Quarter-pole Snap Count Snaps That May Only Be Interesting to Me

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Since we're obviously making a little bit of a transition in the quarter mark of the season, I wanted to record a couple of facts from the FootballOutsiders Snap Count stats for future reference (it's easier to store them somewhere then add them up over the course of the season).

Karlos Dansby has played on 100% of the defensive snaps (276) and is the only player besides Patrick Peterson to do so.

Andre Ellington has played 28% of the offensive snap total--73 snaps.

Michael Floyd is clearly the starting WR--92% of offensive snaps (241) against 66% for Andre Roberts (172). He's been on the field more than Larry Fitzgerald, who has been battling injuries.

Rashard Mendenhall is on the field little more than half the time--52% of offensive snaps (135).

Patrick Peterson must be wondering why he was repped so frequently with the offense in training camp. He's been on the field with Carson Palmer 5% of downs--just 15 total snaps.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So people wouldn't be mad if they throw to Ellington on 3rd and short in the 4th Q now?

:)

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The other thing that I wanted to check and compare was Andre Ellington's usage stats. Through the first four games of the year, Ellington has had 11 carries and 17 pass targets.

That's 28 total opportunities in 73 snaps. That means that nearly 40% of the time when Ellington's on the field, he's going to get the ball. That's actually less than I expected, but is still pretty surprising.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool and in-depth. Something a troll, and apparently no one covering the Cardinals, would not do.

:)

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm fascinated by how the Cards are going to share time at ILB once Minter gets healthy and now that Daryl Washington is coming back. So I'll record Jasper Brinkley's usage stats here for future reference.

While D-Dub was thinking about what he'd done, Jasper Brinkley (one of BASK's top 6 free agent targets), was on the field for 63% of the defensive snaps (175). I wish I had a situational stat library that let me know how many run-down situations the Cards have been in at this point.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fascinated by how the Cards are going to share time at ILB once Minter gets healthy and now that Daryl Washington is coming back. So I'll record Jasper Brinkley's usage stats here for future reference.

While D-Dub was thinking about what he'd done, Jasper Brinkley (one of BASK's top 6 free agent targets), was on the field for 63% of the defensive snaps (175). I wish I had a situational stat library that let me know how many run-down situations the Cards have been in at this point.
I saw a stat somewhere that Brinkley had the top run stop percentage for ILBs. Not sure what it means, but he has that going for him.

And going from 0% of snaps for Stew Badly to 63% of snaps for Brinkley get you one of these:

:championship:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Patrick Peterson must be wondering why he was repped so frequently with the offense in training camp. He's been on the field with Carson Palmer 5% of downs--just 15 total snaps.

Hey K9, Of those 15, how many times did Mr Peterson get the ball?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many more snaps should we expect PP to get on offense? If the WR's don't know the plays, can we expect PP to?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
How many more snaps should we expect PP to get on offense? If the WR's don't know the plays, can we expect PP to?

My incredible math skills tell me PP has gotten about 1 play per quarter. Seems like a reasonable amount.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Good stuff and thanks for sharing.

I am also very interested to see how the snaps will change with DWash coming back. I would think that LOS could use a breather now and again.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hey K9, Of those 15, how many times did Mr Peterson get the ball?

Well, he has 1 rush, 1 pass attempt, and 2 receptions, according to Pro Football Reference. What I don't know is how many times that he was targeted. I sent out an inquiry to Aaron Schatz with Football Outsiders; I hope that he'll let me know.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he has 1 rush, 1 pass attempt, and 2 receptions, according to Pro Football Reference. What I don't know is how many times that he was targeted. I sent out an inquiry to Aaron Schatz with Football Outsiders; I hope that he'll let me know.
You only respond to 5% of my questions. I hope Schatzkie is more responsive.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

My incredible math skills tell me PP has gotten about 1 play per quarter. Seems like a reasonable amount.

I think it's reasonable to sane expectations, but it's unreasonable compared to the expectations that were created by the training camp press over how many reps was getting with the offense in training camp.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's reasonable to sane expectations, but it's unreasonable compared to the expectations that were created by the training camp press over how many reps was getting with the offense in training camp.
Those expectations you speak of were unreasonable then. The reps didn't make Mulli expect anymore than what has happened.

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't post very often here, but I have been working for PFF this year on snap count data, so if you have any specific questions on numbers I can try to help out.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
PP needs to know about 50 offensive plays. The actual offensive playbook is a lot bigger than that I am sure.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got a question...

I don't post very often here, but I have been working for PFF this year on snap count data, so if you have any specific questions on numbers I can try to help out.
Other than watching tape and documenting which players were in for each play, what other snap-count data are you involved in?

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
Other than watching tape and documenting which players were in for each play, what other snap-count data are you involved in?
It's mainly who is on the field and what position they are playing on each snap, but I also track things like who is in press coverage, who blitzes, and when backs/tight ends stay in to block.