POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
McVay, Carroll and Shanahan likely have it. Keim would never have given it up. If Monti won't, then Brian Flores is our guy.
-Captain Obvious
Yeah, that's good company to be in. Payton isn't some noob either. Hopefully Ossenfort is fine with it, but also hoping he still has some agency.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m not that guy but damn, some people act like they are at lunch/dinner. Payton wants!? Nobody but his lady knows what he wants . Stop saying it like that damn

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
including the draft?

honestly I could live with him having say over everything but the draft.
I agree too but maybe we are off because he probably had that same pull at Nola and they for the most part were great drafting... oh, ain't it cute how we are acting like we have already hired the guy lol

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He wants final say on players. He says he can’t guarantee a winning season without having that authority. That’s the sticking point right now. They are still talking nobody has walked away.
BA had pretty good influence on roster.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Payton needs to tell Monti what kind of player he wants for whatever position and Monti finds him 2-3 options to choose from, they review and target. Payton is very experienced and should have some input, hopefully Monti sticks to his vision of being a collaborative unit singing from the same sheet of music.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payton needs to tell Monti what kind of player he wants for whatever position and Monti finds him 2-3 options to choose from, they review and target. Payton is very experienced and should have some input, hopefully Monti sticks to his vision of being a collaborative unit singing from the same sheet of music.
Honestly it seems the most logical way to do things. I don’t like the idea of a GM dictating what player to draft or sign and saying to a coach , “ Here’s what I got you.”

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pallets are part of Michael's charity. He leaves them for the homeless to build shelters

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He wants final say on players. He says he can’t guarantee a winning season without having that authority. That’s the sticking point right now. They are still talking nobody has walked away.
Mike B and MooS have both talked about collaboration as the cardinal way... maybe Payton just needs to understand where exactly he fits in that.

Say im having a barbecue...everyone is counting on me because historically im great on the grill. I send my man to get me the very best 24oz boneless ribeyes he can find... so i continue my prep work, guests start arriving... finally my man is back from the store....

And he slaps down a bag of chuck steak or round steak...

I asked for boneless ribeye. He was free to choose trim level, marbling, select or choice...
He tries to tell me," well i figured for the investmen i could get twice as much...and your awesome with seasoning and grilling it just right. So you can make it work"
Ya see, thats right when i punch him in the mouth.

The cook should have say in his ingredients.
If payton tells MooS, i need a pass rusher...that dont mean a 6th round pick or a 10 year vet who has averaged 3 sacks a season.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think that is partly right, because with average mobility Kyler can still throw the ball with the best of them if, yup the big if or rather ifs, that he stops relying on his athletic scrambling to bail himself out and probably keeping him from being a student of the game... yeah, he is short but his problem is mainly mental and if anyone can ingrain that aspect into him and make him a pro QB, that's Sean Payton

Payton's assessment of KM's game is that too often, he's been asked to play 'Hero' ball, and he needs an offensive design that gives him easier layups. His system is certainly not all deep balls and dropbacks. Payton is an exceptional coach because of his ability to exploit a defence through patience and timing. He runs a host of offensive formations and shifts with different personnel to create mismatches. It's a glorified West Coast offence with many bells and whistles, but in the end, it relies on underneath routes and the running game to draw defences in before tearing them apart down the field. In interviews, it seems evident that he believes that KM has the tools to run this style of offence and can save the Hero stuff for when necessary.

While I'm in the camp of those who have suggested trading Dhop there's little doubt he fits perfectly in this type of offence as does Hollywood, Moore, Dortch, Ertz, and McBride. What's needed is a dynamic running back ala Alvin Kamara to complement Conner.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Payton may also go about building an OL that gives Kyler enough time so that he doesn’t have to use his scrambling ability to avoid ever collapsing pockets. Payton & MO are going to purge that roster like none of us has ever seen.

Pending Free Agency has already purged the lineup.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
My source has said the jobs Payton’s if he wants it. Otherwise it’s Flores like some have reported. No more interviews scheduled period.

I haven’t heard anything about total control like Snakester has stated. Could be a possibility or not.

I was told expect a decision/announcement either tomorrow or on Fox NFL Sunday.

Please oh please!!!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
My source has said the jobs Payton’s if he wants it. Otherwise it’s Flores like some have reported. No more interviews scheduled period.

I haven’t heard anything about total control like Snakester has stated. Could be a possibility or not.

Please oh please!!!
I'm guessing if it's not Payton it will be announced tomorrow (Flores)...if it's Payton they let him announce it on Sunday.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score

Please oh please!!!
You were keeping that quiet Brit! The only sauce I have is BBQ.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payton's assessment of KM's game is that too often, he's been asked to play 'Hero' ball, and he needs an offensive design that gives him easier layups. His system is certainly not all deep balls and dropbacks. Payton is an exceptional coach because of his ability to exploit a defence through patience and timing. He runs a host of offensive formations and shifts with different personnel to create mismatches. It's a glorified West Coast offence with many bells and whistles, but in the end, it relies on underneath routes and the running game to draw defences in before tearing them apart down the field. In interviews, it seems evident that he believes that KM has the tools to run this style of offence and can save the Hero stuff for when necessary.

While I'm in the camp of those who have suggested trading Dhop there's little doubt he fits perfectly in this type of offence as does Hollywood, Moore, Dortch, Ertz, and McBride. What's needed is a dynamic running back ala Alvin Kamara to complement Conner.
….and an offensive line.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Please oh please!!!
That’s great and all but what’s the compensation to NO…. It matters.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose