POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It certainly a risk but the flip side is that I can't think of a trade for a coach that didn't work out in the NFL. Gruden, Belicheck and Holmgreen all got their teams to the Super Bowl.
Arians too.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can someone catch me up to speed on how New Orleans affects SP’s next job? I understand they want compensation, but let’s say Denver is willing to offer a 1st rd pick, yet Payton doesn’t want to go to Denver, he wants to go to Houston, but they will only give up a 3rd rd pick.

In this scenario can the Saints effectively keep Payton from getting a job if they don’t like what Houston offers? Or does Payton have more control bc he can tell the Saints to “suck it up and deal with it” bc he doesn’t want to coach in Denver?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can someone catch me up to speed on how New Orleans affects SP’s next job? I understand they want compensation, but let’s say Denver is willing to offer a 1st rd pick, yet Payton doesn’t want to go to Denver, he wants to go to Houston, but they will only give up a 3rd rd pick.

In this scenario can the Saints effectively keep Payton from getting a job if they don’t like what Houston offers? Or does Payton have more control bc he can tell the Saints to “suck it up and deal with it” bc he doesn’t want to coach in Denver?
Every team agrees to compensation with New Orleans BEFORE Payton can talk to them. So they know what they’ll get if he says yes to any of them ahead of time.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We have 5 picks in the top-105 this year. Perfect chance to build the trenches!! We’re likely picking top-10 next year. Sorry Saints.
Yeah, this is difficult. Maybe if we're able to trade back... but right now, that can't exactly be done. It's a tough pill to swallow thinking that we're immediately kneecapping our new GM and HC who are inheriting a roster with little to no cheap, young, proven talent.

I'm not in love with the idea of moving DHop, but if we could send him and like, a 3rd to the Saints without other picks, I might be more open to it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Every team agrees to compensation with New Orleans BEFORE Payton can talk to them. So they know what they’ll get if he says yes to any of them ahead of time.
Not true.

"According to NFL Media's Ian Rapoport, Denver understands and agrees with the New Orleans' asking price of "a first-round pick and more." ESPN reports that the Broncos and Saints do not have to agree to trade compensation at this juncture. Those talks would happen later if the conversations between Denver and Payton go well."

Payton's got a lot of leverage in this situation, as he has a roughly $10 million per year contract with Fox, so it's not like he's hurting for cash. If the Saints really want to play hardball, they could end up with nothing, and Payton stays in LA to coach another year.

The difference between coach and player retirement is that coaching contracts still accrue years in retirement, so with his Saints contract, they only own his rights through the 2024 season, as opposed to like 3 more years like a Gronkowski had back in the day.

So, Payton can just say "alright, I'll think about coming back next year, or the year after that, when I can pick my own team at full strength, and you'll get nothing, Saints." In the meantime he can collect an extra $10-$20 million from a much easier broadcasting job.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen that put in concrete before. Where you seen that?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Never seen that put in concrete before. Where you seen that?
I vaguely remember K9 addressing that, but I feel like it was from a tweet that was pretty up to interpretation.

No compensation has been agreed upon for Sean Payton right now. It's simply not the case.

Not sure this is concrete, but it was reported that all 5 teams requested permission to speak with Sean, but only 3 were granted by the Saints, due to compensation.
At best, like a wide range, but Payton's only discussed and is interviewing with four teams. Us, the Panthers, Texans, and Broncos. Not sure where you got the other info. Obviously we're last in that whole process, but still.

Permission was granted for four teams from the Saints.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh.

It's in the Saints interest to leak all this stuff to the media to drive up expectations and have Orgs thinking it's a bidding war.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I think SP has a "handshake" deal with the Cardinals and is just making it look "on the up and up" by doing these other interviews. Come Friday it will be announced SP is our next head coach...that was my dream last night anyway....

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Payton comes here we are going to have to give up some draft choices.
He is going to sell himself as being able to turn this thing around and get Kyler back on track. He is not the Messiah and he is not the only person on earth that could get Kyler back on track. I actually think that’s more on Kyler.

Payton has shown the propensity to mortgage the future to put together his teams. I don’t think this is a way to “ build a foundation” to win year after year and I don’t think it’s what Bidwill and Ossenfort will go for.

Payton will “reject” us and people will blast the organization as being used for leverage. I actually think the Cardinals are using him for his insight of our situation. I just don’t see Payton’s vision is going to be in line with Bidwill.
He’s paying Kiem and Kingsbury so can you imagine paying Payton 20m + a year and failing?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If Payton comes here we are going to have to give up some draft choices.
He is going to sell himself as being able to turn this thing around and get Kyler back on track. He is not the Messiah and he is not the only person on earth that could get Kyler back on track. I actually think that’s more on Kyler.

Who is saying he is? I think the fact that Payton has shown in interviews what he'd actually do with Kyler means he's already thought about it and possibly has a plan to implement, plus he has a resume with an offense where a shorter QB can excel with passing lanes. Other HC's may be able to get the most out of Murray, but Payton actually has the pedigree to back it up, at this point. I do think from a leadership stand point, other HC candidates would be just fine and Kyler would respect them, but it makes me nervous thinking about who they'd actually have in Murray's ear, coaching him up.

Payton has shown the propensity to mortgage the future to put together his teams. I don’t think this is a way to “ build a foundation” to win year after year and I don’t think it’s what Bidwill and Ossenfort will go for.
Did Payton have full control over the roster? I thought it was Loomis???? This is a good article from SI: https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/25/sean-payton-stepping-away-saints-backup-plan

Here's the next to last paragraph: While the narrative will now become that Payton is leaving a burning building or that Brady is walking away from a house on a sinkhole, it’s not their fault. Someone could have said no. Someone could have demanded a longer commitment to match the administrative gymnastics they had to do on their own roster. Someone could have realized that the human spirit is fleeting and that the only constant in life is change.

Payton will “reject” us and people will blast the organization as being used for leverage. I actually think the Cardinals are using him for his insight of our situation. I just don’t see Payton’s vision is going to be in line with Bidwill.
This could very well be true. I just don't think Payton thinks poorly of the Bidwill's or the Cardinals, to do it deliberately. Mike just may say he can't afford him and have to walk away.

He’s paying Kiem and Kingsbury so can you imagine paying Payton 20m + a year and failing?

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Truth be told I would be just as happy with Reich. Payton had Brees, Reich had Luck his first year, then vets past their prime or had failed elsewhere and career backups like Brisset and Hoyer. In spite of that he has a winning record. Had Luck not retired I wonder what his record would be….

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is saying he is? I think the fact that Payton has shown in interviews what he'd actually do with Kyler means he's already thought about it and possibly has a plan to implement, plus he has a resume with an offense where a shorter QB can excel with passing lanes. Other HC's may be able to get the most out of Murray, but Payton actually has the pedigree to back it up, at this point. I do think from a leadership stand point, other HC candidates would be just fine and Kyler would respect them, but it makes me nervous thinking about who they'd actually have in Murray's ear, coaching him up.

Did Payton have full control over the roster? I thought it was Loomis???? This is a good article from SI: https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/25/sean-payton-stepping-away-saints-backup-plan

Here's the next to last paragraph: While the narrative will now become that Payton is leaving a burning building or that Brady is walking away from a house on a sinkhole, it’s not their fault. Someone could have said no. Someone could have demanded a longer commitment to match the administrative gymnastics they had to do on their own roster. Someone could have realized that the human spirit is fleeting and that the only constant in life is change.

This could very well be true. I just don't think Payton thinks poorly of the Bidwill's or the Cardinals, to do it deliberately. Mike just may say he can't afford him and have to walk away.
Come on Ron. There are more than a couple who look at Payton and the savior. I was one of them. I no longer think that.
As far as Payton being responsible do you think for one minute Payton would tell Loomis not to make a move to improve his team right now because of what it might mean two years down the road?
So yes it might not be his fault but he DID walk away.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Come on Ron. There are more than a couple who look at Payton and the savior. I was one of them. I no longer think that.
As far as Payton being responsible do you think for one minute Payton would tell Loomis not to make a move to improve his team right now because of what it might mean two years down the road?
So yes it might not be his fault but he DID walk away.
He walked away in the same way BA walked away...BA never really wanted another rookie QB to groom, unless they were absolutely elite.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He walked away in the same way BA walked away...BA never really wanted another rookie QB to groom, unless they were absolutely elite.
Totally agree. But Payton is considering coming here while losing draft picks, only 29 players signed and a Qb who is not going to be ready to play physically and perhaps mentally?

I will be shocked if he comes here. I think both parties are using each other. Payton to raise his bargaining power and the Cardinals to pick his brain and insight.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Don't be so sure SP doesn't deem RW the best qb situation to coach in. He has a good D too there. But KM might be his guy because of his age and recovery.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, it's not a in writing thing. However, the teams do have to agree that they are willing to give up compensation to get permission. It makes sense because why would NO waste their time with a team unwilling to give up something? So, they might get a "yes" but the actual compensation hasn't been negotiated yet.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
He is interviewing with the Cardinals. I'll be surprised if he takes the job, but over the moon if he does.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose