Playoffs: Nuggets @ Suns Thursday game thread 5-11-2023 - Game 6

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Take off your purple shaded glasses for just a minute and try to think. You have this mythical opinion of Monty as if he can do no wrong and it makes no sense at all.
We lost. Teams lose. Especially on the road against higher seeded teams in the playoffs when our starting PG is out with injury. Losses literally happen to every team in the NBA and Playoffs. Monty isn't perfect, never said he was, I'm just not going to overreact like a child in a grocery store every time we lose a lead or game. It's ridiculous. Especially after we just tied up the series after being down 0-2. Denver responded, now it's our turn

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton and the Suns will find a way to get him out of Phoenix. I can’t see a situation in which this is resolved any other way. Neither party wants him in Phoenix anymore

As for Monty, who knows. He just signed an extension that doesn’t expire until 2026. This could go either way. My hope is that Ishbia is still on his high after purchasing the team that he’ll throw money at the situation and get him out of here
Ayton is gone, don't have a clue what we can get for him. And hopefully we promote Monty into the head of player development role or something similar.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We lost. Teams lose. Especially on the road against higher seeded teams in the playoffs when our starting PG is out with injury. Losses literally happen to every team in the NBA and Playoffs. Monty isn't perfect, never said he was, I'm just not going to overreact like a child in a grocery store every time we lose a lead or game. It's ridiculous. Especially after we just tied up the series after being down 0-2. Denver responded, now it's our turn
I think you are missing the point. Nobody is on Monty just because he lost a game. Not a person here expects the Suns to go undefeated in the playoffs. People are on Monty because he keeps displaying the same mistakes playoffs after playoffs.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think you are missing the point. Nobody is on Monty just because he lost a game. Not a person here expects the Suns to go undefeated in the playoffs. People are on Monty because he keeps displaying the same mistakes playoffs after playoffs.
You can think whatever you want

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what this means. I am simply explaining to you people are not complaining about Monty because of a loss.
I think we're at the point where we blame everything on Monty and that's probably a huge overreaction on our part. Still, there have been concerns about his coaching since his first year here that haven't gone away. And for some of us, there were concerns about him even before we hired him. And for me at least, those concerns haven't gone away.

He may not be the problem we're making him out to be but we need a coach that finds solutions and I don't think that's Monty. But if we do keep him, at a minimum, we need to improve his staff.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can think whatever you want
You just complained about people acting like children but your response is childish. You seem to hold grudges which isn't childish at all. :rolleyes: Come on man. People disagree here all the time but get over it. I was simply explaining to you that some of us who have pointed out Monty's tendencies have seen a repeat performance and it's not about one loss.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we're at the point where we blame everything on Monty and that's probably a huge overreaction on our part. Still, there have been concerns about his coaching since his first year here that haven't gone away. And for some of us, there were concerns about him even before we hired him. And for me at least, those concerns haven't gone away.

He may not be the problem we're making him out to be but we need a coach that finds solutions and I don't think that's Monty. But if we do keep him, at a minimum, we need to improve his staff.
Yep, that is all I am saying as well. Certain things Monty keeps doing year after year.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welpers everything on the line now or time for a fishing trip :((

Need good gms by da not gonna happen. . Kd and dbook

Always faithful goooo suns

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a thoroughly intellectual response!
Suns fans here disagree all the time and it even gets heated sometimes. Most of us get over it without holding childish grudges. It's just conversation and we all want the same thing. Go Suns.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

I would be happy moving on from both Jones and Monty. After flameout endings three consecutive years (potentially), I think we have all seen the limitations of Monty's coaching prowess in the playoffs when the chips are down.

But yeah, I'm not putting all the blame solely on Monty. James Jones has done virtually nothing to help the Suns cause by spending most of his time here picking through the waiver wire of the Chinese Basketball Association for guys to fill out the roster, while equally neglecting the draft. It seems to me Jones has tried to be too smart by half, relying on finding his (and Monty's) very specific "type" of players, while often neglecting the team's actual needs.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Suns might win this game, but I have to say I am really not sure it matters, because I don't think they can win in Denver.
It matters. I don't want to lose on my home turf and have them celebrate here. F that! They can party in their own house. Also, I want to see Denver earn it. We win game six, and they tighten just a bit...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be happy moving on from both Jones and Monty. After flameout endings three consecutive years (potentially), I think we have all seen the limitations of Monty's coaching prowess in the playoffs when the chips are down.

But yeah, I'm not putting all the blame solely on Monty. James Jones has done virtually nothing to help the Suns cause by spending most of his time here picking through the waiver wire of the Chinese Basketball Association for guys to fill out the roster, while equally neglecting the draft. It seems to me Jones has tried to be too smart by half, relying on finding his (and Monty's) very specific "type" of players, while often neglecting the team's actual needs.
I think the above is how the majority of fans feel but for some you can't mention Monty without someone manipulating what is being said. No it's not about 1 playoff run, 1 loss or anything like that. James Jones stood pat and stated several times something like they were "going to run it back" or some variation. That is not Monty's fault and nobody is saying it is. My gosh @Mainstreet, myself and others have been shouting to the rooftops for the past few seasons to shore up PG/PF.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the above is how the majority of fans feel but for some you can't mention Monty without someone manipulating what is being said. No it's not about 1 playoff run, 1 loss or anything like that. James Jones stood pat and stated several times something like they were "going to run it back" or some variation. That is not Monty's fault and nobody is saying it is. My gosh @Mainstreet, myself and others have been shouting to the rooftops for the past few seasons to shore up PG/PF.

If the Suns move on from Monty, James Jones should be at the front of the list to go.

No matter what one thinks of Monty, he has only three players to work with at the moment: Devin Booker, a subpar Ayton and a subpar Durant.

The rest of the roster is worthy of a the 13th-15 spots, the G-League team or playing in Europe.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns move on from Monty, James Jones should be at the front of the list to go.

No matter what one thinks of Monty, he has only three players to work with at the moment: Devin Booker, a subpar Ayton and a subpar Durant.

The rest of the roster is worthy of a the 13th-15 spots, the G-League team or playing in Europe.
I am OK moving on from both of them in a package deal. Typically, new GM's want to bring in their guy. We just better have better options in the wings. Also, the standards we have for Durant are so insanely high. A "subpar" Durant is still better than the vast majority of guys in the playoffs right now. That's what you get for being a Superstar.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am OK moving on from both of them in a package deal. Typically, new GM's want to bring in their guy. We just better have better options in the wings. Also, the standards we have for Durant are so insanely high. A "subpar" Durant is still better than the vast majority of guys in the playoffs right now. That's what you get for being a Superstar.

Hopefully the Suns can bring in a GM who believes in the draft and scouting.

The Durant we are seeing now, is not a superstar. Maybe with more playing time, he can reach that level again. I sincerely hope so. This is the most we can hope for.

I still believe Cam Johnson, Mikal Bridges, a replacement for Jae Crowder, a third point guard and Dario Saric is better than what the Suns have on the court now.

Plus they still would have all four of their unprotected first round picks or if they traded one it would be protected.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson