Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously? See any quotation marks? Do you not know what the word basically implies in that structure?

It seems like you were making quite an assumption so I asked for a source to see if it was based on something Monty actually said or something created by you based on watching games like the rest of us.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously? See any quotation marks? Do you not know what the word basically implies in that structure?
I have to admit, I was also wondering where that was coming from. I thought you might be referencing Monty's shortening of the bench but wasn't sure either.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I have to admit, I was also wondering where that was coming from. I thought you might be referencing Monty's shortening of the bench but wasn't sure either.
When Monty purposefully let a message out he was only going with 10 or so players in the playoffs while intentionally not naming all 10, I think he was sending a message to the bench. Now this is not going to be a quote either, but I think he's saying whomever performs the best between now and then will fill out the (playing) roster

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Monty purposefully let a message out he was only going with 10 or so players in the playoffs while intentionally not naming all 10, I think he was sending a message to the bench. Now this is not going to be a quote either, but I think he's saying whomever performs the best between now and then will fill out the (playing) roster
Where did you hear this? I guess I missed it? Not that it would shock me or anybody (including players). Monty is notorious for shortening the bench.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
So Jon Bloom (Suns announcer) stated today that Monty will go for 9 players for his playoff rotation with 1 other that could spot fill in. He called it 9.5 players. He also stated with certainty that Cam Payne and Landy Shamet will be in that 9 along with Ross. He thinks this grouping will get most of the minutes down the stretch to get chemistry

So right now that would be:

Ayton
Durant
CP3
Booker
Payne
Shamet
Ross

So that leaves just 3 spots (but really 2) open out of these players:

Okogie
Craig
Lee
Bismack
Landale
Wainwright
Warren
Bazley

Okogie played 41 minutes against the Clippers. He seems like a lock. Bismack is probably the next in line.
Bump for @Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh. I guess it helps if you go back to the original thread post and read it. LOL. Sometimes when it gets to a couple pages I don't bother. I just jump in based on the most recent posts.

Yeah.....again doesn't shock me. Although, I don't know if I agree with the notion that it's to send a message. Monty simply seems to lack trust with his bench come playoff time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh. I guess it helps if you go back to the original thread post and read it. LOL. Sometimes when it gets to a couple pages I don't bother. I just jump in based on the most recent posts.

Yeah.....again doesn't shock me. Although, I don't know if I agree with the notion that it's to send a message. Monty simply seems to lack trust with his bench come playoff time.
I mean… saying he’s going with a 10 man rotation isn’t really news. Very few coaches even go that deep regularly in the playoffs where rotations are usually cut down to 9-10 guys.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Right on, I just think another player or two could ball out with this new line up before the playoffs start, trying to earn that trust. Opportunity of a lifetime for our bench, if they shine while we win a ring it'll likely elevate their careers big-time. If Okogie keeps it up Okogie is going to get paid

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean… saying he’s going with a 10 man rotation isn’t really news. Very few coaches even go that deep regularly in the playoffs where rotations are usually cut down to 9-10 guys.
Yeah...benches definitely shorten. Although, what bugs me about Monty (especially the finals year run) is when the team could use another body on the floor? He left them sitting on the bench. At some point if something isn't working you have to try. It reminds me of those playoff runs with Pringles running that high screen and roll with Nash/Amare over and over even though teams clearly figured it out. Drives me freaking nuts.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah...benches definitely shorten. Although, what bugs me about Monty (especially the finals year run) is when the team could use another body on the floor? He left them sitting on the bench. At some point if something isn't working you have to try. It reminds me of those playoff runs with Pringles running that high screen and roll with Nash/Amare over and over even though teams clearly figured it out. Drives me freaking nuts.

It’s frustrating to see it happen with Monty again. This is what most of the Monty hate stems from imo.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I don't know if I quite count as a "hater" but I do get extremely aggravated at Monty for his irrational obstinacy with rotations, erratic PT favoritism, and time out management. In my opinion, inflexibility when the situation demands change is one of the worst traits any coach can demonstrate, and we've seen plenty of that from Monty at the worst possible times. D'Antoni is a very apt analog because his stubbornness probably cost us multiple chances at a championship.

Hopefully, Monty either finally gets past those habits... or we are just so good with Durant here now that it becomes irrelevant.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. Any discussion is just what 10 players are going to fill that roll. To me, the only really controversial ones will be Biz, Shamet, and Warren. TJ could have a big role or be completely out of the rotation. Gotta figure out how all this will gel together.

Fitting Durant in shouldn't be the problem. Just keep the starting lineup as it was and add Durant for Mikal. Now you have to figure out who replaces Cam off the bench. TJ could provide the offense, but not the shooting. Okogie provides defense, and maybe the shooting if his shooting streak holds up.

Seems to me the biggest gripe people have with Monty is his willingness to keep Shamet in the rotation--especially if he ends up playing over Ross. That seems like a pretty small potatoes critique, even if Monty is wrong about it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust me… I’m with ya.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Any discussion is just what 10 players are going to fill that roll. To me, the only really controversial ones will be Biz, Shamet, and Warren. TJ could have a big role or be completely out of the rotation. Gotta figure out how all this will gel together.

Fitting Durant in shouldn't be the problem. Just keep the starting lineup as it was and add Durant for Mikal. Now you have to figure out who replaces Cam off the bench. TJ could provide the offense, but not the shooting. Okogie provides defense, and maybe the shooting if his shooting streak holds up.

Seems to me the biggest gripe people have with Monty is his willingness to keep Shamet in the rotation--especially if he ends up playing over Ross. That seems like a pretty small potatoes critique, even if Monty is wrong about it.
I think you’re missing the biggest gripe with Monty that has nothing to do with the rotation… it’s his switching defense and lack of adjustments against good shooting teams that regularly torch us from 3 and the fact that he’s never made an effort to adjust his offense when Booker got the hard double.

Luckily with a healthy KD, that hard double should be a thing of the past, but Monty never found a different way to attack it.

Those were the two principal reasons the Mavs embarassed us in the second half of our series against them and we’ve seen little to no adjustment from that this season so far.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you’re missing the biggest gripe with Monty that has nothing to do with the rotation… it’s his switching defense and lack of adjustments against good shooting teams that regularly torch us from 3 and the fact that he’s never made an effort to adjust his offense when Booker got the hard double.

Luckily with a healthy KD, that hard double should be a thing of the past, but Monty never found a different way to attack it.

Those were the two principal reasons the Mavs embarassed us in the second half of our series against them and we’ve seen little to no adjustment from that this season so far.
Ok. Gotta wonder what kind of conversations have gone on between coach and GM about it. If you can see it, JJ can. I think there was more to it than that last year. Something going on in the clubhouse that everyone is completely mum about.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Gotta wonder what kind of conversations have gone on between coach and GM about it. If you can see it, JJ can. I think there was more to it than that last year. Something going on in the clubhouse that everyone is completely mum about.
i definitely think that's a part of it. But we've seen that same issue on D rear it's ugly head a lot this season as well.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Bloom had some real insight on this. Monty has only played 10 guys every game after the all star break and the same 4 have sat. No Bazley, Lee, Warren, or Biyombo. I would consider this the far end of the bench.

Landale is definitely in. Looking at the minutes I am guessing Wainright or Lee become the .5

Okogie is outpacing Craig in minutes so he is the likely starter.

Expected rotation:

PF KD
SF Okogie
C Ayton
PG CP3
SG Booker

Primary Bench

Ross
Payne
Craig
Landale

Minor minutes

Shamet

.5 Wainwright / Lee depending on game situation / matchup.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Bloom had some real insight on this. Monty has only played 10 guys every game after the all star break and the same 4 have sat. No Bazley, Lee, Warren, or Biyombo. I would consider this the far end of the bench.

Landale is definitely in. Looking at the minutes I am guessing Wainright or Lee become the .5

Okogie is outpacing Craig in minutes so he is the likely starter.

Expected rotation:

PF KD
SF Okogie
C Ayton
PG CP3
SG Booker

Primary Bench

Ross
Payne
Craig
Landale

Minor minutes

Shamet

.5 Wainwright / Lee depending on game situation / matchup.

That is probably about right, but I think Shamet's defense might end up landing him in the 9 man over Ross. Ross has not looked good on that end.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okogie is making himself a lot of money. That 1 year deal at vets minimum won't be what he gets next year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okogie is making himself a lot of money. That 1 year deal at vets minimum won't be what he gets next year.

Yes. Josh Okogie wants it. He is willing to put in the work and has the skills and athleticism to get there.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he takes the MLE in the off season to stay here that's an enormous recovery from the loss of Mikael