Pre-Camp Roster Questions & Breakdown

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He is none of them apparently. Since he was released today.

First thing that comes to mind, is .... who is playing nickel?

Things brings some attention back to Brandon Williams' place on the team as well.

Maybe they are going to sign a safety, or cornerback, or just think Wilks is going to be able to coach up what he has?

Questions abound.
bene benwickerie maybe??

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
bene benwickerie maybe??

I dunno, this is where I get lost with the current new regime.

We have had Whizenhunt and Arians run a 3-4, Dick LaBeau, style defense since 2007.

Its been 10 years since the Cardinals ran a different defensive system. I have no idea what they are looking for at certain positions. Look no further than my assessment that Marcus Williams was going to be the nickel back and three days later he is released.

If I had to guess again, and with my recent track record that means as much as it sounds, I would say Jamar Taylor would be on the outside and Benwikere would be on the outside, since that is where Benwikere played most of his career ?

Again, I do not know. The whole secondary seems really thin, but then again, we do not know what Wilks feels about the situation either. There may be "no names" to us, that he is familiar with and comfortable with in certain roles.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno, this is where I get lost with the current new regime.

We have had Whizenhunt and Arians run a 3-4, Dick LaBeau, style defense since 2007.

Its been 10 years since the Cardinals ran a different defensive system. I have no idea what they are looking for at certain positions. Look no further than my assessment that Marcus Williams was going to be the nickel back and three days later he is released.

If I had to guess again, and with my recent track record that means as much as it sounds, I would say Jamar Taylor would be on the outside and Benwikere would be on the outside, since that is where Benwikere played most of his career ?

Again, I do not know. The whole secondary seems really thin, but then again, we do not know what Wilks feels about the situation either. There may be "no names" to us, that he is familiar with and comfortable with in certain roles.
or he could be planning to force feed williams... just put the kid in the slot, get him some experience, but scheme him some safety help

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Things brings some attention back to Brandon Williams' place on the team as well.

Maybe they are going to sign a safety, or cornerback, or just think Wilks is going to be able to coach up what he has?

Questions abound.

I think Deatrick Nichols is the likely Nickle. His name kind of fits too.

Also they may use buddha like they used Tyrann and he could be the nickle part of the time also

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also they may use buddha like they used Tyrann and he could be the nickle part of the time also
That only works if we can pick up another quality safety... which I hope we do soon.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That only works if we can pick up another quality safety... which I hope we do soon.

They are waiting june 1 so they can still keep the 7th round compensatory pick
Lol

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Agreed.

It is a conundrum. We are short either a safety or a nickel back.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think Deatrick Nichols is the likely Nickle. His name kind of fits too.

A UDFA? Mitch, is that really you?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed.

It is a conundrum. We are short either a safety or a nickel back.
Another conundrum might turn out to be MLB vs. WR (if we can cobble enough money to sign Kendriks, we'd probably be out of the running dollar-wise for a high-profile wideout).

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agreed.

Guys like Bryce Williams, and Andrew Vollert are worth the potential they could have, but they are rookies, and undrafted rookies at that.

Marcedes Lewis is a nice vet that maybe could come in on a minimum deal, but I would not bank on that either.

It’s a small detail, but Bryce Williams is not a rookie. He came into the league in 2016.

In the three years he had at East Carolina University he was voted to the All-Conference team each year.

Both as a sophomore and a junior he was used primarily as a fullback, though he was a great receiving target in the red zone as he is a huge player with very good body control and is good at catching the ball at its highest point. He can catch it with defenders draped all over him. He is not very fast, so he is not a guy that can stretch the field, but on shorter routes he is a reliable target. It’s not that he is a bad blocker, it’s just that it is not his best skill. That said, he can be utilized in different ways.

It should also be noted that his best game as a senior was against the toughest opponent when East Carolina met Florida. I would almost say that he looked like a man amongst boys in that game.

I obviously don’t know why he wasn’t drafted, but one reason probably is that he was not impressive at either the Senior Bowl or the Combine. Truth be told, he was outright bad at both events.

In the NFL he has been with five different teams. The last one was the Panthers so Steve Wilks and many of the other coaches should know him quite well.

I don’t think his skillset is very far from that of Ricky Seals-Jones, who by some local reporters are being projected as a starter, though Williams is slower and probably a better blocker. I think it’s conceivable that Mike McCoy want to utilize that type of tight end in his offense.

I am not at all saying he will make the final roster. I am just saying that I wouldn’t sleep on him. In part because, as you are writing, the tight end room is not exactly looking great right now.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Questions abound.
Someone or two or three must be impressing them for this release to happen already. Let's hope thats the case.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson