PreDraft notes. Draft news leading up to draft day.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think its going to be hard to get an immediate impact contributor unless KK and/or Joseph are willing to essentially name them a starter right away. With limited OTA's and all the strangeness that could lead up to this season, what rookie are they going to hand a job to?

A WR is going to start off at least 4th on the depth chart. An OT might have a chance, but no coach will say a rookie will be handed the job over a healthy Marcus Gilbert. I guess I'm saying there are lots of guys that can contribute right away if given the chance, but its hard for me to think of a position where they will be an unquestioned started the minute the pick is in...like KM last year.

Is there a position that jumps out to you that a coach would come out and say "he's our guy" at this spot?? D-Line is it for me, and only because its expected they will rotate guys.

Derrick Brown would start right off on the left side, imo. He'd be a three down lineman.

Wirfs would supplant at either RT or G right away, imo.

Lamb would start on the outside opposite Hopkins right away. Impact receiver long term. They'd obviously be loaded at the position, but they kept 7 last year, and Cooper and Byrd are gone...so?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Derrick Brown would start right off on the left side, imo. He'd be a three down lineman.

Wirfs would supplant at either RT or G right away, imo.

Lamb would start on the outside opposite Hopkins right away. Impact receiver long term. They'd obviously be loaded at the position, but they kept 7 last year, and Cooper and Byrd are gone...so?
Wirfs starting at RT over a healthy Marcus Gilbert's veteran presence? Doubt that happens. No way he starts over Sweezy either. He would be rotational his first season to get experience but only when the coaches think he's ready. Of course there's always a chance of someone getting hurt & then he has to play.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wirfs starting at RT over a healthy Marcus Gilbert's veteran presence? Doubt that happens. No way he starts over Sweezy either. He would be rotational his first season to get experience but only when the coaches think he's ready. Of course there's always a chance of someone getting hurt & then he has to play.
Unless they really would cut Sweezy, save 5 mill, start Wirfs off at G until he's ready.

If everything was normal I'd think that was possible. Cause of a lack of practice I cant see it right now.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yes
If he ain’t better than Gilbert right damn now then they shouldn’t even consider him in the top ten

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes
If he ain’t better than Gilbert right damn now then they shouldn’t even consider him in the top ten

He will not be better than Gilbert as a rookie. No way.

Gilbert is a top 10 RT when healthy

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

True.

There were 13 OT's taken in the top 101 last year (2019 Draft). Top 64 still TBD with Senior Bowl and Combine.

I think there will be more OT's taken this year (15-18?) in the top 101 and the quality is better IMO. Jonah Williams was the #1 OT in 2019 vs Andrew Thomas this year as an example.

Andrew Thomas LT
Jedrick Wills
Mekhi Becton LT
Tristan Wirfs
Lucan Niang
Robert Hunt G/T
Isiah Wilson
Trey Adams
Josh Jones LT
Matt Peart LT
Alex Taylor
Terrance Steele
Prince Tega Wanogho LT
Ezra Cleveland LT
Austin Jackson LT
Hakeem Adenji
Yasir Durant

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
After watching the press conference I think Keim is going to have a more traditional draft since he will not be able to bring in players at the last minute. He seemed to feel there were 8-10 blue chip players in the draft but he didn't hesitate that he would trade back if it helps the team and the trade is for fair value. Of course he mentioned trading up but I doubt that happens.

Sometimes I think Keim is like a lot of us in that he wants more presents to open at Christmas.

Too bad most of the presents Keim is responsible for opening suck. This idiot should not trade down for picks, to take the Cards out of Bluechip land to land more Chad William's, Troy Niklaus, Brandon William's and Robert Houslers of the world.

Nobody speaks that the 2 WRs that went after Andy Isabella were DK Metcalf and Terry Mclaurin, two guys who were the top guys Recieving on their team last year, while Andy Isabella didnt crack the field. Haakem Butler was looking to get cut pre injury and KJ became more inactive the more he played and the season progressed.

This is the same GM guy who traded up for a QB only to take another QB the following year.

This is the same GM who drafted 3 Wrs last year 2nd, 4th and 6th round and it's still very possible, with this years 1st they take a WR, followed by the 2nd rd pick being traded for WR.

If the Cards take WR in the first, the Cards would have invested a First rounder, 2 second Rd picks, 2 fourth rd picks and a 6th on WR this past 2 seasons

Also investing the #1 overall, #10 overall, a 3rd and a 5th rd pick the past two season on the QB position as well.

No trading down Keim!

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad most of the presents Keim is responsible for opening suck. This idiot should not trade down for picks, to take the Cards out of Bluechip land to land more Chad William's, Troy Niklaus, Brandon William's and Robert Houslers of the world.

Nobody speaks that the 2 WRs that went after Andy Isabella were DK Metcalf and Terry Mclaurin, two guys who were the top guys Recieving on their team last year, while Andy Isabella didnt crack the field. Haakem Butler was looking to get cut pre injury and KJ became more inactive the more he played and the season progressed.

This is the same GM guy who traded up for a QB only to take another QB the following year.

This is the same GM who drafted 3 Wrs last year 2nd, 4th and 5th round and it's still very possible, with this years 1st they take a WR, followed by the 2nd rd pick being traded for WR.

If the Cards take WR in the first, the Cards would have invested a First rounder, 2 second Rd picks, 2 fourth rd picks and a 6th on WR this past 2 seasons

Also investing the #1 overall, #10 overall, a 3rd and a 5th rd pick the past the past two season on the QB position as well.

Lots of great points. I wouldn't argue with any of them. If the Cardinals trade down my hope is Keim doesn't get cute. I think it is less likely in this draft because there is less time to over think it.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lots of great points. I wouldn't argue with any of them. If the Cardinals trade down my hope is Keim doesn't get cute.
Which he loves to do, he is a trade master, but the Cards cant draft period, he hits on the Gimme picks, just pretend Hopkins was the second pick and stay.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If we don't trade up for Simmons, then trading back to 11,12 makes sense because there are at least 5 players who we can use after Simmons goes off who are all graded together. Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Brown and Lamb. You might even add one or two more to them.
If a team is looking to trade up ahead of Jaxsonville or Oakland say for a QB that falls, we might get a real good offer to move.
This is one of the deepest drafts for WR and T at the top end.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which he loves to do, he is a trade master, but the Cards cant draft period, he hits on the Gimme picks, just pretend Hopkins was the second pick and stay.

Legitimate argument. If someone is special there at #8 like Okudah they should stay. If not, and they like Lamb in a trade down, I have no problem with it.

I've been mostly for drafting a tackle at #8 but unless it's a right tackle that can be groomed to play left tackle I'm less intrigued.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This is the same GM who drafted 3 Wrs last year 2nd, 4th and 6th round and it's still very possible, with this years 1st they take a WR, followed by the 2nd rd pick being traded for WR.

Also investing the #1 overall, #10 overall, a 3rd and a 5th rd pick the past two season on the QB position as well.

No trading down Keim!
If Isabella wasnt there I'm pretty sure he would have taken Butler. On the draft doc it seemed like if they were going for need (WR) in the 2nd round it was either Isabella or Butler. So imagine drafting Butler in the 2nd round and they were seriously thinking about cutting him. Yikes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this time of year!

Wouldn't it be crazy good to get basketball, baseball and football going at the same time even if limited to watching it on television.

It's probably not realistic due to the coronavirus but there still seems to be a slight chance this summer of having sports without crowds.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

No trading down Keim!
Are you talking about the same guy who pulled off the Hopkins trade?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This worries me.

I see the Panthers taking Simmons at 7. Which means the Cards take Brown over Wirfs.
The Giants pick will be big for us. Not sure we're completely sold on any one OL. With Gilbert and Murray in the fold for at least this season and mtl more on Murray they'll have plenty of flexibility with that pick. They may want Brown and he'd be good for the LBers to make plays behind him. He'll eat up linemen. He'll push the pocket and not get too much credit. But he's still a force.

Lamb is also in play there.