Receivers and RAC in Air Raid

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Air Raid uses the HB as a receiver often.

I think that last year's offense and coaching staff made everyone look significantly worse. Will this turn the guys we have into stars? I'd be surprised. I think that Fitz is still a fine starting wideout, and I think that Kirk can be, also. I saw good stuff from Chad Williams.

I expect J.J. Nelson to go to Cleveland or Tampa Bay. Hard to see him coming back here.

As for Cooper, he has 0 receptions in 3 NFL seasons. I'm guessing he's almost completely useless in an offense.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
None of this, what you guys are mentioning, will work at all until this Oline is fixed. The air raid offense needs time to develop. No oline, no time, no throws, no winning. ;)

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You're 100% right about the air raid offense throwing the ball to the HB. I'm a Kentucky football fan in college. The air raid hit the SEC when Hal mumme came there to coach in 97, mike leach was his offensive coordinator but Hal called the plays. Bob stoops saw enough good in the offense defending it at Florida as Steve spurriers offensive coordinator that he brought it with him to Oklahoma the next yr. He hired mike leach from the Kentucky staff to run the same air raid offense there. After a yr of lighting up the big X11 he got the gig at Texas tech. At that point the air raid took off in that conference & the air raid Hal mumme coaching tree began. Our coach later played for mike leach in the air raid at Texas tech. If you go to you tube there you can watch the way Hal mumme threw to the HB in this offense. Anthony white caught a lot of passes out of the backfield & so did the tight end James Whalen. SEC defenses knew Whalen was gonna be targeted, would triple team him & still couldn't stop him. This offense allows wideouts to run to an open spot of the field & catch the ball, plus gets playmakers in space. It's definitely evolved since the late 90's at Kentucky (Hal mumme passed the ball to set up the run BTW) but it's highly effective. Especially running the 4 verticle route play. Basically any of the 4 can break their route off at any point & be wide open. Nightmare for opposing defenses to defend.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
hopefully they will build the offensive line, in fact I expect them to. The air raid offense is a quicker throwing one though, doesn't require as much blocking time. We need a stronger offensive line though no doubt. Need guys that can pass & run block. Easier said than done though considering the cap. We have lots of cap room, just have to be smart about spending it, use the money for many positions but we need at least 2 or 3 big time offensive line free agents imo.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do you think this could mean more opportunities for TJ Logan and DJ Foster? How do you guys think they will fit into this system? I always felt like TJ Logan was misused, am I delusional to think he could be our Tariq Cohen?

No. Those guys are bad at football. There’s only room for good football players now.

I’ll be shocked if they don’t have a Tech WR on the roster.

Hey as much as I like Wesley I like Hump even more.

Wrong. People said this about USC prospects when Carroll was called up, and Ducks when Chip made the leap. These guys think anyone can execute their system; they’re looking for talent they couldn’t recruit.

None of this, what you guys are mentioning, will work at all until this Oline is fixed. The air raid offense needs time to develop. No oline, no time, no throws, no winning. ;)

Air raid protects OL.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
These guys think anyone can execute their system; they’re looking for talent they couldn’t recruit.

Agreed on Air Raid an OL.

If you look at the WR FA's this year (RFA too)...who are your top 3-5 that fit this system?

I realize there are guys out there that we previously talked about Tyrell Williams, Robbie Anderson (RFA), etc. But who actually fits this new system best?

Edit: My guess is its smaller, quicker, and faster WR's that can threaten deep (win) or break off route and get open. Also these guys can win off the LOS and get open quickly + excel in WR screen game (make people miss).

Are there other types/profiles of Air Raid WR's?

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Actually the Tech offense features one of the least sacked % per drop backs in the FBS. I am going to guess that Tech didn’t have a lot of highly recruited OL either. The advantage of that offense is the plays don’t take as long to develop. The OL needs to be fixed for sure but scheming can help a little.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Do you think this could mean more opportunities for TJ Logan and DJ Foster? How do you guys think they will fit into this system? I always felt like TJ Logan was misused, am I delusional to think he could be our Tariq Cohen?
Yes you’re delusional. Cohen is a very unique player. He’s not only fast but extremely quick in small areas and has exceptionally ridiculous hands. Have you seen the vids of him catching not one, but two balls while doing backflips? Yes that’s a circus trick, but the hand-eye coordination necessary for that also exhibits itself on the field. Logan is fast, but we’ve seen little to indicate such small space maneuverability or insane hands. Not saying they don’t exist, but he wasn’t really pimped for either and hasn’t shown it. So I think it’s a bad comparison.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Keep in mind that KK has coached teams to success while running the ball as well. He adapts to his personnel. I expect David Johnson to become a huge weapon in the new offense
Yup. In fact, even the knock about not using TEs is fallacious. One year at Tech he had a great TE and used him a lot. From what I’ve read - in the more in-depth analysis articles - KK’s greatest strength is that he’s a flexible air raid disciple. He tries to maximize whatever weapon he possesses regardless of position. That excites me more than anything.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
KK’s greatest strength is that he’s a flexible air raid disciple. He tries to maximize whatever weapon he possesses regardless of position. That excites me more than anything.

yes

consistent theme across all analysis

other fun fact i didnt realize: for all the hype on Air Raid, he ran the ball 45% of the time at TT. Those arent far off NFL figures

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
WR Denzel Mims (Baylor) if he declares.

Parris Campbell (Ohio St)

Marquise Brown (OK) of course

Antoine Wesley (TTU) - if KK likes him.

Riley Ridley (Georgia)

Corey Coleman (RFA) with Giants. 1st rd (#15) pick and has failed in the NFL so far but this dude was a beast in a spread/vertical offense at Baylor. I don't think he would cost much at all/he may even get cut by the Giants. It would be worth the shot.

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agreed. Look at Murray's highlights. He had lots of time.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. Look at Murray's highlights. He had lots of time.
and if u have time then marquis brown is easlily open with that speed

marquis brown is too light at now but he can play deep and be very effective in the screen plays with his playmaking abilities

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Actually the Tech offense features one of the least sacked % per drop backs in the FBS. I am going to guess that Tech didn’t have a lot of highly recruited OL either. The advantage of that offense is the plays don’t take as long to develop. The OL needs to be fixed for sure but scheming can help a little.

Piggybacking off my own post....

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/kliff-kingsbury-s-scheme-may-help-protect-josh-rosen

In the past five seasons, Texas Tech’s quarterbacks were sacked on only 3.7 percent of dropbacks, the fourth-lowest rate in college football over that period, according to Pro Football Focus. Even though the team has always thrown a lot under Kingsbury, the highest number of sacks in a season during his tenure was 33 in 2013.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My guess is that if we are looking for WRs, we will be looking for guys who are natural at creating separation. What I would like to see the most is Kingsbury adapting his air raid system to the NFL by utilizing more TEs and running a ton of 12 personnel. It is a really good draft to do so, and it would create some nice mismatches in both the running game and passing game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn’t be against tripling down on WRs in the draft.

They should b/c the FA receivers are trash. I saw a list that had Adam Humphries in the top-5. You have to trade a high pick like Amari Cooper or Jarvis Landry or go the draft route. Take two guys in the top-4 rounds.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They should b/c the FA receivers are trash. I saw a list that had Adam Humphries in the top-5. You have to trade a high pick like Amari Cooper or Jarvis Landry or go the draft route. Take two guys in the top-4 rounds.
DaMarkus Lodge & either Greg Dortch(dude would be fantastic in KK’s offense) or KeeSean Johnson the ones I want, with Cody Thompson as a late rounder.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yup. In fact, even the knock about not using TEs is fallacious. One year at Tech he had a great TE and used him a lot. From what I’ve read - in the more in-depth analysis articles - KK’s greatest strength is that he’s a flexible air raid disciple. He tries to maximize whatever weapon he possesses regardless of position. That excites me more than anything.

Yep. Mike Leach is the inflexible one, not Kliff.

One of the funny things about when people compare KK to Leach is that Leach won in the Big 12 by taking the league by surprise. The Big 12 wasn't ready for the Air Raid, so he had success. I bet Leach wouldn't win in the Big 12 now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave