QB 1 (?) Josh Dobbs

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's clear there was no comfort with what they had. The first team couldn't move the ball in preseason, they probably couldn't move the ball in practice either, the offense simply wasn't working.

They asked the OC if he had any ideas and he was like "there was this guy in Cleveland... he never played but he was seemed pretty smart, knew the plays at least, lets bring him in!"

I'm obviously being glib, but I doubt that take is far off. The 1st string offense was putrid in preseason and I think in their desperation for an answer they went looking for someone who "knows the system" and was available on the cheap.

However.... Dobbs is 28 years old and has been a 3rd string and practice squad guy his whole career. The whole situation screams of desperation.
I honestly don’t think the preseason games were what triggered the move, and it wasn’t an act of desperation. The Cardinals knew of Dobbs, had watched him all along, and definitely had interest in him. It was a combination of the horrid Minnesota practices & knowing that Murray wasn’t going to be back for 4-6 weeks that triggered the move. Petzing’s offense is most efficient with a QB that can run and throw. JG scheduled the Minnesota practices because that’s the closest thing you can get to a regular season game. I’ve heard that he asked Flores to come at his offense full tilt, as he absolutely needed to see how McCoy specifically handled it. When he couldn’t at all handle it, the move for Dobbs was made. The trade for Dobbs shouldn’t have surprised anyone. Not only were the Cardinals interested in Dobbs all along, but they were in conversations with Cleveland all along. MOJG had a plan all along should that Minnesota practice look ugly & they followed their plan and pulled the trigger on the trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's what you took away from what he said?

I think he means that Dobbs won't have a 50% completion percentage, and he won't throw 4 picks either. We won't lose due to bad QB play. We will lose in some other fashion.
We aren’t good enough in another facet of the game for our qb to be just a placeholder and escape blame for losses. Again, I think the pre-excusing of dobbs from future losses is a weird take.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you look at it this way. :billthecat:

Sunday's starter at QB for the Cardinals, Josh Dobbs:
* Drafted in the 4th Round
* 2 NFL Starts

Sunday's starter at QB for the Commies, Sam Howell:
* Drafted in the 5th Round
* 1 NFL Start
But dobbs has had 5 seasons to establish himself as a starter in an nfl that is crazy starved for starting QBs and hasn’t shown it. Howell was drafted last year and convinced a team he could be their starter the next season. So those numbers you provided are kinda irrelevant.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But dobbs has had 5 seasons to establish himself as a starter in an nfl that is crazy starved for starting QBs and hasn’t shown it. Howell was drafted last year and convinced a team he could be their starter the next season. So those numbers you provided are kinda irrelevant.
All true, but in no way does this game highlight a battle of QB’s. Whatever team creates turnovers & runs the ball better will probably win this game. Dobbs spent his early years learning behind Big Ben. And I’m not going to be overly impressed much with Howell who had to compete with Carson Wentz and Taylor Heinicke last year, and managed to beat out Jacoby Brissett this year. I expect the Cardinals to be creative with pressure early on to force Howell into possible mistakes. The Washington OL is average at best. My in-laws that are Skins fans say their OL is borderline awful. I expect the Cardinals to stack the line & force Howell to beat them with his arm. I’ll be surprised if this isn’t a pretty close game, but then again, historically, we always find a way to disappoint.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think that is being generous.

Not a single QB on this list is worse than Dobbs.

You must be registered for see images attach
Potentially! Certainly over the long term. But it’s possible that Dobbs could be marginally better than the rookie starters, Fields, and Ridder.

This team is kind of a test case for me that there isn’t much of a difference between the 15th- and 54th-best player on a roster. Somewhere between 40 and 45 players on this roster are replacement level or barely above.

Just not enough good players on this team. Even if you add three good players in every draft, that will never be enough to get you back above water.
I think he was making a joke/false equivalence.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We aren’t good enough in another facet of the game for our qb to be just a placeholder and escape blame for losses. Again, I think the pre-excusing of dobbs from future losses is a weird take.
Okay. That's fair.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It will be interesting to see if Drew stays on the sideline longterm or if he transitions to the booth. I know he tried both in preseason and stayed on the field for now.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soft bigotry of low expectations.

Someone get my guy a phone book to sit on or something.
Right? He got out of the huddle quickly? What a ringing endorsement.

He has a firm grasp of the offense? Okay... taking Drew at his word here that he does have a firm grasp, the inference we can make is either:
A) Dobbs knows the offense, but can't execute it.
B) Dobbs knows and is executing the offense, but the offense is still terrible.

Neither are a good look Drew.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Think our problem has more to do with omens than with QB play. My psychic tells me that Week One would be a bad one for guys named Josh. And she was correct. I asked about Week Two, but she said that would be another $200, and I said, no thanks, as I can read this Board for nothing. She replied, that you get what you pay for.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
Where is the puke emoji when you need one
I don't get your obsession with Tune, other than a cool name. He is a 5th round draft pick rookie that was a 50% passer in pre-season against 2nd and 3rd defenses. He may improve to a competent back up, but the coaches have seen much more in practice than we have in the pre-season games, and don't think he is ready.

I am not a fan of Dobbs, and I think that Blough may have done as well as Dobbs, without giving up a draft pick. But Tune is not the answer to quarterback problems unit Murray is back.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd