Possible Replacement for Amare?

Reaction score
Anyone think a barbosa/clark package could fetch Landry or West? Neither would be ideal replacements but could be available in the trade market.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone think a barbosa/clark package could fetch Landry or West? Neither would be ideal replacements but could be available in the trade market.

West might work out but Landry is a big drop off from Amare. Actually, West at times has played very well but I think he struggles against length also. He's nowhere near the athlete Amare is either.

Steve

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Might not be as hard as you think either if we play our cards right.

I'd love to hear your plan for doing this.

That's not true. The trade looked completely lopsided at the time, but Marc Gasol turns out is a pretty good NBA center. Memphis got decent value considering today's NBA where everyone is broke.

The only saving grace of the trade is that Marc Gasol, so highly regarded that he was the 48th pick in the draft, has actually turned into a decent prospect. The rest of the trade was an absolute farce, and that's not hindsight, everyone was up in arms about it at the time.

Considering Gasol was an unknown 2nd rounder at the time, the trade was still ridiculously lopsided, and West could surely have gotten better value for Gasol. An inside job at it's finest.

There's no uncertainty in the West. The Lakers will be better than us on paper for the next 2-3 years and OKC is poised to make the jump. Other than that, nobody knows until free agency shakes out.

I expect the Lakers will be better, but who knows what happens if Phil leaves? Bynum is still a major question mark, and if Kobe doesn't do a teen wolf all series, we had a legitimate chance of beating them. I expect OKC to continue to improve, but other than that, I really believe most teams in the West including us have many question marks.

Leandro is very replaceable and he commands a decent chunk of change.
I think it's inevitable that he's gone this offseason. Nice guy, decent player, but doesn't fit our plans now or going forward when Dragic is going to get 30 minutes a night often playing with Nash on the floor. I think you'll see them find someone who only plays D and shoots three's to replace him.

I'll be interested to see what happens with ol Leandro. He does make 5 million next year, but I believe it's the last year of his deal. While I don't mind Dragic at the 2, I think we'll need at least a credible player to come in and spell J-Rich. Without a draft pick available, hopefully there will be a vet looking to play for a decent team that signs on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect the Lakers will be better, but who knows what happens if Phil leaves? Bynum is still a major question mark, and if Kobe doesn't do a teen wolf all series, we had a legitimate chance of beating them.

Phil ain't going anywhere, even with Bynum being a major question mark for three years it hasn't mattered as they've made the Finals in all three years whether he was on the sidelines or gimping around the court and it's time for everyone to realize something... Kobe IS teen-wolf at this point and probably will be for at least another 2 years.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Phil ain't going anywhere, even with Bynum being a major question mark for three years it hasn't mattered as they've made the Finals in all three years whether he was on the sidelines or gimping around the court and it's time for everyone to realize something... Kobe IS teen-wolf at this point and probably will be for at least another 2 years.

Yeah, I'm trying to talk myself into the Lakers falling apart. The air of superiority of their fans is intolerable, and we have another couple years to deal with it. They conveniently forget that before the gift wrapped Gasol, they were just another team in the west. Maybe we can have JC take over in Atlanta and trade us Horford for Dwayne Jones and Barbosa.:rolleyes:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm trying to talk myself into the Lakers falling apart. The air of superiority of their fans is intolerable, and we have another couple years to deal with it.

trust me, I live in LA and have to deal with it more than anyone. And I've tried talking myself into them falling apart but it's an exercise in futility. Even with injuries, they're just too damn deep.

My biggest hope? LeBron somehow swings a sign and trade with Dallas and then he and Dirk can knock them out for the next couple years of Kobe's prime. Otherwise, I just don't see who the hell's gonna beat them for the next couple.

cly2tw

Reaction score
trust me, I live in LA and have to deal with it more than anyone. And I've tried talking myself into them falling apart but it's an exercise in futility. Even with injuries, they're just too damn deep.

My biggest hope? LeBron somehow swings a sign and trade with Dallas and then he and Dirk can knock them out for the next couple years of Kobe's prime. Otherwise, I just don't see who the hell's gonna beat them for the next couple.

Celtics will beat them in the finals.:D

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
Here is what I am thinking.
For next year we should be set at point with Nash and Dragic. 2 spop is occupied by JR. I believe he stays at least until the trade deadline when he will be a hot commodity due to his expiring contract and the fact that he is a pretty good player not some dead weight. Dragic, who I think will be a much bigger part of this team next year, can get some playing time at 2 as well. 3 is pretty much set with Dudley and Hill. Lopez at 5.
I think its imperative that we sign Frye. I dont think he regresses at all but becomes better with confidence and Gentry is perfect coach for that. He played pretty good against the spurs playing Duncan 1-1 most of the time. He is a pretty good rebounder, at least much better than Amare, and that really suprised me more than anything about him. He got some hustle in him.
So with Lopez and Frye at 5 we should be ok there.
Amare - have no clue what happens with him. I would love to get him signed just because there is nobody even close to him that we could get next year. maybe Dirk but even Nash thinks he will stay in Dallas. Boozer would be a good replacement and with him and other improved player, another year together, stronger Lopez and hopefully much improved Clark (to me he is still a cat in the bag have no idea what to think about him. He has size, can play d but looked lost and just looked like a rookie all season pretty much) we wont miss a beat. Bosh would be nice but I dont thinks its happening. Lee to me would be a mistake because he is just not a scorer, somebdoy that demands double teams and I think if we lose Amare and sign him Suns front office panicked. I hope they dont go after him. I would much rather sign Jermaine O'neal, or get PF from the magic (pplayed for Mavs last season cant remember his name) to give us some toughness inside, defense and rebounding. Any of them if given enough minutes with nash will average a double double. So if amare goes get somebody that can help for a year or two until new cba is in place. Dont handcuff yourself for next 5 years with somebody like Lee he does not put us over the hump.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to work out a theoretical Amar'e sign-and-trade to Indiana for Granger, Jeff Foster, and the 10th pick, but I couldn't make it work. Anyone else have a creative sign-and-trade in mind?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I tried to work out a theoretical Amar'e sign-and-trade to Indiana for Granger, Jeff Foster, and the 10th pick, but I couldn't make it work. Anyone else have a creative sign-and-trade in mind?

That would be a tough one to pull off. It would have to be for the rights of whoever the Pacers selected at 10 since the draft is before free agency. Plus Amare would actually have to want to go there which wouldn't seem likely.

It's unlikely a S&T will return much more than a large TPE and future picks but I'll play along. Amare to OKC for Ibaka, Collison and future pick. Trading Collison would leave Thunder enough to sign a guy like Haywood and Suns would still have a decent sized TPE to fetch another player.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Plus Amare would never want to go to Indiana. We'd have to come up with locations that:

A - would be attractive to Amare
B - would be at least somewhat of a contender
C - would have a combination of young talent/expiring contracts/draft picks

That's a tall order.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trade him and Barbosa to the Lakers for Bynum + Odom. :)

cly2tw

Reaction score

Why would Amare consent to such a deal? He will get the same money with a much better chance at winning with Miami, Nets, or even Bulls.

Trade him and Barbosa to the Lakers for Bynum + Odom. :)

Lakers would be stupid not to do it and even add 2 1st rounders to make it work. For all I know, Kobe creates much more space for teammates than Nash does, at least as of now. And aside from Amare, with TD declining, there is no other team that requires their front court to be that big for defense. Against Celtics, they'd rather need Amare's offense than Bynum/Odem's defense to pick apart the Celtics bigmen defense.

BTW, judging by their stats against Suns, players like Pargo and Blake all deserve to be all stars.:bang:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And how much better does the Suns become with Odom and Bynum?

Bynum can finish, not a front to the basket type like Amare but still he can finish.
Odom can finish and he is the mobile forward the Suns coveted (and had in Marion)

cly2tw

Reaction score
And how much better does the Suns become with Odom and Bynum?

Bynum can finish, not a front to the basket type like Amare but still he can finish.
Odom can finish and he is the mobile forward the Suns coveted (and had in Marion)

One and done, would be what Suns become with Bynum and Odom replacing Amare. None of these two attracts defensive attention the way Amare does, which in turn makes the aging Nash even less effective.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would Amare consent to such a deal? He will get the same money with a much better chance at winning with Miami, Nets, or even Bulls.

It would have to be a three-way, probably with the Knicks or the Nets, but matching Amar'e's salary is impossible. Granger doesn't make enough compared to his production.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If such a trade were available for Odom and Bynum, I'd try to move Odom elsewhere in maybe a three team trade. I just do not see Odom fitting with the Suns.

IMO, the likely destination for Amare is still Cleveland but I do not see how they can offer much in a sign and trade. New York may be a possible destinations for Amare because Amare may crave the bright lights. Aside from NY it may come down to the best winning team out there that can put together a package.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is starting to turn into the REALGM board. Lets be a little realistic here.

LOL I think it's funny that you say that, since you came from the ESPN boards, which are the worst on the internet.

You do have a point, however. :D

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
LOL I think it's funny that you say that, since you came from the ESPN boards, which are the worst on the internet.

You do have a point, however. :D

I dont understand why you always bring that up? Its literally been 5 or 6 years since I have even postededed on there. Although that place was a troll stomping ground Ive always try to keep my "trade this player for this guy" somewhat realistic. Now people agreeing with my trades is a totally different story;)

Besides there are plenty of guys that post here from that board.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard