substance or seeing the players even in drills, they just didn't show any of it

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be totally honest... 90% of the broadcast were interviews with different people in the organization. with a few action plays sprinkled in..

Of note, Eno Benjamin had a long run and a TD, Isabella had a couple of nice catches off quick slants, Rashard Lawrence had an AWESOME tackle behind the LOS where he exploded through the line and got to the RB almost before the QB handed it to him..

It was very encouraging overall to hear all the positive comments, but as far of substance or seeing the players even in drills, they just didn't show any of it
Thanks man.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I did not have access to it however it sounds like I really didn't miss anything. As Bucky said, there are not many plays that an NFL hasn't seen. I suspect we are going to see a lot of turnovers the first couple weeks of the season and a lot of bad execution of plays because no matter how much you practice, it's not the same as running plays against an opponent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they cut out the first team reps. Complete BS imo. What can a team actually run that most NFL teams haven’t seen? Not much imo.

if the first team did indeed not get reps (I highly doubt) it’s a major mistake.

Way to deceive you team on a “red & white scrimmage” Cardinals either way. Complete BS.

I think they cut out the first team reps because they joined the scrimmage in action.

After they talk all evening I don't think it's accidental that we only see the second unit.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds like i didn't miss anything. I did turn to channel 12 at about 4:30, but what I saw, about 5 seconds, wasn't football, so I turned it. I thought it was something else, but maybe i was wrong?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather watch aour kicker kick fg’s than interviews. In two hours we got to see about 12 plays.

Eno looked good. Issabella looked way more confident. Butler had a nice catch on the sidelines and the d settled on pushing out of bounds because they couldn’t bring him down. Streveler looked okay and had a nice run. Lawrence nice tackle for a loss.

That’s about all they showed.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question from Mrs. (Doctor) Gollin -

What's with the mini-tote bag that players wear around their waist? Does it serve as a pad to protect the tail-bone? Do players keep Snickers Bars in it? Or what?

I've always wondered the same thing but never remembered to ask.

Note - I think we may be too critical of the Cox effort. Struck me as Big Boy coverage comparated to previous telecasts. Of course they're going to favor big plays over boring grind-it-out footage.

Highlights -Benjamin, Isabella, Strevaler gainers; how low Ward finished his run. Butler breaking tackle. One thing I wondered - were those long gainers due to holes opened up by our RT or RG? Or was it weak run defense on our left side?

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think they cut out the first team reps because they joined the scrimmage in action.

After they talk all evening I don't think it's accidental that we only see the second unit.
I thought it was taped? :shrug:
Thus, they intentionally cut it out. I guess my point is, that the hyped up scrimmage was totally deceiving what was going to be showed on tv.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was taped? :shrug:
Thus, they intentionally cut it out. I guess my point is, that the hyped up scrimmage was totally deceiving what was going to be showed on tv.

The scrimmage was taped. I simply wanted to see more game action. They used the talk and interviews as filler for most of the two hours so it was misleading for those who wanted to see uninterrupted scrimmage action.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
On offense Streveler throws a soft, easy to catch ball. Keep in mind the Canadian field is wider. My Canadian contacts tell me he has above average arm strength and reasonable accuracy on deep throws. He could be a goal line factor with a dual threat action. He placed the ball well. Showed consistent accuracy. He should at least make the secure PS. Benjamin was as good as expected. He makes the team and should see meaningful carries. I need to see more of him as a receiver. The kid from CMU, Ward, hit the hole quickly and should provide some depth on the PS. The second team set of receivers looked okay but keep in mind the defense is thin on coverage. On defense Lawrence looked like he could be an asset. The O-line backups looked decent on drive blocks and traps. This unit might be deeper than expected I didn’t expect them to show anything not vanilla, but the TV product was pitiful. Interviews should have been conducted in studio, not interrupting the action. They seemed oblivious that viewers want to see football. I appreciate them covering it but this effort left a great deal to be desired. This orientation made it hard for anyone viewing to give you much by way of evaluation.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn