Playoffs 2010: Western Conf Semifinals, Game 1 – Spurs At Suns Game Thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Nash can't defend Parker, Manu or Jefferson. I predict alot of rotation defense in game 2. Something tells me the Suns might use a bit more zone.

He can guard Parker if Lopez makes a miraculous comeback.

Oh man, what I wouldn't give to see us face this team at full strength just once. I really hate to play the injury card but it just seems this is the one opponent we're destined to never play against when healthy.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I would rather let Jefferson try to win the game for Spurs then Parker.

I think I agree. If I had a choice, I would pick Jefferson. Tony can be a great distributer when he needs to be. I think if you let Tony have a field day then we are in trouble. Jefferson is either going to shoot and make them or shoot and miss them. He isn't going to do much passing.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree. I would rather let Jefferson try to win the game for Spurs then Parker.

I also agree, but there is a risk with that one. If Jefferson gets going, the Suns are gonna be in trouble. Jefferson is to Spurs what Richardson is to Suns.
Phoenix is tough to beat when Richardson is on, and I am afraid San Antonio is going to be even more difficult to beat if Jefferson gets going.
If Suns go that route, they will need to attack Jefferson on the other side on every possession.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can guard Parker if Lopez makes a miraculous comeback.

Oh man, what I wouldn't give to see us face this team at full strength just once. I really hate to play the injury card but it just seems this is the one opponent we're destined to never play against when healthy.

Steve

I think I agree with this. Parker would be less heistant and so would Manu with Lopez back there. Without Lopez this feels like the old Suns to the Spurs where they can drive the lane anytime they want.....and they did.

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It goes both ways, Parker is not as good defensively as Bowen either, it did be interesting to see who he guards while on the floor.. The Suns will adjust. This win is huge for me because Duncan's production slides after game 1 last series because not enough rest. If the Suns can only eke out next win against this team until Lopez returns.........

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the SUNS should try to make up for Parker's offensive damage elsewhere....like our bench vs their bench. If Parker starts(which we all agree that he will) then that puts George Hill in a bench role along with guys like Blair,Bonner,Mason....yuck right?
We need to get either Dragic,Barbs or Duds going offensively off the bench so we can absolutely bury them.

How long can Pops' bench survive w/out either a Tony Parker or Ginobli on it?

I don't see a way around letting Parker go off on Nash....

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Starting Parker will not help the Spurs.

He can't guard Nash either and starting the game Nash will be fresh ready to pick him apart too. When Parker starts he won't be in the game against our bench that can't guard him either and can't protect the rim well.

Starting Parker won't make a real difference.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Jefferson is either going to shoot and make them or shoot and miss them. He isn't going to do much passing.
Or going to drive to the basket scoring and picking up 1's that Parker does on a regular basis on us.

cly2tw

Reaction score

He can't guard Nash either and starting the game Nash will be fresh ready to pick him apart too. When Parker starts he won't be in the game against our bench that can't guard him either and can't protect the rim well.

True. It's only so much potential within their big 3. As long as we play disciplined defense and not let their scrubs other than the big 3 get hot, like we used to have the tendency to in giving Mason the title of Suns killer for example, we should be fine. That's why Pop was experimenting with Mason and Bogans in the 2nd half who he has not used much lately.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Tonights game was a tale of two halves basically. When Pops started Parker in the 2nd half the Sterns came alive. I have enough non-bias common sense in Popovich to know that when he makes a switch like that, its likely going to be a positive one for his team.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

No... but the reason is to make Nash work defensively so he is not as much free flowing offensively like he was today at the beginnng of the game against Hill.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It goes both ways, Parker is not as good defensively as Bowen either, it did be interesting to see who he guards while on the floor.. The Suns will adjust. This win is huge for me because Duncan's production slides after game 1 last series because not enough rest. If the Suns can only eke out next win against this team until Lopez returns.........

Does this mean Lopez was reported to be coming back for game 3?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No... but the reason is to make Nash work defensively so he is not as much free flowing offensively like he was today at the beginnng of the game against Hill.

Nash is old it was obvious he wasn't going to keep up playing like he did in the first half. He has not been able to do that in any game this year in the playoffs.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
They will bring him back for game three. They have done that before, waiting for a road game to bring a player back from injury.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Too many breakdowns and easy baskets for the Spurs tonight.

Suns need to focus on keeping Parker out of the paint.
You can't continue to let him turn the corner and get to the rim.

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this mean Lopez was reported to be coming back for game 3?

Well if we win next game then the pressure is really on them and it is a given we will lose game 3 but if Lopez returns by game 4, maybe we can steal one in SA. I do believe this series will go the whole way.
Lets hope he returns soon

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I loved Richard Jefferson when he was at UofA, but let's face it, he and George Hill were the worst players out there. I'd stick Nash on him and make him beat us. All he does is camp out at 18 feet near the baseline and NOBODY on the Spurs even attempted to pass him the ball.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many breakdowns and easy baskets for the Spurs tonight.

Suns need to focus on keeping Parker out of the paint.
You can't continue to let him turn the corner and get to the rim.

The Suns have never been able to keep Parker or Manu out of the paint. The one player we drafted to help with that is sitting out in Lopez. Seriously, unless Lopez comes back I don't see it happening. We are going to have to simply outplay them every single night.

If we had Lopez, I think the Suns win tonight by 15 simply because we would not have probably given up all those layups. I swear this team never gets a break when it comes to playing injury free against the Spurs.

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will bring him back for game three. They have done that before, waiting for a road game to bring a player back from injury.

You are correct and i remember Lopez saying he actually liked how he returned on the road after his last injury, but this is the playoffs. If he can play i will be surprised if they hold him out.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Tonights game was a tale of two halves basically. When Pops started Parker in the 2nd half the Sterns came alive. I have enough non-bias common sense in Popovich to know that when he makes a switch like that, its likely going to be a positive one for his team.

Still, as well as they played the second half, the Spurs only played them basically even up.

Hold the Spurs to their average offensive output and the Suns should win every game by 10+

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The big 3 went off and we still beat them. No matter how negative people want to be about letting them catch up or whatever, it's a solid and good win that we can build on. San Antonio isn't the only team that can make adjustments.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
You are correct and i remember Lopez saying he actually liked how he returned on the road after his last injury, but this is the playoffs. If he can play i will be surprised if they hold him out.
Lopez said today he is not ready yet but expects to play sometime during this series. I guess its his conditioning primarily.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great game by Nash, J Rich, and Amare he needs to keep hitting the boards! We gave up some easy baskets in the paint and their was some bad calls that kept them in the game. The charge by Amare late in the game was a ridiculous call. Anyway we showed up and won a big game even with our bench playing badly. Jared Collins continues to be a total waste of space can't even foul people hard, Gentry needs to tell him to use his damn fouls especially with Duncans' pathetic FT shooting. The and 1's have got to stop! Knock Manu and Parker on their asses a few times and they will think twice about going to the hole everytime. All in all a solid win in a important game is a great sign as we usually don't show up for these games and on TNT no less!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave