Reasons to not panic;

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
1) Byron Murphy. Would have liked to keep him but you know PP had to have been in his ear Relentlessly. This was a long shot. Good for him. I’m over it.

2) Zach Allen. He knows where he is relative to other players. He needs to put himself in the best position to maximize a third contract, and that logically starts with the DC. Another long shot. I’m over it here also. Good for him I hope he does well, always seemed like a guy you could win with. He wasn’t coming back, nobody with a straight face could say otherwise.

Either of these guys might have returned if we taped the checkbook to a hammer (just made that up, not bad right?), but would that have been better, or worse?

3) I don’t have any comment one way or another on the former Iggles flying south for the winter, other than that’s just part of the rebuild. They can’t not do this. This isn’t an indictment of the current front office, it just is what it is. It would be dumb to bring in the same caliber players from some other random organization as opposed to ones who they think can help implement what they want to do, no?

D) The draft. This would be a hard draft to mess up, whether they stayed put at 3, traded down to 4 (yes please), or traded down again (nobody is trading up to 4, right? Right?). Draft defense and running game. They have to anyway, and it gives them a chance at least to be competitive until the next item on the list.

5) Kyler Murray. I’m very bullish on this one. Dude is keeping receipts on the doubters. I would not be surprised at all if he comes back a vastly improved player. That’s my gut feeling. Flame away. Or don’t. Whichever.

6) Our linebackers. I think you’re nuts if you give up on these guys. Way too much emphasis is put on them being off the ball. It’s easy to say and sounds provocative, but to think that either one of them doesn’t know how to play any of the LB spots is nuts. Besides the problem was VJ right? Right? You can’t have a quality defense without quality linebackers. Again I’m pretty bullish on this group as well.

7) Our offense is going to run through the running game (from the department of redundancy department), so go ahead and get what you can for Hopkins. He’s a mercenary, which he should be. Hope he does great for the Bears next year.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
If I’m building a team, it’s starting with RB, guard center guard, defensive tackle, middle linebacker, safety. We don’t have all of those, but we’ve got some, and the ability to add the rest on our own terms through the draft. And we should get a unicorn edge rusher in the process. So suck it, and damn the torpedoes.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
1) Byron Murphy. Would have liked to keep him but you know PP had to have been in his ear Relentlessly. This was a long shot. Good for him. I’m over it.

2) Zach Allen. He knows where he is relative to other players. He needs to put himself in the best position to maximize a third contract, and that logically starts with the DC. Another long shot. I’m over it here also. Good for him I hope he does well, always seemed like a guy you could win with. He wasn’t coming back, nobody with a straight face could say otherwise.

Either of these guys might have returned if we taped the checkbook to a hammer (just made that up, not bad right?), but would that have been better, or worse?

3) I don’t have any comment one way or another on the former Iggles flying south for the winter, other than that’s just part of the rebuild. They can’t not do this. This isn’t an indictment of the current front office, it just is what it is. It would be dumb to bring in the same caliber players from some other random organization as opposed to ones who they think can help implement what they want to do, no?

D) The draft. This would be a hard draft to mess up, whether they stayed put at 3, traded down to 4 (yes please), or traded down again (nobody is trading up to 4, right? Right?). Draft defense and running game. They have to anyway, and it gives them a chance at least to be competitive until the next item on the list.

5) Kyler Murray. I’m very bullish on this one. Dude is keeping receipts on the doubters. I would not be surprised at all if he comes back a vastly improved player. That’s my gut feeling. Flame away. Or don’t. Whichever.

6) Our linebackers. I think you’re nuts if you give up on these guys. Way too much emphasis is put on them being off the ball. It’s easy to say and sounds provocative, but to think that either one of them doesn’t know how to play any of the LB spots is nuts. Besides the problem was VJ right? Right? You can’t have a quality defense without quality linebackers. Again I’m pretty bullish on this group as well.

7) Our offense is going to run through the running game (from the department of redundancy department), so go ahead and get what you can for Hopkins. He’s a mercenary, which he should be. Hope he does great for the Bears next year.
D or 4 whichever you wanna call it (lol) you absolutely can blow it. There’s a pretty much a guaranteed really good player at #3 (barring injury of course) whom fits everything that JG & Monti are looking for in a dude. To me it’s a legit gamble trading past #4, especially with new people running the show & in particular a mixed scouting department from the previous poor drafts before.

To me, numerous guys from the holdover Cards scouting department most likely won’t be here after the draft next month. Monti & Co won’t have their handpicked full crew until the 2024 draft. It could affect the ability to draft well. Just sayin

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Numbers 1 and 2 are old news, easy to move on from.

Anderson will probably get picked by Houston. Houston will probably make a play for Hooker later in the draft. Just my opinion.

I like that the Admin has really kept all dealings in house and not in the media.

I can’t wait for Kyler to come back from his surgery and rehabilitation.

The draft should be fun.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The Cards did not sign Allen or Murphy because either they did not want to be here or Monti felt they were not worth the money, not because Bidwill is cheap because those contracts were not cap busters and something Michael would have done in the past with Keim giving the green light. I can only guess, but imagine Monti only wants extended contracts with players he had a hand in drafting and were his choice from the get go

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How do you know VJ was the problem? Why CAN’T it be Collins or Simmons?
Any cards fan with eyes can see that VJ is not a good DC, a good DC could figure out how to use Collins & Simmons, especially Simmons. That kid was amazing at Clemson & there's no way he just forgot how to play defense since he left.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
6. I haven't given up on Collins or Simmons, I know the problem was VJ didn't know how to use either one. A good DC will.
And the cherry on top of the sundae is a head coach whose best skill appeared to me like a deer staring into headlights. The less than great performance of many of the players was a reflection of bad planning, bad coaching, lazy coaching, etc etc. Where some inadequate...yes and KK had the recipe to bring out the worst in them....case closed.

mobyhammy

Reaction score
Allen and Murphy weren't re-signed because 2023 is not what we're building for. It would be foolish to bend over backwards so that we can go 8-9 instead of 4-13. Gannon and Ossenfort are taking a more long-term view. Build up the resources, stockpile draft picks, create more room under the cap and then 2024 and 2025 will be our time.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Allen and Murphy weren't re-signed because 2023 is not what we're building for. It would be foolish to bend over backwards so that we can go 8-9 instead of 4-13. Gannon and Ossenfort are taking a more long-term view. Build up the resources, stockpile draft picks, create more room under the cap and then 2024 and 2025 will be our time.
So Allen and Murphy can’t play past 2023?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose