Recruiting

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was a lot of complaining among the fanbase that Daniel's starting job was guaranteed for next year. I am guessing that the coaching staff probably shared with him that was not the case, perhaps to light a fire under him, and he didn't care for that. Who knows.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. Time for Tyson to step up. Bear freakin' Bryant's grandson. Come on man.

The timing is poor on Daniels part as I understand QB Spencer Rattler had interest in ASU.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The timing is poor on Daniels part as I understand QB Spencer Raattler had interest in ASU.

Yep, I found this which indicates ASU backed off Rattler after Daniels assured them of his return:
SunDevilSource.com reports that ASU believed Daniels would return to the point that the program did not pursue interested quarterback transfer Spencer Rattler.

ASU elected not to pursue Spencer Rattler, the top quarterback prospect in the 2019 class out of Pinnacle High School in Phoenix and former Oklahoma starter who entered the transfer portal this offseason, after Edwards met with Daniels and his mother following last season. Rattler had serious interest in ASU according to multiple program sources, but has since moved on to South Carolina.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
rattler was never coming to ASU. the only connection between him and the program was that he went to highschool here. that's it.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is video out there and his teammates did not take the news very well

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd expect a lot more guys to enter transfer portal. As terrible as Daniels was this year he is well liked by the players.
didn't seem like they liked him very much in the posted video. that sort of thing seems more than a jilted ex lover

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
didn't seem like they liked him very much in the posted video. that sort of thing seems more than a jilted ex lover
Agreed. As in the news about his mom and suddenly a different picture starts to get painted. I think we saw the best of Daniels. That is who he is on the field. Off the field, while that video is a very limited sample of teammates, perhaps he was not much of a leader or teammate.

Perhaps Daniels was actually the primary issue with the development of the WR corp?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hard to see how many or who the players were so it may have just a small group but it is possible he is not very popular with the team as a whole. I can't fault him for leaving just like the others who have left, this coaching staff and program are a national laughing stock right now and things have gotten worse since he initially said he was coming back.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hard to see how many or who the players were so it may have just a small group but it is possible he is not very popular with the team as a whole. I can't fault him for leaving just like the others who have left, this coaching staff and program are a national laughing stock right now and things have gotten worse since he initially said he was coming back.
He’s also a major reason we’ve stalled as a team. He has only gotten worse since his freshman year. One of the more disappointing asu QB recruits

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He’s also a major reason we’ve stalled as a team. He has only gotten worse since his freshman year. One of the more disappointing asu QB recruits
Oh believe me, this is definitely addition by subtraction. It sucks he didn't decide to transfer back in December because there were other QB's ASU could have went after like Slovis. Not saying that ASU was going to get any of the AZ QB transfers because of the situation the coaching staff put the program in but this team is going to be terrible next year regardless.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eh old people bringing in more old people doesn’t really paint the picture of crafting a long term viable program.
@Absolute Zero

Here’s my post. I was wrong. It wasn’t about appeal to young folks. It was about the potential longevity of an older coaching staff. Particularly people who have already exceeded the federally acknowledged “retirement age.” So nothing there that’s even remotely a slam on elderly capabilities, much less the slur that you tried to infer I made.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Absolute Zero

Here’s my post. I was wrong. It wasn’t about appeal to young folks. It was about the potential longevity of an older coaching staff. Particularly people who have already exceeded the federally acknowledged “retirement age.” So nothing there that’s even remotely a slam on elderly capabilities, much less the slur that you tried to infer I made.

Saying "Eh old people bringing in more old people doesn’t really paint the picture of crafting a long term viable program" is disparaging to older people. The suggestion is that they aren't going to last, are going to create a poor image because of their age, and make the program look unviable because of their age. It comes across like "we can't bring in an old person, that's going to look bad for our program, they aren't going to last and we will have to replace them when they head to the old folks home." Especially within the context of other negative remarks about old coaches here on this board. So I stand by my opinion. I understand that you don't agree with me and didn't intend anything wrong by your remarks.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Saying "Eh old people bringing in more old people doesn’t really paint the picture of crafting a long term viable program" is disparaging to older people. The suggestion is that they aren't going to last, are going to create a poor image because of their age, and make the program look unviable because of their age. It comes across like "we can't bring in an old person, that's going to look bad for our program, they aren't going to last and we will have to replace them when they head to the old folks home." Especially within the context of other negative remarks about old coaches here on this board. So I stand by my opinion. I understand that you don't agree with me and didn't intend anything wrong by your remarks.
That's your perception. I read the same statements and understood what @Ouchie-Z-Clown meant.

Older coaches don't tend to relate to young players. It's ok to have a few, but your program is seemingly gravitating towards old guys, you risk losing the players due to generational differences. I'm almost certain that is what @Ouchie-Z-Clown meant.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Even if the Sun Devils aren't better at QB with Daniels leaving, I'm not upset at all. Dude was maybe the highest rated recruit in program history and has been a MASSIVE disappointment even though he has played a lot of games. The players have to know that.