Possible good news

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
we have been concerned with losing Allen and Murphy to FA. well Allen made the PFF top 50 free agents.. sounds bad but is actually good.

Spotrac evaluated Allen’s estimated market value based on similar players at two years, $12,684,800 for an average of $6,342,400, which would rank No. 35 in the league for a defensive end.

based on this valuation I think 5/35 should keep Allen. Maybe 5/40.... he only produced 5.5 sacks but he has improved every year. We should see improvements for another season or so before he levels out.
IMO, 7ish million a year is not a bad price to pay.... allen was 23 on the top 50, 6th among IDL so there shouldnt be fierce competition for him driving up the price. we just need to hope nobody calls and makes him a stupid offer.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
we have been concerned with losing Allen and Murphy to FA. well Allen made the PFF top 50 free agents.. sounds bad but is actually good.

Spotrac evaluated Allen’s estimated market value based on similar players at two years, $12,684,800 for an average of $6,342,400, which would rank No. 35 in the league for a defensive end.

based on this valuation I think 5/35 should keep Allen. Maybe 5/40.... he only produced 5.5 sacks but he has improved every year. We should see improvements for another season or so before he levels out.
IMO, 7ish million a year is not a bad price to pay.... allen was 23 on the top 50, 6th among IDL so there shouldnt be fierce competition for him driving up the price. we just need to hope nobody calls and makes him a stupid offer.
He'll be paid more than 5/40. Other than that, great plan!

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He'll be paid more than 5/40. Other than that, great plan!
With a market value of 6.3mil you think someone is going to offer him more than 8mil?
I mean, i can see an escalating contract thats valued at 7mil year one and 10mil or so year 5.... but 8mil average sounds about right

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
With a market value of 6.3mil you think someone is going to offer him more than 8mil?
Uh, unfortunately guys can be overpaid in FA from time to time. That's why good GM's recognize their talent early and lock them up before they become FA's!

All it takes is one Jacksonville, and your guy is gone.
I mean, i can see an escalating contract thats valued at 7mil year one and 10mil or so year 5.... but 8mil average sounds about right
We'll see - I think he gets closer to 10.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Uh, unfortunately guys can be overpaid in FA from time to time. That's why good GM's recognize their talent early and lock them up before they become FA's!

All it takes is one Jacksonville, and your guy is gone.

We'll see - I think he gets closer to 10.
I wouldn't surprised to see Allen get over $12 mil per.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Honestly, Monti kind of needs to re-sign both. If he can't pull off either signing, or manages one only to let another cornerstone of our defense walk, it won't be a great start. That may be an unrealistic expectation, but it would disappoint me right out of the gate. He's in an unforgiving spot, is our GM, a disaster not of his making, but he needs to work his way out of it.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I know right?? We need to keep both Murphy and Allen right here in Arizona. We can't continue to be some kind of developmental type team preparing top talent for other teams. It's one of those things I just don't understand, like why doesn't Anthony Davis have a endorsement deal with Caterpillar?!

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No way Allen gets that. The floor is $10m based on recent contracts.
That sportrac valuation is based on recent contracts for guys in his position with his level of play.
Based on recent contracts his market value is 6.3mil a year

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That sportrac valuation is based on recent contracts for guys in his position with his level of play.
We'll see how ol sportrac does in this case. I think you (and all of us) will be disappointed!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Then their algorithm is broke.

Look what Foley Fatukasi, DJ Reed and Sebastian Joseph Day got last year.

DTs you never heard of are getting $7m+ a year.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know right?? We need to keep both Murphy and Allen right here in Arizona. We can't continue to be some kind of developmental type team preparing top talent for other teams. It's one of those things I just don't understand, like why doesn't Anthony Davis have a endorsement deal with Caterpillar?!
Aren't Belichick and the Patriots used to do that year after year, either trading starters for high draft picks or letting them walk for 3rd round comp picks? It seemed to work fine for them.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My biggest concern with both players is they seem to be injured often. Haven’t looked at the numbers but it feels that way.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
My biggest concern with both players is they seem to be injured often. Haven’t looked at the numbers but it feels that way.

Murphy‘s injuries have held him back from being one of the most coveted defensive free agents. He has been injured for a good portion of his career so far. And, yes, Allen has been injured often too. One wonders if they strength and conditioning program has contributed to this. Along with no discipline from the FO

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Murphy‘s injuries have held him back from being one of the most coveted defensive free agents. He has been injured for a good portion of his career so far. And, yes, Allen has been injured often too. One wonders if they strength and conditioning program has contributed to this. Along with no discipline from the FO
I still don't feel like Murphy is really a premier CB. He's good enough, but his best play comes from the slot, roughly. He'll get a fine contract, but it's not like we're losing a top 5 CB if he goes. He was very overdrafted, IMO.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don't feel like Murphy is really a premier CB. He's good enough, but his best play comes from the slot, roughly. He'll get a fine contract, but it's not like we're losing a top 5 CB if he goes. He was very overdrafted, IMO.
Any cb on this club needs to have their grade bumped up a little with the crap pass rush we had.
Okay let Murphy walk. Who replaces him? If Murphy is going to be overpaid what do you think the guy rrplscing him is going to get? Or are we just going to replace him with a 6 th round draft pick?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Any cb on this club needs to have their grade bumped up a little with the crap pass rush we had.
Okay let Murphy walk. Who replaces him? If Murphy is going to be overpaid what do you think the guy rrplscing him is going to get? Or are we just going to replace him with a 6 th round draft pick?
I'll admit to not having watched film on him for every single play, so I could see someone on here who likes delving into film more than I do rebuking this thought... but we overdrafted the guy to be a slot CB and probably shouldn't overpay him to be a slot CB for us.

I know he's played a little bit more on the outside later into his young career, but I'm not convinced he deserves a ton of money, sorta in the same way Christian Kirk was pretty good but didn't deserve what he got from Jacksonville.

I'm fine with bringing him back, and would actually like to, but he's more like the kind of player that in years past I'd be looking at and go "he's an intriguing bargain that's young," instead of "surefire top contract guy," and I don't want to get into a bidding war over him.

If someone else wants to pay him $12M per to be their #1 CB, I'll take the comp pick instead.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose