POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't he finally have that good season because Jones got hurt? Finally played Reddick in the right position out of necessity?
I don’t recall that but could be

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course you would have signed him, but he wasn't coming here. That's part of the point, elite coaches wouldn't come here and the choices may be better elsewhere.

You named coordinators would made it to the right level. That's a risk, we could totally do that sure, chances are coordinators don't make the leap.

Well we are also in need of a coach, so it's also about opportunity. Pederson would have been great, but we had a coach and now he's gone.

Payton was a coordinator that hit, as was McVay, and Shanny. Sure, if you can totally hit the coordinator hires and totally hit the 1st round picks, of course you do that. Like duh? You talk as if that's certainly. It's a higher chance of failure.
So what’s your point? You’re trading a 1st for Payton like a desperate franchise would do?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So what’s your point? You’re trading a 1st for Payton like a desperate franchise would do?

Desperation is your word. It's just cost of business.

Yeah, cause the "Cardinal" way has totally worked out so far. We just need to find a Kurt Warner and/or the next Payton/McVay. Ez pz.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Desperation is your word. It's just cost of business.

Yeah, cause the "Cardinal" way has totally worked out so far. We just need to find a Kurt Warner and the next Payton/McVay. Ez pz.
And that’s how bad franchises stay bad.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Ummm Reddick played like a star his last season here when he was finally put in his natural position. He was killing it. Most tackles behind the LOS in the league, FFs, sacks etc… he was a monster. Coaching matters sure but that guy clearly just needed to be played in the right spot.
Isn’t playing the guy in the right spot part of coaching? Pretty sure Steve Keim can’t force the staff’s hand on that one.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn’t playing the guy in the right spot part of coaching? Pretty sure Steve Keim can’t force the staff’s hand on that one.
FO can force their hand for sure they are still the boss. Most coaches wil take the pay check before openly defying orders from above im guessing. And it’s been widely said around here that’s what they believe occurred. He drafted a square peg to fit into a round hole.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
FO can force their hand for sure they are still the boss. Most coaches wil take the pay check before openly defying orders from above im guessing. And it’s been widely said around here that’s what they believe occurred. He drafted a square peg to fit into a round hole.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
But he can resign him knowing he can play well at the position.
I honestly don’t think Reddick wanted to stay here at any price after being played out of position, called garbage by the fans, and not getting his option picked up.

I agree with you that Keim drafted him to move him into a different spot, but not that he could maintain authority over where a guy is ultimately played.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True but would you take any orders from Keim?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think Reddick wanted to stay here at any price after being played out of position, called garbage by the fans, and not getting his option picked up.

I agree with you that Keim drafted him to move him into a different spot, but not that he could maintain authority over where a guy is ultimately played.
He can literally draft a guy and order the coach to make him your MLBer. What’s stopping him from doing that? I think you’re being a little naive.

He should have been tagged 100% and not given a chance. After that $$ talks.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True but would you take any orders from Keim?
Don’t know I’m not that DC and don’t know what position he’s in. Financially and more etc….

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But he can resign him knowing he can play well at the position.
The moment the season ended or even before, Keim should've started talks with Reddick, translation, Keim ain't that bright.

VJ got lucky with the Jones injury & had no choice but to put Reddick in that spot, for 3 seasons he wasn't smart enough to put him on the edge. Translation, VJ ain't that bright either.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He can literally draft a guy and order the coach to make him your MLBer. What’s stopping him from doing that? I think you’re being a little naive.

He should have been tagged 100% and not given a chance. After that $$ talks.
Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you about the initial position when drafted. But as a coach, one needs to push back on the GM when things clearly aren’t working. Obviously, in his last season, that happened.

I agree with you on the tag, too. But I feel like when you have the chance of picking up the option year, you have to take it, unless the player is obviously toxic or a complete bust.