Playoffs 2010: Western Conf Semifinals, Game 1 – Spurs At Suns Game Thread

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
The Suns have never been able to keep Parker or Manu out of the paint. The one player we drafted to help with that is sitting out in Lopez. Seriously, unless Lopez comes back I don't see it happening. We are going to have to simply outplay them every single night.

If we had Lopez, I think the Suns win tonight by 15 simply because we would not have probably given up all those layups. I swear this team never gets a break when it comes to playing injury free against the Spurs.

They need a long perimeter defender (like Grant Hill) to guard Parker.

Having players give the weak 'show and recover' isn't going to cut it. They have to trap and rotate or use someone long enough to play back and still have the reach to challenge the jumper.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Wednesday the Suns better have the same gritty gutty attitude. The Spurs are not going to lay down for us, it might take 6 to 7 games. I want the Suns to put a hurting on them in the next game. And get some hard fouls on Parker (clean hard fouls). He'll remember that the next time he's limping towards the hoop.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am really encouraged because our bench played like crap pretty much and we still beat them. I mean 2 threes off the bench from Frye and nothing else, Goran, Dudley both did not play well nor Barbosa. I think they play better next game and we win by 10+ !

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting Parker will not help the Spurs.

He can't guard Nash either and starting the game Nash will be fresh ready to pick him apart too. When Parker starts he won't be in the game against our bench that can't guard him either and can't protect the rim well.

Starting Parker won't make a real difference.

you've got to be kidding me. If Parker starts this game, a) there's no way we run out to a 14 point lead and Nash doesn't have NEAR the energy at the end of the game because he got to basically do nothing on D most of the game. Making the Spurs play catch up was huge all game long.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I am really encouraged because our bench played like crap pretty much and we still beat them. I mean 2 threes off the bench from Frye and nothing else, Goran, Dudley both did not play well nor Barbosa. I think they play better next game and we win by 10+ !
Barbosa never plays well against Sterns, ever... but, I was expecting better overall bench play. Let's hope they show up Wed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big 3 went off and we still beat them. No matter how negative people want to be about letting them catch up or whatever, it's a solid and good win that we can build on. San Antonio isn't the only team that can make adjustments.

Their big 3 definitely played well, but our Big 3 went NUTS. And sure we can make adjustments, they can just make bigger ones IMO.

That being said, it was a GREAT win and I am eagerly looking forward to Game 2.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you've got to be kidding me. If Parker starts this game, a) there's no way we run out to a 14 point lead and Nash doesn't have NEAR the energy at the end of the game because he got to basically do nothing on D most of the game. Making the Spurs play catch up was huge all game long.
As it was Nash did very little in the 4th quarter aside from trying to blow the game. :p :(

Bong

Registered
Reaction score
The refs did all they could to help the Spers get back in the game but even that wasn't enough. Had the game been officiated fairly Suns clobber them by 25+.

Suns in 4 and every game is won by a margin of at least 20.

GorrilaLips

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome win for the suns. The next game is big, and next after that...over in SA, Huge!

We needed this, but adjustments from the master tactician himself is not going to make game 2 easier. I expect Parker to be starting and Richard Jefferson to be a bigger role. The big 3 are going to explode; TD being the weaker of the 3; just as Nash won't be soo hot and having that many points as game 1...fatigue and oldmanitis will set in. Oh well, it hits with TD as well....so hopefully we could capitalize on this.

I hope Rolo will be back soon....Collins is just pathetic and it's like that every single game. But, we have won with him....he's just the foul buffer anyway.

What Pops is going to need to design? How to trap Nash and force him into TOs; stop JayRich, perimeter guard 3 bombs - starters and secondary - Amare in the paint, Hill opening up and making jumpers...it's going to be a lot to think about for him.
We had some help from SA themselves. The fact TD will be weaker and his FT% is horrible....hopefully this retains for the rest of the series as he gets to that FT line a lot. Also, their bench depth was lacking in all areas forcing more minutes from their big 3. Man, we need an answer to the quick slashing on the inside points from Ginobli and Parker.

I think what surprised many outside the SA and Suns realm and watching on...is the fact that the suns are getting more rebounds than SA and the crazy thing is, defense was huge. More for Pops to think about.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh please. So you can draw a charge when you are at a 45 degree angle. Nice.

Yeah, I've never heard about that before, either.

They made the comment that if they catch the ball in the paint, you can draw a charge, but the replay CLEARLY showed that Amare's right foot was down when he caught the ball and it was 6 feet away from the box. How they called that a charge was beyond me.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was actually a good game for Barbosa, considering it's the Spurs and playoffs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The refs did all they could to help the Spers get back in the game but even that wasn't enough. Had the game been officiated fairly Suns clobber them by 25+.

At least we don't have to ask you where your name came from.

Honestly, no insult intended here but are you in any way serious?

Steve

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Theycould design all the defensive plays but in the end they have no big man to stop Amare and the pick and roll will lead to good scoring plays. The Trailblazers had mobile big men who gave Amare fits on the offensive end. Amare can blow by Duncan for a layup/dunk or get a foul. I think the Suns actually made the mistake of going away from Amare in certain key possession where they could have went for the jugular. I know the Suns love to run and gun but when your up by a good amount of points, rather than taking bad low percentage shots dump it in to Amare and increase the lead. Like we've talked about before, when Amare is going right he will either make a tough shot inside or get the foul. It's more than likely the play will turn in favor of the Suns. I thought Amare was on last night and he could have done a lot more damage if Nash didn't decide to become a scorer.

We thought the great Popovich (indeed he is great I respect his coaching ability) would have an idea to lockdown the Suns in the second half. The Suns still broke apart their defense and scored for 110 points.

The Suns can give up points and play a running game if that is what Parker wants to do but they will lose because the Suns play enough defense now that they will outscore you in a run and gun (as long as they make the shots which come easy for them anyway). In Game 1, it wasn't the Spurs defense that hurt Phoenix. The Suns were comfortably ahead until we took up some stupid shots that lead to quick transition points. (Jrich reverse layup, Dragic 3 that missed). Also at that point in the game the referees weren't giving much to Phoenix even though there was contact on a lot of plays. We all know the Spurs will charge back but we proved we could withstand it, back in the D'Antoni ERA we would lay down like dogs to them.

I'm willing to give Dragic a pass because in the last series he was great and its been a few days so maybe the rythm is off. He had a few nice drives to the hoop and that's what the kid has to continue to do. I think his game should evolve into another guy in this series, Tony Parker.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think the Suns are just too quick for the Spurs. They could design all the defensive plays but in the end they have no big man to stop Amare and the pick and roll will lead to good scoring plays. The Suns can give up points and play a running game if that is what Parker wants to do but they will lose because the Suns play enough defense now that they will outscore you in a run and gun (as long as they make the shots which come easy for them anyway).

I'm willing to give Dragic a pass because in the last series he was great and its been a few days so maybe the rythm is off. He had a few nice drives to the hoop and that's what the kid has to continue to do just that. I think his game should evolve into another guy in this series, Tony Parker.

The difference however is that this Spurs team can score. They of course got off to a very bad start last night, but once Pop finally figured out he needed Parker on the floor as much as possible, the game totally changed.
Hill was effective against the Mavs, but against the Suns it's gonna have to be the same 'ol same 'ol for the Spurs - Parker, Ginobli and Duncan...
I think with Parker starting instead of Hill, Game 2 will most likely get off to a very different start. I still think the Suns are a better team, but Parker starting will create more problems for the Suns. Also, if Dudley and/or Frye don't start scoring (I think one of them NEEDS to get into double-digits), the Suns are really going to have their work cut out for them as there is no way Nash will go for 30 points again...

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Great win by the Suns. Especially important since it was game 1 at home. I'll be surprised it the Spurs beat us (FAIR and HONESTLY) this year. We looked the far better team in that first game.

Oh and nice kick French Tony! :barf:That was an accident, or did you "protect yourself" with a "veteran move"? Horrible call by the officials and off course Harlan don't mention it at all him being the non critic as always. I like Doug Collins though.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Can someone get Channing Frye out of the pick and roll plays? The guy has the worst cover on pick and rolls ever.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
LoL, I :heart: Alvin Gentry.

He told Amare "and it starts with you! You gotta slow down Duncan - he's the one killing us."

Sure, TD still got his points but Amare did a decent job defending him.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score

I like this guy

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He told Amare "and it starts with you! You gotta slow down Duncan - he's the one killing us."

Gentry seems to be able to say things to players that DAntoni could not. He has a fatherly presence about him.

cly2tw

Reaction score

That's because Gentry seems to be honest with Amare and trust him and as the first coach gave him the chance to become the "point forward/center" we heard about since 2006 or so. DA told him that, I guess, but only as lipservice and never trusted anyone else but Nash and Diaw for ball handling. And fans blame Amare for not delivering what he promised, thinking basketball skills just grow on trees without repeated practice via error and trial on the real court. It took Nash a painful 5 years to become respectable PG in this league. Without Nelson letting him make all kind of mistakes, he might have ended like well so many other PG draft picks.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's because Gentry seems to be honest with Amare and trust him and as the first coach gave him the chance to become the "point forward/center" we heard about since 2006 or so. DA told him that, I guess, but only as lipservice and never trusted anyone else but Nash and Diaw for ball handling. And fans blame Amare for not delivering what he promised, thinking basketball skills just grow on trees without repeated practice via error and trial on the real court. It took Nash a painful 5 years to become respectable PG in this league. Without Nelson letting him make all kind of mistakes, he might have ended like well so many other PG draft picks.

Hey Cly, did you notice that 3 that Nash hit in the 4th when he came off a screen without the ball? I figured you'd appreciate that.

I've never seen them run a play for Nash off the ball like that, it seemed pretty effective.

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Cly, did you notice that 3 that Nash hit in the 4th when he came off a screen without the ball? I figured you'd appreciate that.

I've never seen them run a play for Nash off the ball like that, it seemed pretty effective.

Ugh! Please don't get Cly started on his "Nash need to play Stockton campaign" :p