POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why Payton is the top of my list is because I think he can legitimately challenge Murray while also getting his buy in. He can walk in the Cardinals HQ and demand Murray to get better and Murray can't exactly say, "Meh. You're that loser who has been jocking for me since I was in high school."
When I hear Lincoln Riley say that no one he’s ever coached worked harder or was more prepared than Kyler Murray, the more I laugh at those that think he somehow needs to be challenged. After just one year of college, Murray had a lot to learn & Kingsbury dumped a system that required Kyler to be “Superman” for this team to have any semblance of success. I wish that last sentence came strictly from me. But, no, it came from Sean Payton.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I hear Lincoln Riley say that no one he’s ever coached worked harder or was more prepared than Kyler Murray, the more I laugh at those that think he somehow needs to be challenged. After just one year of college, Murray had a lot to learn & Kingsbury dumped a system that required Kyler to be “Superman” for this team to have any semblance of success. I wish that last sentence came strictly from me. But, no, it came from Sean Payton.
Well I guess if Lincoln Riley said it it must be true…. Smh

Every other glaring piece of evidence doesn’t matter now that we know Lincoln said this lol….

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Says the college coach.

The most prepared college QB is among the least prepared NFL QBs.

Murray was at his best when he played within the system and made plays when he had to.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would he say that if it wasn’t true? And why would Payton say what he said. And I personally know what an honest dude Ertz is & he has emphatically said that NO ONE knew the Cardinal playbook better than Murray. And he also capitalized NO ONE. The Murray nonsense on this board is just ridiculous. As great, good, average or whatever you want to call Murray, he’s still the BEST young QB in Cardinal history. And that won’t change for a long, long time.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Says the college coach.

The most prepared college QB is among the least prepared NFL QBs.

Murray was at his best when he played within the system and made plays when he had to.
Look, if we hire Payton & a year from now he reports back to Bidwill that Murray is a fraud, then I’ll be the first one to acquiesce & eat crow. Until then, he’s still the best young QB in Cardinal history & will have my support. And when he kicks butt under the tutelage of a real NFL HC, then I expect many on this board to do the same. Until then, this is a useless argument.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Look, if we hire Payton & a year from now he reports back to Bidwill that Murray is a fraud, then I’ll be the first one to acquiesce & eat crow. Until then, he’s still the best young QB in Cardinal history & will have my support. And when he kicks butt under the tutelage of a real NFL HC, then I expect many on this board to do the same. Until then, this is a useless argument.
If Payton takes the job it means he thinks he can make Kyler the top 8-10 QB he was in the first half of the 2021 season.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Every other glaring piece of evidence doesn’t matter now that we know Lincoln said this lol….

As opposed to anonymous naysayers and fans in the cheap seats?

Lincoln is on the record and has worked with him, and Payton is a keen professional observer that 90% of this board wants as the next H-C.

The latter certainly has more weight for me.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would he say that if it wasn’t true? And why would Payton say what he said. And I personally know what an honest dude Ertz is & he has emphatically said that NO ONE knew the Cardinal playbook better than Murray. And he also capitalized NO ONE. The Murray nonsense on this board is just ridiculous. As great, good, average or whatever you want to call Murray, he’s still the BEST young QB in Cardinal history. And that won’t change for a long, long time.
Coaches back their players all the time. It’s part of their promise when they ask them to come to their organization that they will get them to the NFL etc. Him cooing aLL over Kyler publicly shows new recruits he’s got his players backs etc…. Him saying it certainly doesn’t mean it’s true and “working hard” can mean in the weight room on the practice field etc…. Good lord you’re hopeless. The mountain of evidence that’s been presented/shown even by Kyler himself since he’s been in a cards uniform minus his time in the weight room says differently.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coaches back their players all the time. It’s part of their promise when they ask them to come to their organization that they will get them to the NFL etc. Him cooing aLL over Kyler publicly shows new recruits he’s got his players backs etc…. Him saying it certainly doesn’t mean it’s true and “working hard” can mean in the weight room on the practice field etc…. Good lord you’re hopeless. The mountain of evidence that’s been presented/shown even by Kyler himself since he’s been in a cards uniform minus his time in the weight room says differently.
The only mountain of evidence I have seen are all the Cardinal records he already owns as a 25 year old kid. OROY & 2 pro bowls in 4 years is impressive as hell. Just keep hating & you‘ll look even more foolish when he gets to play without being held back by Kingsbury, etc.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

So, if it's down to the Cards, the Donks, or Texans - does coming here seem farfetched? To me, not at all. Plenty of reasons for both Denver & Texas to NOT be desirable destinations, while coming here could give him exactly what he wants - if Bidwill is able to convince him that he's gonna turn over the football operation to him and whoever he (Payton) hand-picks as his pseudo-GM. If I'm Bidwill, at this point I'm willing to go the Eddie D route and agree to just get the hell out of the way and sign the checks.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amazing what an owner might do when his team goes 4-13 the year he’s hosting the Super Bowl. He’s embarrassed right now, he’ll be downright angry next month.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
So? What’s that got to do with the tweet?
That it happened more than decade ago and not relevant to the coaching search being conducted in 2023. Not going to come up in the interview lol

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That it happened more than decade ago and not relevant to the coaching search being conducted in 2023. Not going to come up in the interview lol
If I was an owner and I was interviewing him I would absolutely ask/talk to him about bounty gate…. Not as it relates to Warner specifically. But to make sure and reiterate that culture can’t be tolerated.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The only mountain of evidence I have seen are all the Cardinal records he already owns as a 25 year old kid. OROY & 2 pro bowls in 4 years is impressive as hell. Just keep hating & you‘ll look even more foolish when he gets to play without being held back by Kingsbury, etc.
All those accolades did him a helluva lot of good after he got his bag of loot and played like garbage. But, hey, it's all on Kliffy, amaright?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Jameis Winston owns lots of Buccaneers rookie records too. When it comes to the stories about Kyler's preparation, where there's smoke, there's fire. It's strange that you're willing to dismiss what's become a pretty national narrative about the guy based on reports from insiders that his preparation and leadership are lacking.

Natural ability fades, especially after an injury. He'll be 26 when the season starts, and likely 27 before he'll have a chance to play a full season at "full health" with a roster that's ready to win.

We're not being blind haters of the guy - but he hasn't proven anything yet, and you'd like to pretend he's arrived based on the miserable history of the franchise. Compare his performance to other teams, not our abysmal past.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

So, if it's down to the Cards, the Donks, or Texans - does coming here seem farfetched? To me, not at all. Plenty of reasons for both Denver & Texas to NOT be desirable destinations, while coming here could give him exactly what he wants - if Bidwill is able to convince him that he's gonna turn over the football operation to him and whoever he (Payton) hand-picks as his pseudo-GM. If I'm Bidwill, at this point I'm willing to go the Eddie D route and agree to just get the hell out of the way and sign the checks.
I think there's a great possibility of him coming here. The Broncos' lack of picks is a real concern, along with Wilson's struggles this year, and his age. Statistically, he's right around the period that many QBs hit a huge cliff, and he's in the top 5-10 oldest starting QBs in the league depending on how the offseason shakes out. Outside of purely chasing the cash, I don't see the Broncos as the right destination, although he's interviewing there first, and I've seen a few reports pushing his interest.

Now, the Texans went from a "not a chance in hell" in my mind to a team that actually has a chance to land him. If (as rumor would have it) he's willing to go to Dallas, moving to Houston isn't that insane. They have ample cap space, could tell him they're willing to get to pick #1 to get his choice of this year's rookie QB, seemingly have a running back, and there's a chance to build from the ground up. They have the assets to appease the Saints. But, they've fired coaches on a one and done level in the past two years, and QB is just going to be that huge question mark.

That brings us to the Cardinals - where I think if Kyler hadn't ended the year with his ACL tear, we'd be the leaders. We have to question if KM is going to get back to his previous form, and now character concerns and a bloated contract are holding us back. Payton would probably have to view 2023 as a bit of a bust, but 2024 as a year to really go for it.

Very intriguing. I like us and the Texans as 1a and 1b, in no order.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If Payton takes the job it means he thinks he can make Kyler the top 8-10 QB he was in the first half of the 2021 season.

All those accolades did him a helluva lot of good after he got his bag of loot and played like garbage. But, hey, it's all on Kliffy, amaright?
He actually posted a 97 passer rating and 58 QBR when he had Deandre Hopkins. Chargers game was the only one he had Hopkins and Brown (before tearing his knee) and posted his best QBR of the season by far. There were signs he could turn it around before the knee injury.
Jameis Winston owns lots of Buccaneers rookie records too. When it comes to the stories about Kyler's preparation, where there's smoke, there's fire. It's strange that you're willing to dismiss what's become a pretty national narrative about the guy based on reports from insiders that his preparation and leadership are lacking.

Natural ability fades, especially after an injury. He'll be 26 when the season starts, and likely 27 before he'll have a chance to play a full season at "full health" with a roster that's ready to win.

We're not being blind haters of the guy - but he hasn't proven anything yet, and you'd like to pretend he's arrived based on the miserable history of the franchise. Compare his performance to other teams, not our abysmal past.
This is why getting Sean Payton would be perfect because we could finally get some real answers.

While Kyler has done himself no favors in how he carries himself. I will say if Payton comes and the results are what Pac expects then there certainly needs to be the same energy the other way. Because it'll put these 1st 4 years with a clear perspective. Was he a player that held himself and the Cardinals back. Or it was the managment/staff that did more holding back than him. Cause the maturation issues arent as big of an issue when there is a high-quality organization and high-quality HC.

No excuses once there is a topflight coach/management in place.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard