Playoffs: Suns @ Clippers Saturday game thread 4-22-2023 - Game 4

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we better move up the tip off before people around here start flailing themselves off of tall buildings.

:biglaugh:

With that said, I totally acknowledge that this is not the best Suns team of all time and has its challenges and weak spots, no doubt about it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that everyone got the rehashing of the Durant trade out of their system in the other game day thread. It doesn't need to be beaten to death in every thread.

It's kind of like those horror films where the fictional villain never dies.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me, this Suns team does not even look like they are trying that hard yet. They look like they are still trying to figure one another out, especially on D.

Boy, I would love to have Cam Payne healthy. And man, it would have been nice to somehow keep Cam Johnson out of that trade. Having those two come off the bench would make a world of difference. Well, one can happen, and one can't.

They haven't figured each other out on both ends with all the changes. Insert KD back into the line up since he missed the last two games. Insert Craig over Okogie even though Okogie had been starting for a while now. Stop playing Ross. Start playing Shamet (who knows why). Lee appears in the game out of no where. Payne is still injured.

Its still quite a mess out there with the added pressure of the playoffs as well making it seem like whichever unit is out there has no room for errors.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree with most of what you say here, except that Bazley deserves a look. No he doesn't. Not even a little one.

Yeah, he was totally lost on both ends everytime he played. He shouldn't see the court in a playoff game unless the outcome is decided.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
To me, this Suns team does not even look like they are trying that hard yet. They look like they are still trying to figure one another out, especially on D.

Boy, I would love to have Cam Payne healthy. And man, it would have been nice to somehow keep Cam Johnson out of that trade. Having those two come off the bench would make a world of difference. Well, one can happen, and one can't.
I'm hoping for a Warriors style get better as the playoffs go on culminating in a title. Let's hope Payne is able to join the fun and help take us to the next level.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No update on Kawhi Leonard.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have been particularly posting about that; but if people aren't finished discussing a subject and can do it without trolling or flaming, are you going to tell them they can't?

Go read the temperature of the forum post. I will direct them to where that subject is relevant. Rehashing the same arguments across multiple threads isn't allowed.

I am done explaining myself as a moderator here.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I feel in an uncomfortable position. I'm not particularly happy at the way this particular Suns team works, and I haven't been for some time; but I have to convince myself they will win despite that.

I hope the Suns eliminate the Clippers, then the Nuggets, then the Warriors or Kings and then reach the finals. At the same time, they're simply not the most inspiring Suns team ever to me. There is at least one other group I was more proud of (no, not the 1993 Finals team). I have felt disturbed by how much defense and toughness they lost just by letting JaVale McGee and Jae Crowder go, and how they didn't replace it.

I also question the wisdom of their offensive strategy: of course I mean midrange shot, midrange shot, midrange shot. Almost all the starters are great midrange shooters, but just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. I always used to hear that the midrange shot is the most difficult, with the lowest probability of scoring. And by acquiring Kevin Durant and T.J. Warren (another midrange expert), they doubled down on it. Great. If the midrange shots go cold, they aren't prolific enough behind the line, and simply don't have anyone who's great at going to the basket. (And if they did, they would probably encourage that player to waste his gift by shooting from midrange.)

I believe the Suns will win the West unless a starter gets injured, but I expect them to lose the finals again. The Celtics and Bucks are tougher than any of the Suns' competitors, and I don't trust the Suns' strategy of endless midrange shots to beat them. Especially not the Bucks.

Basketball nowadays is much more analytical than ever. A lot of coaches see it as math. Being able to outscore a team either via outrebounding (2nd chance points), committing less turnovers, or averaging more PPP by shooting either threes or shots at the rim (to get fouled for FTs).

The Suns are predominantly a midrange team and we hit them at a high rate but ideally we need to either get to the line or get more three point opportunities. I’d like for us to get to 30 attempts from three or more.

But we’re top 10 in defensive efficiency which helps us whenever we have those offensive droughts.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Basketball nowadays is much more analytical than ever. A lot of coaches see it as math. Being able to outscore a team either via outrebounding (2nd chance points), committing less turnovers, or averaging more PPP by shooting either threes or shots at the rim (to get fouled for FTs).

The Suns are predominantly a midrange team and we hit them at a high rate but ideally we need to either get to the line or get more three point opportunities. I’d like for us to get to 30 attempts from three or more.

But we’re top 10 in defensive efficiency which helps us whenever we have those offensive droughts.
The Suns are a great mid-range team, but their wins usually come when their threes are falling.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They haven't figured each other out on both ends with all the changes. Insert KD back into the line up since he missed the last two games. Insert Craig over Okogie even though Okogie had been starting for a while now. Stop playing Ross. Start playing Shamet (who knows why). Lee appears in the game out of no where. Payne is still injured.

Its still quite a mess out there with the added pressure of the playoffs as well making it seem like whichever unit is out there has no room for errors.
Looks to me like Craig over Okogie was the right move.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't see CP3 at the shootaround, hopefully he is doing a darkness retreat, being prayed upon by Franciscan Priests, being subjected to alien healing lazers, a Vulcan mind meld, or whatever the hell works to get him right before game 4! But stay away from Jake Plummer and his fungi treatments!

That's my guy!

Go Suns!!!

:koolaid: :suns:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t see what the big confusion seems to be we have played 11 games with Durant in the lineup, did you all expect a championship looking team already? 10-1 is pretty damn good for a bunch of guys they haven’t played together that much with a coach trying out different damn lineups every night. Just continue to win and gel and it will look better and better! Career game from Clippers Powell and terrible D from Ayton made that game much closer than it really was imo. Even westbrick was hitting 3s that’s the only thing that kept them in the game was knocking down 3s. We just need to stay healthy and the talent in this team can get it done if they play well. Ayton and CP3 being two that need to get their crap together!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Suns can't even get a probable for Cam Payne.

I don't understand why the Suns front office has refused to recognize point guard depth as an issue for the past two seasons.

It's like the Suns injury report. It keeps repeating.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose