Positivity thread: Best Cards free agent ever?

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd say it has to be Warner at #1, with maybe Bert Berry at #2. Dansby could be in the mix as he was a vocal leader for us, but we drafted him then signed him as a FA twice, so I'm not sure that counts.

Either way, we needed some positivity here this week. Good vibes and all. Warner and Berry ruled.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would have to be Kurt....He won you guys the Super Bowl, but the defense couldn't keep it.

Negative. Warner had the ball at the end and fumbled it to end our chances. Plus, he tossed that pick-six to end the first half. He did wonders for us, but was far from perfect.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
Negative. Warner had the ball at the end and fumbled it to end our chances. Plus, he tossed that pick-six to end the first half. He did wonders for us, but was far from perfect.
I remember him throwing a TD to Fitz, and then Big Ben throwing that TD in the end, and the score was final after that?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember him throwing a TD to Fitz, and then Big Ben throwing that TD in the end, and the score was final after that?

We got the ball back. Got it all the way to the Steelers' 44 yard line (the return plus two plays). Warner went back to attempt a Hail Mary pass with about 15 seconds remaining, got hit, and lost the football. Game over.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We got the ball back. Got it all the way to the Steelers' 44 yard line (the return plus two plays). Warner went back to attempt a Hail Mary pass with about 15 seconds remaining, got hit, and lost the football. Game over.

Never understood why the play wasn't reviewed. His hand was clearly moving forward. It was an extreme longshot that we would have completed a hail mary at the end, but with Fitz in his prime, you never know. Without a doubt, Warner was our best FA.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never understood why the play wasn't reviewed. His hand was clearly moving forward. It was an extreme longshot that we would have completed a hail mary at the end, but with Fitz in his prime, you never know. Without a doubt, Warner was our best FA.

It came out later that it had been reviewed.

Many viewers assumed that the play had not been reviewed for a possible incomplete pass, but NFL Head of Officiating Mike Pereira later explained that it actually was reviewed, unnoticed by the public: "We confirmed it was a fumble. The replay assistant in the replay booth saw it was clearly a fumble. The ball got knocked loose and was rolling in his hand before it started forward. He has to have total control."

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not for nothing but Pittsburgh should have been kicking off from the 20 because Holmes used the ball as a celebratory prop which was illegal at the time. If you remember, he used the ball mimicking LeBron James' pre-game routine. Also, I was told that when Warner was cranking back before the fumble that Fitz had gotten behind the secondary. So many fricken what if's in that game.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Boldin ran a bad route & Levi Clown got beat like a drum. Kurt’s fault? Not

We wouldn’t have even been in Tampa if not for #13 & #11 no ifs ands or buts.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Man this thread didn't stay positive long! Lots of bad memories.
I'll go with Kurt Warner as best FA.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Easily the best free agent pickup was either:

1. Jim Hart, an undrafted free agent QB out of the SIU-Carbondale Salukis. He played 18 years for the Cardinals with a record of 201-136 with 34,000+ passing yards.

2. Don "Air" Coryell. Somehow, Billy Bowtie let someone pry open his wallet and hire the guy who was already known for developing the "I" formation as a college coach. Coryell inherited a shitteh team in the ashes of skinflint Walter Wolfner and that probate battle. He turned them around in one season. Unfortunately, Billy Bowtie's wallet sprang back to form like a bear trap, and Coryell was fired. Moving to San Diego, he only invented the modern passing offense, hiring guys like Jim Mora (insert chuckle here) and Joe Gibbs. But his first years as a pro jock were with Los Cardinales. ;)

...and if you've never seen a Saluki, google it. Beautiful.