Rebuttle: In Defense of Amare, Calling out Coach and GM!

OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I love Marion, but he is not worth 16 or 20 million a year. You can get two scrappy hardnosed players that matches his defensive capabilities for less, and rely that much more on Amare for offense, and our team will be better.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
the suns need to realize that you don't need 5 guys that are scorers. right now we have nash(to a lesser degree), bell, marion, hill, barbosa, and stoudemire who are all out there thinking they are scorers. We need role players. Last year's Suns team was a force because we had James Jones, whose role was to come in and hit the kickout 3 pointer, which he did very effectively. Kurt Thomas came in and played defense, doing the "dirty" work. if there was an open shot for him on the elbow, he wasn't afraid to take it. Both players were let go, but they can easily be replaced. the Mike Miller, who would be an all around great addition or for less talent given up Demetris Nichols can be brought in for James Jones role. Kurt Thomas' role will be replaced from within. Brian Skinner will do the dirty work, he is a good defender that moves Amare to PF where he thrives.
Look at the Lakers, as much as we hate, they have the Suns number this year. This is because the organization and coach know they types of players you need to succeed.

Kobe- obviously their scorer
Odom- scorer
bynum- tall defender who can score down low. and rebound

there you have 3 scorers, now their role players
Fisher- knocks down big shots, and is their for kickouts when Kobe is doubled.
Ariza- athlete, who unlike Marion, doesn't try to do more than he is capable.
Turiaf- rebounder and hustle player, along with vujacic and farmar.

the Suns can easily do this, keeping the team as is, and we have more overall talent than the Lakers.

Nash- obviously all around great player.
Stoudemire- when in his natural position, he can shoot lights out
Hill- solid driver that can finish around the rim

there's our 3 scorers, now if we follow this system, our role players could be
Marion- one of the big advantages of Marion used to be that there weren't plays run for him, he could score in fast breaks and on broken plays/offensive rebounds. now he is trying to do too much himself, shooting threes and jumpers, trying to drive, and is going beyond his skill set.
Skinner- Defensive hustle, ala KT, can knock down open J
Diaw- scoring off bench, can spell Amare at PF and Skinner at Center. great vesatility off the bench.
Barbosa- scoring off bench, speed to stretch the D.
Bell- Defense defense defense. take open shots.

getting a d nichols would be great in place of bell. he can knock down shots much more consistantly and is much bigger and athletic than bell, but is not neccessary for this system. The Run&Gun Suns are becoming a thing of the past. We can still score almost as much and far more consistently with this system. the Run&Gun should be a change of pace, not a set in stone pace.

OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
sulax, i agree to a certain extent, but Skinner is not nearly the shooter or defender KT is. I think the answer to this is a trade, because Marion isn't going to be a role player, as we have seen in multiple espn articles that he thinks he can OFFENSIVELY carry a team.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
sulax, i agree to a certain extent, but Skinner is not nearly the shooter or defender KT is. I think the answer to this is a trade, because Marion isn't going to be a role player, as we have seen in multiple espn articles that he thinks he can OFFENSIVELY carry a team.
Skinner and Thomas head to head all stats being per game
Skinner------Thomas
min 13.2 ---23.4
points 4.3--- 6.4
steals .4--- .6
rebounds 4 ---8.9
blocks 1.3-----.9
FG% 56%---- 48.1%

Skinner is similar, if not better, this year than KT.
all these numbers are with kurt getting more than 10 minutes more a game than skinner.
if given more minutes, these numbers would go up for skinner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
lets not forget the NASH effect on players FG%, and that Seattle is a crappy team. Your post proves nothing to me, he is not similar, and by no means is better. KT played PHENOMENAL defense, which is not the case with skinner.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
nash effect on FG%? lets compare skinner and thomas in '06 again stats in per game
skinner----thomas
minutes 22.7------ 18
points 4.4------ 4.6
rebounds 5.7-----5.7
blocks 1.0----0.4
steals .3-----.4
FG% 49%----48.6

looks like the nash effect doesn't mean as much for these two. these stats are from last year when skinner was on a bad bucks team and thomas was on the Suns.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
lets not forget the NASH effect on players FG%, and that Seattle is a crappy team. Your post proves nothing to me, he is not similar, and by no means is better. KT played PHENOMENAL defense, which is not the case with skinner.

Thomas was/is a better low post defender, Skinner is a better shot blocker.

Neither one did or will stop a player like Duncan.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I do agree with alot of the points you're making. Amare is a great offensive player, and the way that we should use him is to move him to power forward, and to get a garbage man type center who's going to do all of the dirty work.

Where's Mark West's clone when we need him!

Heck, just have Mark suit up! He could still bring the fouls and the muscle like he did in the day...

arwillan

The King
Reaction score

i don't think that was the intention of bringing skinner in. the idea was put skinner on duncan to keep amare out of foul trouble and then have amare play the help defense.

cly2tw

Reaction score

We don't need to stop Duncan to beat the Spurs. Nobody can stop him anyway. All we need is to cover him one-on-one effectively enough that we can suffocate their scrubs on the perimeter. KT was doing the job as well as anybody could.

OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
the bottom line is that Amare needs interior help, because the current situation is inefficient and is hurting the suns.

cly2tw

Reaction score
the bottom line is that Amare needs interior help, because the current situation is inefficient and is hurting the suns.

That and we need to work on offenses without Nash handling the ball. Amare, Diaw, Hill are all potentially able to handle the duty. But we seem to never really work on some coherent plans around them but only occasionally let them do it when Nash is out. Amare in particular should be given a lot opportunities to have plays set up featuring him and the team needs to work on them.

Spurs have big three all able to initiate the offense in a big way. Teh Suns make themselves rely on just one person too much, who isn't even a dominant go-to scorer like TD or Parker are. That's reason why our average talent is higher than Spurs but we lose to them. ---> We don't utilize our talent potential efficiently!

OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
When Amare is the the go-to man on the team... The team wins, simple as that. He has broad shoulders and can carry this team along with NASH

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spurs have big three all able to initiate the offense in a big way. Teh Suns make themselves rely on just one person too much, who isn't even a dominant go-to scorer like TD or Parker are. That's reason why our average talent is higher than Spurs but we lose to them. ---> We don't utilize our talent potential efficiently!

So you think Parker is a dominant go to scorer and Nash is not? Hmmm.... not sure what you mean there Nash would school Parker which is why they usually have someone else gaurding Nash.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Great post. I don't know if those trades are realistic, but I would agree that they would help. This team NEEDS to consistently feed Amare the ball. When they do that, other defenders come over, thus leaving Suns shooters open for a 3, or an open Sun for a jumpshot.

But it all goes back to rebounding. In 04-05, JJ averaged 5.2 rebounds and Q averaged 6.1 rebounds. Those two positions now are averaging 3.3 rebounds and 4.5 rebounds. Its not a major slip, but rebounds are precious and we've seen it hurt the Suns.

cly2tw

Reaction score
So you think Parker is a dominant go to scorer and Nash is not? Hmmm.... not sure what you mean there Nash would school Parker which is why they usually have someone else gaurding Nash.

What?!?!?

They put Bowen on him for 3 reasons:

1. Bowen does a better job both on the man and in case of p&r where the switch wouldn't cause so much of mismatch Parker would then face.

2. Parker can save energy for the offensive and Marion or Bell are unable to use the mismatch just as Bowen can't exploit the mismatch with Nash defending him.

3. Bowen's on court time can be used to the fullest given his limited offensive ability, and be the co-MVP with TD for the Spurs against us.

As a matter of fact, the only guy who once owned Parker on both sides of the court was the previous PG on the Suns, but not Nash!

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Skinner and Thomas head to head all stats being per game
Skinner------Thomas
min 13.2 ---23.4
points 4.3--- 6.4
steals .4--- .6
rebounds 4 ---8.9
blocks 1.3-----.9
FG% 56%---- 48.1%

Skinner is similar, if not better, this year than KT.
all these numbers are with kurt getting more than 10 minutes more a game than skinner.
if given more minutes, these numbers would go up for skinner.

I bet the per48 stats would show skinner demolishing thomas.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
oh no doubt...i couldn't get them to work though. i liked "dirty" alot, but the point is skinner is better, bigger, and younger.

OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
the pick and roll (nash and stat) wins another game... SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
What do you mean when he puts his mind to it? He is up towards the top of the league right now.

You won't get any argument from me there. Amare should be a better rebounder for his size. Also, when Amare and Skinner are in there and Amare is matched up against a PF, I see his defense is much better. It's a product of him playing out of position and being an average defender trying to guard guys better suited at the center position.

Amare is a great offensive player, but I'm not so sure that he's in the top three in the league, although he has the ability to do so. The Dallas game is a good illustration of the tale of two Amares. He was non-existent in the first half, and then seemingly flipped a switch and went into beast mode. He had a run towards the beginning of the season (after he missed those games), where he was also routinely beasting teams.

For some one so gifted, he seems to have too many cold streaks, especially for a big man (you expect cold streaks for jump shooters). IMO it's because he doesn't have a great back to the basket game, and realies alot on face up drives and jumpers. He's a four (five to D'Antoni) that plays like a two. He's got the footwork and touch to be a great post player, but whether it's the coaching staff, motivation, whatever, he isn't getting it done in that area.

You're probably right in that a lot of it has to do with the coaching staff. He should be working on a jump hook rather than the three point shot.

SteelDog said:
Amare gets attacked because he often is the only big man out there. You foul Amare out and the Suns get into even more trouble in the middle. Even if Amare was a great defender, that strategy would still be the same if Amare was considered good or not.

It just gets a little easier when you have a PF playing out of position. D'Antoni has seen to that.

Agreed that the strategy would be the same, but the execution would be different. Most teams in the league try to attack down low if they have the personell, but it's way worse with Phoenix because Amare isn't a good defender.

SteelDog said:
Playing center is more then just size. It also about natural position. How many times have we seen in the NBA guys that fit the size of a given position but don't flourish until they do something else? You can't just look at how big, short, heavy etc.. a guy looks and say well he should play position X. If that was the case then Charles Barkley never would have played Power Forward in this league (before he got heavy :D).

I was just pointing out that Amare is physically able to play as a center, his skill set (poor defense/rebounding, no back to the basket game, decent midrange game), does point more towards him being a forward. Kind of like how Ben Wallace is physically a four, but is skill set dictates that he play the five.

Since I doubt that Mike is going to move him to the four, maybe I should get Amare a gift card to Krispy Kreme :D.

SteelDog said:
No actually it's D'Antoni's fault. Now he is starting to realize it with the announced line-up change. A Coaches job is to put his player in the best situation to succeed. Since small ball has never been successful in this league...I would say that rests squarely on the shoulder of D'Antoni.

Now if Amare plays the rest of this season at PF and gets worked by every power forward in the league then you have a point. Until then, you can't even judge Amare from that stand point.

It's both of their fault. There's a reason we always have Steve play against Bowen, because he isn't a very good defender. It's partially the players fault because he doesn't play good defense, and then it would be the coaches responsibility to adjust for that. We're stuck with a situation where it's the players fault for not playing good defense, and the coaches fault for not adjusting. That's why we're getting dumped on by most big men this season.

On a related note, do you actually think that Mike's going to make serious adjustments? He's said this a couple times about limiting guys minutes and playing the bench, but I'm sure after one game where we fail to score enough and Brian doesn't play well, he'll be back to fifteen minutes a game.

SteelDog said:
Too much Raja Bashing but not too much Amare bashing?????

I don't think he is playing good defense nor has he this season yet. I would be fine with Raja not hitting his 3's if he wasn't getting worked on "D" so much this season.

I never said that I didn't play favorites :D.

But seriously, I think that most fans are harder on the star players, and take it easy on role players, especially when the role players are busting their hump every night. Stars get all the praise and they draw all the criticism, it's just the nature of the game.

SteelDog said:
Pure crap it's just Amare. D'Antoni shouldn't get a pass here.

It's not just one guys fault. It's both.

SteelDog said:
You won't get any arguments from me about Marion. He to me is much more the reason we have survived many of these games with his rebounding and defense. He to me is much more valuable then Raja Bell. We can find another Raja but I don't think we will find another Marion.

So if we do trade him, it has to be for more then just one player. Your going to need a combo of guys to do what he does for us on any given night.

The suns are in a tough spot. We can't afford to trade rebounding and defense for a shooter. However, unless Raja and Barbosa get more consistent we need another shooter.

That's why I worry about trading Marion, especially for a guy with no defense like Mike Miller. I was better with AK47, because he's one of the few guys in the league that can do what Marion does, in that he has a complete game. Ron Artest is another guy who I think that we can get who would help to offset parts of Marion's game (he's a worse rebounder, but much better defensively, and that's saying something).

The guy who I think we should be looking into moving the most is Barbosa. He doesn't bring anything to the table that we can't live without, and he actually has a lot of value due to his contract and his starting numbers.

OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Amares gotten skinnier the last few years.... Lets fatten up his stats again. He is hungry, he wants the ball, lets make him full again!!!

cly2tw

Reaction score
I think it should be clear by now. Amare's problem is not really a problem of talent but a problem of motivation. DA and Nash want him to be just a decoy on the Nash-dominated offense and concentrate on doing the dirty defensive work a la Ben Wallace to ensure the unique DA-Nash team a success.

Amare, and some observers agree, feels slighted that way and, too bad for DA and Nash, not dumb enough to simply buy their philosophy and get motivated. Since we all know Amare is not Ben Wallace type of defender, the way the Suns play and how the opponents play them sets Amare's performance and evtl. his career for failure: it accentuates his weakness and doesn't utilize his strength nearly enough!

Even ODMG who was, maybe still is, willing to trade Amare for about anything in the league admitted that with his guard like footwork in general there is no reason he wouldn't become a proficient low post scorer. Well, probably not as good as the Dream or even Sir Charles but TD, Boozer, Bosh level should be conceivable. The problem is, are we giving him the chance to work on this aspect of the game? We certainly haven't done it due to Nash's dominance of the ball.

Now, the dilemma for Kerr now is whether to build around utilizing Amare's potential or to keep relying on DA-Nash system to the bitter end of no title for as long as both are stuck with what they are now. The ideal solution is to really emulate the Malone/Stockton relationship and instruct Nash to untrack Amare's game as the primary objective in each game that will ultimately both unfold Amare's potential and the long term success of a team around this Amare/Nash core.

For Amare, if the latter compromise is not found, he'd better demand: "Trade me or get rid of Nash/DA". If that happened, it'd unfortunate but I'd still be a fan for both Amare and Nash, and the Suns and root for them.

Today, I watched how Celtics came from behind to beat Utah. I'd say if they had Amare/Hill, plus one more low cost big like Skinner/PJ, on that team instead of KG/RayAllen, that team would be a lock for the title. No team would be able to silence both Amare and Pierce at the same time, not to mention Hill is always a threat though not as dangerous as Allen. Right now, they are just one among the contenders and the Suns not even a contender if they don't resolve the "chemistry" problem at home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison