POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ve watched Payton miss the playoffs with the Saints.

Wonder why?

Because they weren’t good rosters.

He has a strong record regardless, even with backup QB's. Some down years, and then rebounded. 2 players aren't going to turn a franchise, unless you can absolutely guarantee picks being a hit. You can't, and again you get picks every year. Good coaches are rarely, ever, available.

Wonder why?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has a strong record regardless, even with backup QB's. Some down years, and then rebounded. 2 players aren't going to turn a franchise, unless you can absolutely guarantee picks being a hit. You can't, and again you get picks every year. Good coaches are rarely, ever, available.

Wonder why?
Daboll is a good coach & he was just available last year.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Daboll is a good coach & he was just available last year.
Oh he's been a proven HC? How many years?

Some coordinators become decent HC's, and plenty of them don't. It's a risk, like drafting.

Not the same argument at all. That's like us giving picks for some coordinator, which would be a hard no.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or Reddick. Now that he’s playing for a good coach he’s having a big impact. That tells me coach is more important than MOST players.
Ummm Reddick played like a star his last season here when he was finally put in his natural position. He was killing it. Most tackles behind the LOS in the league, FFs, sacks etc… he was a monster. Coaching matters sure but that guy clearly just needed to be played in the right spot.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh he's been a proven HC? How many years?

Some coordinators become decent HC's, and plenty of them don't. It's a risk, like drafting.

Not the same argument at all. That's like us giving picks for some coordinator, which would be a hard no.
I’m not giving valuable compensation for a HC dude. Every HC in these conference title games didn’t require it & it hasn’t been required for any HC in the past 20 years. We should not be the first, at least, in a minute.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m not giving valuable compensation for a HC dude. Every HC in these conference titles didn’t require it & it hasn’t been required for any HC in the past 20 years. We should not be the first, at least, in a minute.
Actually pretty much all the coaches that required picks the last 2 decades won a superbowl with that team.

It may not require it, if you happen to land a star coordinator before you know what you have, just like a starting QB, sure of course that's better.

You wouldn't have traded picks for Reid?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually pretty much all the coaches that required picks the last 2 decades won a superbowl with that team.

It may not require it, if you happen to land a star coordinator before you know what you have,just like a starting QB.
1st round picks? That hasn’t happened since Gruden……20 years ago.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you could trade players for coaches, I would trade Simmons/Collins for Payton, especially Simmons.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1st round picks? That hasn’t happened since Gruden……20 years ago.
It means coaches were good enough to trade for, compensation may vary.

And since you replied before I edited, you wouldn't have traded picks for Reid? Rare chances an elite coach was on the market and AZ didn't even get an interview.

Arians worked out for a bit, he was a good coach, the best we had. Reid is better.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It means coaches were good enough to trade for, compensation may vary.

And since you replied before I edited, you wouldn't have traded picks for Reid? Rare chances an elite coach was on the market and AZ didn't even get an interview.
I’m clearly talking about 1st round picks. What other comp would I be talking about?

No, I would have just signed him.

Just like how the Chiefs signed him.

Just like how the Rams signed McVay.

Just like how the 49ers signed Shanny.

Just like how the Eagles/Jags signed Doug Pederson.

Just like how the Saints signed Payton.

Look at that? No steep compensation required for any of them.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Ummm Reddick played like a star his last season here when he was finally put in his natural position. He was killing it. Most tackles behind the LOS in the league, FFs, sacks etc… he was a monster. Coaching matters sure but that guy clearly just needed to be played in the right spot.
And who put him in the wrong spot? A bad coach

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And who put him in the wrong spot? A bad coach
Hard to say it’s been said around here for the entire time he was here that the FO wanted him at MLB and forced the staffs hand…. If it was JUST The coaching he wouldn’t have had the season he had in the last year here same crappy coaches.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m clearly talking about 1st round picks. What other comp would I be talking about?

No, I would have just signed him.

Just like how the Chiefs signed him.

Just like how the Rams signed McVay.

Just like how the 49ers signed Shanny.

Just like how the Eagles/Jags signed Doug Pederson.

Just like how the Saints signed Payton.

Look at that? No steep compensation required for any of them.
Of course you would have signed him, but he wasn't coming here. That's part of the point, elite coaches wouldn't come here and the choices may be better elsewhere.

You named coordinators would made it to the right level. That's a risk, we could totally do that sure, chances are coordinators don't make the leap.

Well we are also in need of a coach, so it's also about opportunity. Pederson would have been great, but we had a coach and now he's gone.

Payton was a coordinator that hit, as was McVay, and Shanny. Sure, if you can totally hit the coordinator hires and totally hit the 1st round picks, of course you do that. Like duh? You talk as if that's certainty. It's a higher chance of failure.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Hard to say it’s been said around here for the entire time he was here that the FO wanted him at MLB and forced the staffs hand…. If it was JUST The coaching he wouldn’t have had the season he had in the last year here same crappy coaches.
Didn't he finally have that good season because Jones got hurt? Finally played Reddick in the right position out of necessity?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose