OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think of Chalmers.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mario-Chalmers-278/

Chalmers’ biggest weaknesses as an NBA prospect revolve around his average athleticism and ball-handling skills, which makes him fairly ineffective as a shot-creator at the point guard position. He struggles going right, doesn’t have much of a mid-range game, and often looks out of control on his way to the basket, not being much of a finisher at the hoop due to his clear lack of explosiveness at the rim. This, combined with his underdeveloped playmaking instincts are a pretty big knock against his pro potential, but he should still be able to overcome his deficiencies and develop into a quality backup considering how many other things he brings to the table.

Weaknesses:

• Undersized
• Good, not great athlete
• Not a true point guard
• Mechanical offensively
• Average (advanced) ball-handler
• Shot-creating ability (for himself, others)
• Lacks mid-range game
• Loses accuracy shooting off dribble
• Clear-cut backup

I'm open to trading Leandro for a quality PG. I'd rather look at something for Jarrett Jack and either the Portland 33 or 36 pick.

Last edited:

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I'm really interested in number 5 from Memphis. Lowry, Navarro and #5 for Barbs, Tucker / DJ and 15?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Darryl Strawberry developed even into a Jacque Vaugh type player I would be happy. I really don't have high aspirations for him.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Boo. No more partial PGs. I want a pure PG to backup Nash. Chalmers could have been taken with the pick Phoenix traded with KT, so check back in three years to see if that was a big blunder.

I'm open to trading Leandro for a quality PG. I'd rather look at something for Jarrett Jack and either the Portland 33 or 36 pick.

Boo. Jack's Asst:TO ratio and total assists are not that much more than Barbosa's. Might be due to Roy, but still.

I was about to write that trading the #13 and Jack for Barbs would be a killer move for POR, but then I saw they have a euro SG coming over now. Contract-wise, Barbs would be attractive to them because they have tons of players that will get big raises next year, and Barbs contract is reasonable. Paul Allen is loaded, but not loaded enough to give deals to all their young guys. POR is probably most interested in trading the #13 plus 1-2 good young players for a near All-Star sort of player.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/06/rudy_rumors_true.html

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in number 5 from Memphis. Lowry, Navarro and #5 for Barbs, Tucker / DJ and 15?

It's not a great trade, but considering outside of Barbosa, the Suns would not be giving up much. The value in the trade for the Suns would be the #5 pick and getting a promising young PG with some upside. The Suns should be able snag an excellent player at #5. I don't know about the salary part. I'm not sure why Memphis does it except maybe getting a proven 6th man in Barbosa and also getting a quality but less proven player to develop at #15.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
It's funny how a few weeks ago the idea was to include Barbosa in a deal with Diaw because Leandro had so much value as to make up for Diaw's excessive contract. Now it sounds like there is an urge to trade Leadnro for "stuff."

I think Leandro is very good at what he does, so I would not trade him unless they get back a real point guard. I'm thinking we need a list of guys who fit rather than who is available.

The_Matrix

Jump Program
Reaction score
The Suns need a true backup point guard. They should draft Jordan Farmar, Rajon Rondo, Kyle Lowry or Marcus Williams with a late first round pick. They could even use an even later first round pick to take a chance on Sergio Rodriquez or Mardy Collins. Heck, even Daniel Gibson is available. If the Suns want to avoid rookies, Eddie House can be resigned. All future draft picks can then be used to address much needed shooting, defense, frontcourt size, etc.

nowagimp

Reaction score
If Darryl Strawberry developed even into a Jacque Vaugh type player I would be happy. I really don't have high aspirations for him.

I disagree on this one, strawberry has incredible athleticism that jacque never had in his dreams. Strawberry is very young, he needs some time and a shot. Even if he just gets a shot and some NBA smarts, he'd be a very good defender off the bench. DJ is a guy that, with expereince, could guard a tony parker, maybe even a CP3. Jacque vaugh could never aspire to that lofty a goal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree on this one, strawberry has incredible athleticism that jacque never had in his dreams. Strawberry is very young, he needs some time and a shot. Even if he just gets a shot and some NBA smarts, he'd be a very good defender off the bench. DJ is a guy that, with expereince, could guard a tony parker, maybe even a CP3. Jacque vaugh could never aspire to that lofty a goal.

In this discussion, I hope you have the winning cards. :thumbup:

Great athleticism does not always translate into great basketball. There are a huge number of tremendously athletic players that never cut the mustard.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
DJ is more than a great athlete. In college he was an extraordinary defender and in Las Vegas he played PG better than anybody else. His skills are similar to several other sucessful PG backups. The problem is that those guys aren't suited to the Suns style.

Oddly enough, the profile for DJ is much the same as for Rondo. He's still not a great shooter, but better than in collge.

nowagimp

Reaction score
DJ is more than a great athlete. In college he was an extraordinary defender and in Las Vegas he played PG better than anybody else. His skills are similar to several other sucessful PG backups. The problem is that those guys aren't suited to the Suns style.

Oddly enough, the profile for DJ is much the same as for Rondo. He's still not a great shooter, but better than in collge.

I think DJ's upside on defense is higher than rondo. DJ is 6'5" superquick at that size, has 40" vertical, has nice defensive skill basics, but he needs to learn the NBA game, defensively. He is too easily faked, and hasnt learned to use his body yet. With just some defensive decision making improvements and a shot he is a nice bench player. DJ also shows the ability to penetrate and use his athleticism, but its raw and more difficult for him as opponents dont respect his shot, much like rondo. DJ's court vision isnt that bad, but he needs a shot to open up the passing lanes. WIth a 17' jumper and defensive smarts, DJ will be a nice NBA bench player. If he gets an accurate perimeter(3pter) shot, he's gonna be VERY good. The encouraging thing is that DJ probably hasnt worked that much on his shooting as he is an unselfish player. So maybe, just maybe he becomes an NBA starter with some impact in 2-3 years.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's pretty rare that a player that shoots as poorly as DJ becomes a decent shooter, but it could happen. It needs to happen as even a great defender like Bowen would not play if he couldn't hit a decent clip on open shots.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
Boris Diaw should and must be shipped out.

I urge u guys to realise the simple fact: that Boris Diaw is not going to find a starting job here in Phoenix. And 9M is simple way too expensive for a bench player!!!

We all know our problem and solution. We got to add at least one true wing player who can provide really high quality defence at SF position, and of course, consistent 3 shooting!

Ideally, by trading Diaw we should get a star SF, but we have never heard about another team interested beside New York, and there is none in their roster fit our need.

But we all know Sarvar would not allow Kerr to go far into tax land. Trade Diaw and reduce the pay roll for a few million, this is a key point.

I think we all know 9M is way too much for Diaw's production... you ask for a trade? Maybe you can propose a trade scenario making the team better. I am still waiting for one.

nowagimp

Reaction score
It's pretty rare that a player that shoots as poorly as DJ becomes a decent shooter, but it could happen. It needs to happen as even a great defender like Bowen would not play if he couldn't hit a decent clip on open shots.

Raja Bell shot 30% from 3 for his first two years. He has shot 40%+ 4 years in a row now. Bowen also came into the NBA a mediocre shooter, that has changed as his 3pt % is 40+ every year. Even Michael Jordan and Magic came in as mediocre outside shooters, and they ended up pretty effective.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I think we all know 9M is way too much for Diaw's production... you ask for a trade? Maybe you can propose a trade scenario making the team better. I am still waiting for one.

Yeah Im sure Kerr could get rid of Diaws contract, just like they got rid of KT's. It might take a couple 1st round picks to unload it. Sounds kind of dumb to me, selling while the value is low and the contract expensive.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score

Rare? Yes. Impossible, hardly.

Raja Bell:

00-01 28.6% and 33.3% for three (total of 30 minutes for the year)
01-02 42.9% and 27.3% for three (890 minutes)
02-03 44.1% and 41.2% for three

Joe Johnson

01-02 42.0% and 33.3% for three
02-03 39.7% and 36.6% for three
03-04 43.0% and 30.5% for three
04-05 46.1% and 47.8% for three

Perhaps it's a coincidence that both guys had a jump when playing with Nash. In any case, they spent their off season working on their shot. JJ had a pretty shot that just didn't go in. In any case, it can be done.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort