QB 1 (?) Josh Dobbs

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Imagine essentially saying that Dobbs and Matt Ryan are the same quality of QB. (I argue that Hasselbeck and Ryan are comparable)

In 13 years Dilfer had 58 wins, over 20k yards, and 113 TDs to go along with a Pro Bowl and a Super Bowl title. In 5 years Dobbs has 1 win, 1400 yards passing and 8 TDs.
Dilfer road an all-time defense to a Super Bowl....also, I said Dobbs is somewhere between Dilfer and Hasselbeck....not equal to Hasselbeck. Good Lord...it's so easy to offend some people...haha

I think if Dobbs had a defense like Dilfer did, he'd probably have huge success, too. A lot of QBs would.

PS: 58 wins / 13 years = 4.5 wins per year....about what Dobbs is on pace for this season, with a crap roster.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Dilfer road an all-time defense to a Super Bowl....also, I said Dobbs is somewhere between Dilfer and Hasselbeck....not equal to Hasselbeck. Good Lord...it's so easy to offend some people...haha

I think if Dobbs had a defense like Dilfer did, he'd probably have huge success, too. A lot of QBs would.

PS: 58 wins / 13 years = 4.5 wins per year....about what Dobbs is on pace for this season, with a crap roster.
Dilfer was the sixth pick in the NFL draft. In the six seasons after his rookie year when he started eight games or more, he won 7.5 games per season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is no conversation where Dobbs is even remotely close to Hasselback, so why use him as any point of reference?

That’s like saying Dobbs is between a caretaker QB and a Pro Bowl level QB. What kind of spectrum is that to even make a point about?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No, no he won't. Dude is a career backup for a reason, and people got pretty silly over some very average starts.
If he kept up the pace he was at before, he absolutely would.

I've noticed how quiet you've been on this topic after being so epically wrong on Dobbs over the past quarter season. Now you feel chippy enough after a bad game to come and do the "Neener, Neener" routine.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dilfer was the sixth pick in the NFL draft. In the six seasons after his rookie year when he started eight games or more, he won 7.5 games per season.
Jamarcus Russell was the number one overall.

Ridiculous to use that as any evidence of, well anything.

So Dilfer could lead to you a losing season every year. What are you arguing?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If he kept up the pace he was at before, he absolutely would.
If if's and buts were candy and nuts..."if he were a good QB, he'd be a good QB"! I understand you want him to be more than he is, but take off the kool-aid colored glasses and face reality- Dobbs is an OK backup at best.
I've noticed how quiet you've been on this topic after being so epically wrong on Dobbs over the past quarter season. Now you feel chippy enough after a bad game to come and do the "Neener, Neener" routine.
Epically wrong? LOL. He's 1-4, not protecting the ball, and d-coordinators are figuring him out.

Epically wrong is thinking he'll ever be a credible NFL starter. We'll see how that prediction of yours ages.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Dilfer was a pretty bad QB most of his career. I don't know why @kerouac9 is arguing this point. His best play was when he was essentially asked to no lose the game.

One of the all time worst games I've ever watched was when the Cardinals played the Ravens the first time the won the Super Bowl. That was such a bad Super Bowl team that faced probably the easiest slate of QBs any Super Bowl team had ever had to face. Kerry Collins was the best QB they faced that year.

So little was asked of Dilfer because they just had to run the ball and play defense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If if's and buts were candy and nuts..."if he were a good QB, he'd be a good QB"! I understand you want him to be more than he is, but take off the kool-aid colored glasses and face reality- Dobbs is an OK backup at best.
The trade was still worth it.
Epically wrong? LOL. He's 1-4, not protecting the ball, and d-coordinators are figuring him out.
Maybe. That's speculation currently.
Epically wrong is thinking he'll ever be a credible NFL starter. We'll see how that prediction of yours ages.
Are you a straw farmer or something, you are the king of strawmen. Never did I even say he will be. I said if he keeps it up.

Either way you have been emphatically wrong on Dobbs. He has been mostly pretty solid.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Either way you have been emphatically wrong on Dobbs. He has been mostly pretty solid.
He's 1-4 and his turnovers have directly contributed to our losses. If you think that pretty solid, then good for you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Dilfer was a pretty bad QB most of his career. I don't know why @kerouac9 is arguing this point. His best play was when he was essentially asked to no lose the game.

One of the all time worst games I've ever watched was when the Cardinals played the Ravens the first time the won the Super Bowl. That was such a bad Super Bowl team that faced probably the easiest slate of QBs any Super Bowl team had ever had to face. Kerry Collins was the best QB they faced that year.

So little was asked of Dilfer because they just had to run the ball and play defense.
Yes, and Dobbs is no where close to being as good of a QB as Dilfer was. That tells you what you need to know about Dobbs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes, and Dobbs is no where close to being as good of a QB as Dilfer was. That tells you what you need to know about Dobbs.
I don't know. Different eras. Different teams.

Let's not argue that either are very good.

Dobbs has hit the backup QB wall. It happened.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I believe that was the infamous "Jake the Snake behind the back pass pick six" game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought this must be cgi but I can normally spot it and this looks real

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Britcard, the passing game Is changed with more strictly rules which favor qbs putting better stats then in thè Dilfer era, and u didnt even follow the NFL in that time
Dilfer was an above average qb, not a star but u cant compare him with dobbs

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Britcard, the passing game Is changed with more strictly rules which favor qbs putting better stats then in thè Dilfer era, and u didnt even follow the NFL in that time

I didn't! That was someone else.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ1

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Matt Ryan was an MVP. To me, he’s one step up from Hasselback. Hasselback is comparable to Eli Manning for me.

Either way, putting Dobbs in the conversation with any of these dudes is unhinged.
Got to agree. Also, as Cardinal fans, we should know better than anyone how good Hasselbeck really was. Dude crushed our souls repeatedly. Dobbs is is young and hopefully this season propels him to a good career but there’s zero comparison at this point. People tried this with Kyle Allen a couple years ago after Cam went down. What’s he doing now?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You think Dilfer was an above average quarterback? Dilfer had a career completion percentage of 55% and averaged 2,339 yards passing per season in years where he started more than 10 games. He wasn't even a game manager, he thew more picks than TDs.

In his superbowl season 34 other quarterbacks threw more yards than him. That doesn't sound above average to me. 13 QBs had more than 3000 yards (some had 4,000) while Dilfer put up 1,500. It may be easier to pass now, but it certainly wasn't as impossible as Dilfer made it seem.

Baltimore let him go immediately after their superbowl run and he spent the rest of his days as a backup QB, and not a very good one either. Dobbs could easily prove himself to be a better QB than Dilfer in the next couple years.

Last edited:

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
No, no he won't. Dude is a career backup for a reason, and people got pretty silly over some very average starts..

Agree. However, his play this year has likely extended his NFL career by a decent amount. He won't have issues finding a spot on a roster as the backup QB for several years probably.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Agree. However, his play this year has likely extended his NFL career by a decent amount. He won't have issues finding a spot on a roster as the backup QB for several years probably.
Yeah, he's shown he's not a total disaster so that's a huge W for his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard