Playoffs: Suns @ Clippers Saturday game thread 4-22-2023 - Game 4

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will take winning any way we can but this does start to suck a little fun out of things.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns can't even get a probable for Cam Payne.

I don't understand why the Suns front office has refused to recognize point guard depth as an issue for the past two seasons.

It's like the Suns injury report. It keeps repeating.
Dude… I agree with you but you’ve been beating this dead horse to the point that you’ve ground it in ash and dirt.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The injury report comes out before every game.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't buy that Kawhi hurt his knee in game 1. He didn't have anything on his leg in game 2, seemed totally fine.

Either his "bone on bone" issues in his knee flared up or he hurt it in practice.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of now, Booker and Durant are one of the best 1-2 combos in the playoffs. Booker is top 10 in ten different categories. Durant is top 10 in eight different categories.

NBA Playoff Leaders:
Points (Total): Booker #1, Durant #4
Points (Per Game): Booker #1, Durant #10
FG%: Booker #1, Durant #10
3P%: Craig #3, Booker #23
FT (Per Game): Durant #1, Booker #8
FTA (Per Game): Durant #1, Booker #8
Steals (Per Game): Booker #5, Paul #19
Steals (Total): Booker #2, Paul #6
Blocks (Per Game): Biyombo #11, Booker #12, Durant #18
Blocks (Total): Biyombo #4, Booker #5, Durant #10
Reb (Per Game): Ayton #10
Reb (Totals): Ayton #4, Durant #16
Assists (Per Game): Paul #3, Durant #10, Booker #20
Assists (Totals): Paul #2, Durant #6, Booker #10
EFG%: Booker #3, Durant #15

Fun Fact. There has been only 3 players in NBA history to score 105 or more points in the first 3 games of a playoff series while shooting at least 60%.

- Jordan
- Barkley
- Booker

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
With the minutes the big 3 have played...... this game is an absolute must win IMO. We need to get this done in 5 if possible.

Especially since the Nuggets series may be over on Sunday.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I feel in an uncomfortable position. I'm not particularly happy at the way this particular Suns team works, and I haven't been for some time; but I have to convince myself they will win despite that.

I hope the Suns eliminate the Clippers, then the Nuggets, then the Warriors or Kings and then reach the finals. At the same time, they're simply not the most inspiring Suns team ever to me. There is at least one other group I was more proud of (no, not the 1993 Finals team). I have felt disturbed by how much defense and toughness they lost just by letting JaVale McGee and Jae Crowder go, and how they didn't replace it.

I also question the wisdom of their offensive strategy: of course I mean midrange shot, midrange shot, midrange shot. Almost all the starters are great midrange shooters, but just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. I always used to hear that the midrange shot is the most difficult, with the lowest probability of scoring. And by acquiring Kevin Durant and T.J. Warren (another midrange expert), they doubled down on it. Great. If the midrange shots go cold, they aren't prolific enough behind the line, and simply don't have anyone who's great at going to the basket. (And if they did, they would probably encourage that player to waste his gift by shooting from midrange.)

I believe the Suns will win the West unless a starter gets injured, but I expect them to lose the finals again. The Celtics and Bucks are tougher than any of the Suns' competitors, and I don't trust the Suns' strategy of endless midrange shots to beat them. Especially not the Bucks.
I know the modern NBA is about the three. I grew up watching NBA in 60's, 70's, etc. The midrange was a normal part of the game back then. Games I remember were way over 100 points routinely. I do agree with you on the Celtics and Bucks. However, I think it's more about those teams physicality. I think we can score, and it's partly more about us not stopping them as successfully as they can stop us with their physicality. Booker and Durant will have to be red hot to win the series.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t see what the big confusion seems to be we have played 11 games with Durant in the lineup, did you all expect a championship looking team already? 10-1 is pretty damn good for a bunch of guys they haven’t played together that much with a coach trying out different damn lineups every night. Just continue to win and gel and it will look better and better! Career game from Clippers Powell and terrible D from Ayton made that game much closer than it really was imo. Even westbrick was hitting 3s that’s the only thing that kept them in the game was knocking down 3s. We just need to stay healthy and the talent in this team can get it done if they play well. Ayton and CP3 being two that need to get their crap together!
It’s not really, we really haven’t played anyone good, with the possible exception of the playoff clippers

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't buy that Kawhi hurt his knee in game 1. He didn't have anything on his leg in game 2, seemed totally fine.

Either his "bone on bone" issues in his knee flared up or he hurt it in practice.
im really starting to believe it is the bone on bone type issue. It just makes more sense, and explains the entire load management thing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the overwhelming majority of the board is with you as far as the offense looking pretty rough. There’s really not much flow or much play design so far in these games.
It feels like we start out every game with one or two high screens only to go to an ultimate iso. We change who has the iso, but there doesn’t seem to be any scheme to open anyone up. And we always seem rusty outta the gate so our starts to games are kinda putrid. I feel like that’s a monty staple.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kawhi is out again so we just need to care of business go up 3-1 then finish this off a home.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns have to find a way to get more from their bench.

Let's hope the Suns get Payne back. If healthy, he should be able to give the Suns some productive minutes off the bench.

Okogie provides instant energy and plays defense.

Biz is solid if unspectacular as a backup center. They need to find Landale some minutes because he can contribute in spots.

Damion Lee can shoot the three so the Suns should explore using him more. Bench scoring is much needed.

The way it looks now, the Suns are not getting anything from Shamet, Warren and Wainright.

IMO, players that deserve another look are Ross and Bazley.
Bazley?!? That guy is NOWHERE NEAR READY FOR PRIMETIME.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Man if I were a clips fan I’d be so bummed. One or both of their big guys is always injured. And they’ve built a terrific roster around them. You put that roster around book and KD and they’re winning it all. Kind of an indictment of JJs team building if you ask me.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This whole Leonard business, I just wish they would be honest about his condition. I get gamesmanship but if he’s done for the series I wish they would disclose that.

I think he’s done for the series. No contact or no signs of it hurting in games 1 and 2, then all of sudden he’s going to miss 3 and 4? It’s more serious than they’re leading it to be.

Embiid, the sixers, announced Embiid would be out and what happened and when it happened.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Man if I were a clips fan I’d be so bummed. One or both of their big guys is always injured. And they’ve built a terrific roster around them. You put that roster around book and KD and they’re winning it all. Kind of an indictment of JJs team building if you ask me.
To be fair, they had a damn good roster around Book and Paul the last couple years and just couldn't get over the hump in the finals. They had to trade some of the players that made that roster really good to get KD.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave