Pre-Camp Roster Questions & Breakdown

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Say what you want, and be critical to that higher standard, I respect that out of Cardinals fans, but if you ask this fan, this was a pretty impressive offseason.

Will the moves result in the accumulation of talent that lets this current team compete, and maybe even grab a wildcard spot this year ?

We will see. A new system, and a new coach can produce different results out of players that have been on this roster since the old regime both good and bad, and the same can be said about players brought in, via the draft, and free agency. Again, we will see.

Yet, on paper? What more do you want out of your GM and front office ?

1. QB: Not really a question to start off with but.......

To go from nothing, literally nothing on the roster, going into the offseason, to keeping the status quo, where one can argue Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon is pretty close to the old combination of Carson Palmer & Drew Stanton. Oh yeah, then the draft happened and the Cardinals finally got a legit quarterback of the future in Josh Rosen. Keim, at lest as it stands today could be a wise guy about it and walk around the NFL events saying, "Why all the fuss about finding quarterbacks in this league, that was pretty easy!" On paper, this was as good an offseason of obtaining quarterback talent, as you are going to see.

2. RB: Currently five running backs on the roster.....technically four....uh, we good?

True, there is always a veteran you can pick up at any time. Right now, the Cardinals are relying on David Johnson, Chase Edmunds, DJ Foster, and TJ Logan. Elijiah Penny is technically a RB/FB/TE/ST. So, the question here is ........uh, we good ? It will be interesting to see how this plays out in camp.

3. WR: Can Brice Butler be a #3 WR, and play on the outside? Can Chad Williams produce anything?

Again, on paper, this looks OK. Butler looks the part of a player that can play on the outside at wide receiver. Big, fast, tall.....looks the part, but there is nothing in his past that says he will produce. Then there is a Chad Williams, a very raw rookie from last year, can he step up ? If the Christian Kirk hype is real, and Larry Fitzgerald can produce in the new system (this is no longer the Arians system that those older vets thrived in, remember), and either Williams, or Butler can produce then we are good here. Should also say JJ Nelson as your 5th wide receiver is a nice thing, and a good role for him. Yet, this position is the biggest boom or bust position. They can be good, or they could be horrendous.

4. TE: With Gresham hurt, who is going to play tight end ?

This is one of the few positions where I see some real competition that would result in a roster spot on the final 53, a spot on the active 45, and a chance to start on the field. Ricky Seals-Jones will have to build on last season and not regress. Then until Jermaine Gresham comes back, who ? There are a good number of tight ends on the roster, but a lot of question marks. Bryce Williams looks the part, but again, there is a reason he has not been out on a NFL football field on Sundays.

5. Defensive End Depth: ????

Benson Mayowa. I guess this guy is slated to rotate in with Chandler Jones, and Marcus Golden ? Jones and Golden are a fierce duo, at least in this fans opinion. But, then the depth seems to fall off a cliff. I cannot even tell you who I think has a shot here because.......well, there is really no one that looks like they will be able to handle this position. If one player makes the roster, and they use Olsen Pierre at defensive end here and there, I would not be surprised, but that is less than optimal. Definitely, still a few veterans out there, but ........yeah, not much here.

6. Linebackers: The weak link ?

Agreed, we are long past the days of Dick Butkus playing MLB in a 4-3. I like Josh Bynes, and I am happy he is on this roster. I would like to see him playing SILB for this roster, and have a stud MLB but that is not going to happen. Bynes is going to play MLB, Deone Bucannon is going to play WILB for 8+mil dollars this year, and Haason Reddick is going BACK to linebacker and playing SILB. After that....who? I am not a big fan of Reddick and Bucannon in a 4-3. Reddick because he is more of an athlete than a football player, and he didn't show much last year...even as a rookie. Bucannon? I have grown tired of him getting de-cleated in the run game. He allows for HUGE holes to open in the run game. Our defensive coordinator is an ex-linebackers coach, so is it up to him to coach up what we have, and what we have is not much. I am calling this group the weak link for this team this year.

7. Defensive backs: Marcus Williams a cornerback, a safety, or nickel back? Maybe all three ?

Well, if you are going to say that Tyrann Mathieu is not worth the salary he was going to get, and you supported letting him go, then much like this fan, you are going to have to live with Marcus Williams being your nickel back, or at least that is the plan right now. When Wilks talked about players who could possibly play the CB#2 position, before they traded for Jamar Taylor, he didn't mention Williams. Why? Well, I think the plan is that Williams plays the nickel back position, and a little bit of safety. He has done it in the past, and is the reason he was signed, IMHO. Does that put Brandon Williams' roster spot in jeopardy? I dunno, but he is definitely on the bubble. I think the forgotten man, Rudy Ford will stick for special teams purposes. I feel there are only two true safeties on the team, I would really like for a guy like Tre Boston to come in, but Wilks has worked with Boston before, so is that good or bad ? There is some veteran's out there to kick the tires on, but is it needed ? We will see. A lot of people are saying Wilks can coach up players in the secondary......well, maybe the plan is to find one out of what they have.

To add a little more to this topic, I am impressed with how the Cardinals re-vamped the cornerback position, the depth looks much better than season's past. While I like Tramon Williams better than Jamar Taylor (a trade I liked, BTW), and I am perfectly fine seeing what Marcus Williams can bring to the table as a replacement for Mathieu, it is Bene Benwikere, and Christian Campbell that I like in replacing Justin Bethel, and possibly Brandon Williams. One last thing, it is too bad that Tyvon Branch is just too injury plagued to make it in the NFL anymore. He would have been a nice asset this year.

Here is my roster breakdown:

1- Sam Bradford
2- Mike Glennon
3- Josh Rosen

4- David Johnson
5- Chase Edmunds ?
6- TJ Logan
7- DJ Foster?

8- Derrick Coleman

9- Larry Fitzgerald
10- Christian Kirk
11- Brice Butler
12- Chad Williams
13- JJ Nelson

14- Jermaine Gresham [Inj.]
15- Ricky Seals-Jones
16- ______________?
17- ______________?

18- DJ Humphries
19- Mike Iupati
20- AQ Shipley
21- Justin Pugh
22- Andre Smith
23- John Wetzel
24- Mason Cole
25- _________?
26- _________?

27- Cory Peters
28- Olsen Pierre
29- Robert Nkimdiche
30- _________?

31- Chandler Jones
32- Marcus Golden
33- __________?
34- __________?

35- Josh Bynes
36- Deone Bucannon
37- Haason Reddick
38- ________?
39- ________?
40- ________?

41- Patrick Peterson
42- Jamar Taylor
43- Marcus Williams
44- Bene Benwikere
45- Christian Campbell

46- Antoine Bethea
47- Budda Baker
48- __________?
49- Rudy Ford

50- Phil Dawson
51- Andy Lee
52- Aaron Brewer

53- [Roster Churning Spot]

Bubble Players:
- Elijiah Penny, HB/FB/TE/ST
- DJ Foster, HB
- Evan Boehm, C/G
- Will Holden, T/G
- Korey Cunningham, T
- Rodney Gunter, DT
- Brandon Williams, CB
- Phil Dawson, K

That would be 11 spots that seem to be wide open for the up coming training camp, and 3 of those spots would be on the active 45 come game day.

Call it a rebuild, or a retool, this is a new regime, and the window from the last group has shut. Now it is time to work on opening a new window, and with a player like Josh Rosen on the roster, the potential and hope that comes from that move, well, it is full of excitement toward the future. If it all works out, we could have something here for a decade or more.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Forgot DT Rodney Gunter

I think Nkimdiche can play DE and DT

Unsure about TEs

Hoping our LBs step up. They will have speed.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rugby, thanks. The only position I feel good about is QB. And, overall, the roster is thin with LB, the thinest of the thin. RB is okay, but I think that Penney will beat out Foster, as he doubles as RB and FB. Also, think that Boehm makes the team (OL), with one spot up for grabs. Early favorite is Holden over Cunningham. As BEERS pointed out, Gunter fits into #30. Hopefully, SK's next target is a TE or/and a safety. Bottom line, we're moving in the right direction, but work to be done before the start of TC.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gunter and Mayowa have spots locked up in my opinion.

I think bohem will make the team, he has just lost confidence. I hope Cunningham or someone else can beat out Holden, I am not a fan of his.

We need a Veteran te, safety, and lb, but not sure we have the cap space.

What we really need is some ufas to surprise which is why they brought so many in this year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The tigh end position concern me most
Gresham is out for some time and seal jones is a receiver with poor blocking skills
Other guys are just unproven players with almost zero experience
Probably they ll play more packages with an extra tackle and jones on the other side
Cunningham is pretty athletic and maybe can play this role

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Forgot DT Rodney Gunter

I think Nkimdiche can play DE and DT

Unsure about TEs

Hoping our LBs step up. They will have speed.

I do not think Rodney Gunter is going to be a sure thing. But, I did forget to list my bubble players:

Bubble Players:
- DJ Foster, HB
- Evan Boehm, C/G
- Will Holden, T/G
- Korey Cunningham, T
- Rodney Gunter, DT
- Brandon Williams, CB
- Phil Dawson, K

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The tigh end position concern me most
Gresham is out for some time and seal jones is a receiver with poor blocking skills
Other guys are just unproven players with almost zero experience

Agreed.

Guys like Bryce Williams, and Andrew Vollert are worth the potential they could have, but they are rookies, and undrafted rookies at that.

Marcedes Lewis is a nice vet that maybe could come in on a minimum deal, but I would not bank on that either.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not think Rodney Gunter is going to be a sure thing. But, I did forget to list my bubble players:

Bubble Players:
- DJ Foster, HB
- Evan Boehm, C/G
- Will Holden, T/G
- Korey Cunningham, T
- Rodney Gunter, DT
- Brandon Williams, CB
- Phil Dawson, K

I think you can pencil in:
- Benson Mayowa DE
- Rodney Gunter, DT
- Evan Boehm, C/G
- Will Holden, T/G
- Brandon Williams, CB
- Phil Dawson, K

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Very good team assessment Rugby. I think Keim will be picking up a few more vet players before the season starts. We are just too thin at linebacker, TE and wide receiver right now. I can also see us picking up another tackle if one becomes available.

I’m really looking forward to watching our draft picks play. I’m hoping that Mason Cole can win the starting center spot. I’m also hoping he can show that he can play guard as well. If Iupati gets hurt we will need someone to step up.

On defense I’m hoping Nkemdiche really steps up this year. Him and Reddick need to produce like first rounders.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There are a few TE free agents still out there that we might be able to bring in on 1 year prove-it deals.

Antonio Gates (UFA, 37 years old)
Julius Thomas (Released, 29)
Marcedes Lewis (Released, 34)
Brent Celek (Released, 33)
Anthony Fasano (UFA, 34)
Zach Miller (UFA, 33)

Ifeanyi Momah is still out there too, he always flashes a little & then gets injured though.

There's a lot more on the free agent list too. http://www.fftoday.com/nfl/freeagents.php?o=1&PosID=40

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
There are a few TE free agents still out there that we might be able to bring in on 1 year prove-it deals.

Antonio Gates (UFA, 37 years old)
Julius Thomas (Released, 29)
Marcedes Lewis (Released, 34)
Brent Celek (Released, 33)
Anthony Fasano (UFA, 34)
Zach Miller (UFA, 33)

Ifeanyi Momah is still out there too, he always flashes a little & then gets injured though.

There's a lot more on the free agent list too. http://www.fftoday.com/nfl/freeagents.php?o=1&PosID=40

Julius Thomas, IMO would be the only prove it guy out there. The others are older and will just be working 1 year deals, wherever they can find them, until retirement. Thomas is young enough for a 1 year prove it, and then maybe one more 3 year deal, putting him at 33-34 years old at it's completion.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Julius Thomas, IMO would be the only prove it guy out there. The others are older and will just be working 1 year deals, wherever they can find them, until retirement. Thomas is young enough for a 1 year prove it, and then maybe one more 3 year deal, putting him at 33-34 years old at it's completion.

Julius Thomas is done. What I have read/heard is his foot injury never healed right and he lost all his explosiveness and speed. The guy cannot block either so he is pretty much done.

Same goes for Zach Miller.

Bent Celek woult be interesting tho.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
If his leg actually works, I would be quite happy to see him on he roster again, and playing in a limited snap role.

Not me! Operative word is works. Based on his injury history, I’d say he’s going to be “limited” anyways. Hard pass. Pay Tre Boston!!!

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
what happens if Bradford has a great, healthy year (4500 yards 30 TDs 12 picks)? You can't expect to throw Rosen in next year, and Bradford is on a 2 year deal, isn't he?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
what happens if Bradford has a great, healthy year (4500 yards 30 TDs 12 picks)? You can't expect to throw Rosen in next year, and Bradford is on a 2 year deal, isn't he?

Listen to trade offers and hope Bradford okays the deal.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
you can absolutely throw Rosen in next year if he is ready.

the chefs just did exactly that didnt they?? when they traded alex smith?

we could also have Bradford riding the pine behind Rosen next year...just in case...

lots of options... the best ones all involve Rosen being our starter sooner rather than later regardless of how well Bradford plays.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Yeah, chips fell as
Julius Thomas is done. What I have read/heard is his foot injury never healed right and he lost all his explosiveness and speed. The guy cannot block either so he is pretty much done.

Same goes for Zach Miller.

Bent Celek woult be interesting tho.
Celek or Lewis can both still play. Do they want to come in on a 1 yr. deal is the question I guess.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
we could also have Bradford riding the pine behind Rosen next year...just in case...

lots of options... the best ones all involve Rosen being our starter sooner rather than later regardless of how well Bradford plays.
Yeah, more likely sooner then later. I expect to see him in there this year at some point. All of next hopefully.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

then Cards are in the same situation as the Chiefs were this offseason

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
7. Defensive backs: Marcus Williams a cornerback, a safety, or nickel back? Maybe all three ?

Well, if you are going to say that Tyrann Mathieu is not worth the salary he was going to get, and you supported letting him go, then much like this fan, you are going to have to live with Marcus Williams being your nickel back, or at least that is the plan right now. When Wilks talked about players who could possibly play the CB#2 position, before they traded for Jamar Taylor, he didn't mention Williams. Why? Well, I think the plan is that Williams plays the nickel back position, and a little bit of safety. He has done it in the past, and is the reason he was signed, IMHO. Does that put Brandon Williams' roster spot in jeopardy? I dunno, but he is definitely on the bubble. I think the forgotten man, Rudy Ford will stick for special teams purposes. I feel there are only two true safeties on the team, I would really like for a guy like Tre Boston to come in, but Wilks has worked with Boston before, so is that good or bad ? There is some veteran's out there to kick the tires on, but is it needed ? We will see. A lot of people are saying Wilks can coach up players in the secondary......well, maybe the plan is to find one out of what they have.

He is none of them apparently. Since he was released today.

First thing that comes to mind, is .... who is playing nickel?

Things brings some attention back to Brandon Williams' place on the team as well.

Maybe they are going to sign a safety, or cornerback, or just think Wilks is going to be able to coach up what he has?

Questions abound.