Question regarding inheriting money

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel guilty asking this question but my dad has a collection of fly fishing reels that I'm going to inherit one day(hopefully not for a long time). The "value" of these reels is kind of hard to gauge but I'd say 40-50K is a reasonable guesstimate.

In a case like that where you're inheriting stuff with value, not cash, is there a tax involved? Supposing I inherited the reels and sold them(I probably would NOT I would keep them for sentimental value), would I then be taxed on that as income?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I feel guilty asking this question but my dad has a collection of fly fishing reels that I'm going to inherit one day(hopefully not for a long time). The "value" of these reels is kind of hard to gauge but I'd say 40-50K is a reasonable guesstimate.

In a case like that where you're inheriting stuff with value, not cash, is there a tax involved? Supposing I inherited the reels and sold them(I probably would NOT I would keep them for sentimental value), would I then be taxed on that as income?

All items are SUPPOSED to be valued at fair market value. But, no taxes would be necessary if the total estate is beneath the limit at the time (whatever Congress ends up deciding).

Of course, one way to avoid some of that is to have him (years from now) start giving them to you before he dies.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
And married couples can give $24,000/year per person... :)

Jon, I forgot. You are an accountant aren't you?

You should have jumped in on the window sticker thread in P & R when LIAC and I were arguing about estate taxes.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Jon, I forgot. You are an accountant aren't you?

You should have jumped in on the window sticker thread in P & R when LIAC and I were arguing about estate taxes.

Yes, I am an accountant (but don't deal with taxes :))

Which thread?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose