Playoffs - It ain't over...

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
I think the Saints will handle the Panthers on December 22. So for now, we have to become the biggest J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets fans in the country when they play Carolina this week.

Barf.
I hate being in New York and being stuck with BOTH Giants and Jets games taking away time from better matchups. At least I have reason to watch the Jets this week.

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure why everyone keeps saying that we HAVE to win out.

If the Cards win out to go 11-5, they need EITHER one of the following:

a. SF loses at least one of the other two games (besides losing to the Cards)

OR

b. Panthers lose two of the last three (Jets, Saints, at Falcons).

None of the other teams matter. Dallas and Philly play each other so one of them will have 6 losses or more and everyone else already has 6 losses.

Even if we win out, we still need someone to lose 2 out of 3. But, that also comes into play even if we finish 10-6.

If the Cards win 2 of 3 to go 10-6, they could get in with EITHER of the following:

a. SF loses all 3 of their remaining games to be 9-7. Cards and Panthers are in.

b. Carolina loses 2 of 3 to finish 10-6 along with the Cards and loses head to head tiebreaker. SF just can't be 10-6 as well. So losing 0, 1, or 2 of their remaining 3 is OK.

That still leaves some of the other teams in the mix. But someone has to win the North and the East. GB can do no better than 9-6-1. The Bears would just have to lose once more. Either Philly or Dallas would have to lose twice more since they are both at 5 losses right now. One of them is guaranteed a loss in their head to head. They both have to play GB and Chicago yet (Dallas tonight of course) and the Cowboys also have to play GB. In the end, I don't think there will be a wild card from any of this group.

The bottom line is that the Cards need to be at least 10-6 and then get a lot of help. It won't be easy to get the two wins since at least one will have to be SF or Seattle.

SF losing all three is unlikely.

If it's going to happen it would probably be Carolina losing again to the Saints and then in the pressure of week 17 a Falcons team with nothing to lose and wanting to show some pride beating the Panthers to at least end their horrid season on a positive note at home.

It's still a long shot either way, but that's how it COULD happen.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown.

There's still a chance, but we need lots of help.

Sad that we could finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs, but would be in if we were in the AFC

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Ok, Cards win out, and Carolina lose to the New Orleans again. All 3 teams finish 11-5. I agree that SFO would be Wild Card team #1.

But, after SFO gets the first wild card, they are removed from teams that are tied then the "procedure is repeated", but now it's only a 2 team tie between CAR and Arizona, so the 1st tie breaker is head to and and we win and are Wild Card team #2.

Am I right or wrong on my rules?

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, Cards win out, and Carolina lose to the New Orleans again. All 3 teams finish 11-5. I agree that SFO would be Wild Card team #1.

But, after SFO gets the first wild card, they are removed from teams that are tied then the "procedure is repeated", but now it's only a 2 team tie between CAR and Arizona, so the 1st tie breaker is head to and and we win and are Wild Card team #2.

Am I right or wrong on my rules?

SF beats us out on division record, but then LOSES to Carolina based on head to head since Panthers won. So Carolina gets 1st wild card not SF.

Then it resets and SF beats us out again for wild card #2.

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown.

There's still a chance, but we need lots of help.

Sad that we could finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs, but would be in if we were in the AFC

Even sadder is that we could be 11-5 and still miss out. It happened to NE once too a few years ago.

Even so, I would be thrilled to have a season of either 11-5 or 10-6.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Even sadder is that we could be 11-5 and still miss out. It happened to NE once too a few years ago.

Even so, I would be thrilled to have a season of either 11-5 or 10-6.

But those 8-9 win AFC playoff teams would draft after us, right?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
But those 8-9 win AFC playoff teams would draft after us, right?

I'm not sure that is correct. I thought all playoff teams draft after the non playoff teams. If the draft was based solely on record then the Giants should have drafted a lot earlier than 32 since they went into the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record. So should have every other SB winner in the last 5 years.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
On the bright side, the Jets have beaten both New England and New Orleans this season, so why not the 49ers?

Tampa has won 4 of their last 5.

Atlanta has played improved ball the last 2 weeks.

I dont think one upset in these 4 games is all that unlikely.

Bottom line: The Jets win next week, we control our destiny.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If the team goes 10-6 this year I can't complain at all even if they don't make the playoffs. Best record in how long???? Major change over in the roster and a first year coaching staff with new schemes. We were not expected to win more than 5 games. We are in playoff contention with 3 games to go. Already have 8 wins. 10 wins is not out of the question. Just think about it double digit wins. With a good draft and a decent FA period this team will only get better for next year.

I dare say we should be considered among the elite teams next year. Definitely a top ten team. When can we say that has happened before??? Only 8 teams in the NFL have a better record than us at this point. I feel this is just the beginning of something that will only get better as we move forward. A 11-12 win season is very possible next year. The Whiners and Hags can no longer take this team lightly. If they do they are in for a rude awakening.

2009 team was 10-6. Counting playoffs 2008 team won 12 and 2009 won 11.

The difference is that almost no one expected the Cards to do this well this year.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Here is the crazy thing:

If AZ, SF, and CAR all finish 11-5 then AZ is the odd team out. However, if by some miracle-- SEA, AZ, SF, and CAR all finish 11-5 then CAR is the odd team out and SF would win the division.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Here is the crazy thing:

If AZ, SF, and CAR all finish 11-5 then AZ is the odd team out. However, if by some miracle-- SEA, AZ, SF, and CAR all finish 11-5 then CAR is the odd team out and SF would win the division.

Care to explain that? Because I would think we would still be the odd man out. Looking at the tiebreakers it looks like we would be tied with Seattle until it came down to conference record and theirs would be better by 1 game.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
SF beats us out on division record, but then LOSES to Carolina based on head to head since Panthers won. So Carolina gets 1st wild card not SF.

Then it resets and SF beats us out again for wild card #2.

Really? Even though head to head among the three we would be 2-1, Carolina 1-1 and SF 1-2? That seems wrong. In any case, Go Jets! Go Bucs! Go Falcons! Go Saints! CBR!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Really? Even though head to head among the three we would be 2-1, Carolina 1-1 and SF 1-2? That seems wrong. In any case, Go Jets! Go Bucs! Go Falcons! Go Saints! CBR!

Yes because in a 3 team tie with more than one from the same division the first step would be to use division tie breakers. We would be eliminated because SF would have the better division record.

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Care to explain that? Because I would think we would still be the odd man out. Looking at the tiebreakers it looks like we would be tied with Seattle until it came down to conference record and theirs would be better by 1 game.

I think it's because you apply the division tiebreakers first. If SF, Seattle, and AZ are all 11-5, it appears that the best division record would be SF.

Then, to decide the wildcard it is Seattle, AZ, and Carolina. Seattle beats us out on division record so they get compared to Carolina. Unlike SF, Seattle beat Carolina, so they get wild card #1.

Then it's down to Cards vs. Panthers and the head to head applies so Cards get wild card #2.

Crazy! Almost no chance that it happens, but crazy.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
If the season ended today, we would have played every single NFC playoff team once. So even though the middle of our season was against soft opponents, we in no way had a cakewalk to 8-8.

Our record against NFC playoff teams is 2-and-4. If you throw in the AFC teams (Colts) we are 3-and-4 overall. This is a good team, trying to find a way to beat the great teams.

And we still have 2 more monumental tests to go (SF and SEA).

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Not to be greedy, but why not clinch after Week 16 instead of 17?

Cardinals win next two. . . 10-5
Panthers lose next two. . . 9-6
49ers WIN at least one of next two. . . 10-5 or 11-4
Either DAL or PHI lose at least one of next two.
Either CHI or DET lose at least one of next two.

The SF win is necessary to prevent the 3-way tie between ARI/SF/CRL.
A loss by either DAL or PHI ensures the EAST runner-up cannot be 10-6.
A loss by either CHI or DET does the same in the NORTH.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Niners win today hurt, but long story short, we can still decide our own fate on the field.

We'll be favored next week against the Titans, if we take care of business we're still very much in it with just 2 weeks left.

Of course we will be underdogs against the Seahawks and SF but they want be playing the same old Cards they previously faced. I give us a chance to win these games. Just a chance but a lot better one than early in the year. Of course we have to win this week and you cannot rule out any one including TN. Here we are with only three games left and still in the hunt. Never never thought we would be here as the year began. A lot of players stepped up this year. Also the new coaching staff added the finishing touches.