Question for Russ about UCLA hiring Howland

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I was wondering how the hiring process worked when UCLA hired Ben Howland. Did they interview multiple candidates or did they just quietly strike a deal with Howland. Also do you remember if Howland was the biggest name at the time? I'm trying to gain some perspective on what the coach hunt for the UA will look like after this season and what you think will end up happening. Thanks for your insight.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
From what I recall they made inquiries mostly into Pitino and Howland and ultimately chose the latter after he denied interest all year. UA will be fine if they pony up the 2-3 million a year Livengood and the boosters have promised.

OP
OP
General Chaos

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
From what I recall they made inquiries mostly into Pitino and Howland and ultimately chose the latter after he denied interest all year. UA will be fine if they pony up the 2-3 million a year Livengood and the boosters have promised.

I hope you're right. Who do you prefer Mao?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how the hiring process worked when UCLA hired Ben Howland. Did they interview multiple candidates or did they just quietly strike a deal with Howland. Also do you remember if Howland was the biggest name at the time? I'm trying to gain some perspective on what the coach hunt for the UA will look like after this season and what you think will end up happening. Thanks for your insight.

They talked to Pitino during the season, it was something that leaked out and UCLA got caught looking bad going behind Lavin's back, but Pitino declined to pursue it.

My understanding is Howland was the leading candidate and Sonny Vaccaro(ugh) was a bit factor in pulling the 2 sides together and helpin get the funds committed to allow UCLA to hire Howland.

the one good thing Vaccaro has done IMHO.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think Calipari should be option A, B, and C.

Not sure who it will actually be, there's a lot of smoke screens right now.

Read that Pitino would be an potential candidate as well and that he is angling to get out of the Big East.

At the very least I can say they are going after the big fish.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Read that Pitino would be an potential candidate as well and that he is angling to get out of the Big East.

At the very least I can say they are going after the big fish.

When all is said and done it's going to come down to money. If UA spends the it they'll get a big-time coach. If they don't they're essentially rolling the dice on an up-and-comer in league of coaching vets.

So with that being said, the biggest question isn't who Arizona is going to get but how much they are willing to pay.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
When all is said and done it's going to come down to money. If UA spends the it they'll get a big-time coach. If they don't they're essentially rolling the dice on an up-and-comer in league of coaching vets.

So with that being said, the biggest question isn't who Arizona is going to get but how much they are willing to pay.

I thought you were convinced they were going to pay the 2 -3 million a year it would require a big name coach. Did something happen that has you unsure of that fact all of a sudden?

And when are you going to weigh in on the Cards Mao? Too much positive mojo going right now or what?;)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I thought you were convinced they were going to pay the 2 -3 million a year it would require a big name coach. Did something happen that has you unsure of that fact all of a sudden?
It's Jim Livengood we're talking about, you never know what he's going to do although from what I gather he won't be making the final decision on this one. I do know that boosters have told him they'd chip in to pay someone up to $2.5-$3 million if he was the right guy and that they prefer a Calipari or Pitino. I also heard boosters want an up-tempo program that will separate and make us unique from UCLA whereas Livengood wants to emulate the Bruins (ie, Dixon or Sean Miller or Kruger). But the guys cutting the checks usually have the most pull in these things so it would not surprise me if we targeted Calipari and Pitino (he has lots of connections to UA through his horse racing ventures) first and moved on from there.

But picking through what is a smoke screen and what is legit is difficult. Rivals probably has better info than me.

And when are you going to weigh in on the Cards Mao? Too much positive mojo going right now or what?;)
Not going to jinx them, I'll have dozens of thoughts in a couple weeks when I get back from Tampa.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard