Playing for next year. Picking Caleb and trading Kyler.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We certainly have a chance to have a 24 draft similar to what Houston had this year, but hopefully even better.

I think the ideal is Kyler plays well enough you don't trade him and then you have all the leverage with the top pick for someone who wants Williams or Maye, get Harrison Jr with the 2nd pick, get more help with that trade package for the first pick and improve the team in a ton of places.

If we have to pick a QB it likely means less in return because it would mean Kyler didn't play well enough and has less trade value than the #1 overall pick.

I'd really like to end up with Harrison Jr in the draft and the other first round pick ideally would be either another OT, or an elite edge. I just don't see an edge that elite right now I think Verse is too small and not sure who else there is. I really hope such a player emerges during the year.
Verse is pretty much the same size as Anderson Jr. was and he had higher pressure rates, higher pass rush win rates.

That islander kid from Ohio State might end up being the best of the bunch by year end or go with Newton from Illinois who was a monster last year at DT.

I agree with your best case scenario. Imagine the haul the Cardinals could get for a Maye/Williams pick?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verse is pretty much the same size as Anderson Jr. was and he had higher pressure rates, higher pass rush win rates.

That islander kid from Ohio State might end up being the best of the bunch by year end or go with Newton from Illinois who was a monster last year at DT.

I agree with your best case scenario. Imagine the haul the Cardinals could get for a Maye/Williams pick?

Maybe it's the uniform but to me Verse looks smaller especially in the lower body? I think the main difference is Anderson gets the corner and bends in for the sack, Verse seems more straight line speed. I may just be biased because he started off at a small school too. I think he's a top 10 guy not a top 3 I guess is my point.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm encouraged by his attitude this off-season so far but obviously real test will be when he returns to what is very likely to be a very bad team. If the offense only looks marginally better than when McCoy or our 5th round rookie were playing,, it would be difficult not to go in a different direction with the high draft pick.

If his attitude remains positive and is showing good leadership ability despite what is likely to still be a tough 2nd half of season, then I think the odds are very good he returns. If he reverts to acting disinterested or starts yelling at the new coaches like he did Kliff, he will be gone.
Thats kinda how i see it. Kylers biggest issues were between his ears...if those look to be addressed then we roll with him...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe it's the uniform but to me Verse looks smaller especially in the lower body? I think the main difference is Anderson gets the corner and bends in for the sack, Verse seems more straight line speed. I may just be biased because he started off at a small school too. I think he's a top 10 guy not a top 3 I guess is my point.
Honestly I don't see much bend in Anderson's game at all. I see more in Verses game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I don't see much bend in Anderson's game at all. I see more in Verses game.

I guess we'll see, Anderson has surprising strength for his size both lower body and hands so he got lots of sacks overpowering guys in college which was the one doubt on him in the NFL was he big enough to do that against NFL athletes. But he also got lots of sacks by just getting the shoulder either outside or inside on the blocker and then just "bending" in and getting by him to the QB.

I don't dislike Verse I just don't see him as a top 3 guy like I did Anderson.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn't this year, but he might be next year.

He had like a 24% pressure rates last year, while Anderson had a 17%.

Hard to compare like that, SEC in general is loaded with NFL prospects, not that Verse is playing against nobodies but I suspect Anderson played against better players.

I do like Verse just not as much as I liked Will. The only reason I'm not mad we passed on Will is we got the 1st round pick out of it that could lead to 2 picks in the top 3-4 next year.

Still not a huge fan of Paris but I'm warming to the pick

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hard to compare like that, SEC in general is loaded with NFL prospects, not that Verse is playing against nobodies but I suspect Anderson played against better players.
The more I think about the SEC is better than everyone else paradigm, the more I think it's kind of BS.
I do like Verse just not as much as I liked Will. The only reason I'm not mad we passed on Will is we got the 1st round pick out of it that could lead to 2 picks in the top 3-4 next year.
When all is said and done, Tuimoloau might be the best edge prospect anyway.

He was streaky last year, but he has elite tools.
Still not a huge fan of Paris but I'm warming to the pick
Honestly, I'm starting to think that the Cardinals 100% are tanking and that they take another QB next year.

Building the OL is the best move for a young QB. Paris has really good tools. He's big, but not sloppy fat and he moves well.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The more I think about the SEC is better than everyone else paradigm, the more I think it's kind of BS.

When all is said and done, Tuimoloau might be the best edge prospect anyway.

He was streaky last year, but he has elite tools.

Honestly, I'm starting to think that the Cardinals 100% are tanking and that they take another QB next year.

Building the OL is the best move for a young QB. Paris has really good tools. He's big, but not sloppy fat and he moves well.
The SEC paradigm is for real. They get the best players and are the best teams.

OSU is the only non-SEC that can compare to them and you’re right about JTT. He may be an elite pro. He has everything you want.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Monti: I hate to break it to you but we might --

Bidwill: -- need a new QB

Monti: You've heard this before?

Bidwill: How old are you?

Monti: 45

Bidwill: I've heard it more than 45 times

Monti: I'm so sorry

Bidwill: This is the way

Monti: Good news is there's --

Bidwill: -- an amazing quarterback in the upcoming draft that can take Arizona to the Super Bowl and lift the franchise

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

OSU is the only non-SEC that can compare to them and you’re right about JTT. He may be an elite pro. He has everything you want.
Who's JTT? I must have missed that...
Monti: I hate to break it to you but we might --

Bidwill: -- need a new QB

Monti: 45

Bidwill: I've heard it more than 45 times

Monti: I'm so sorry

Bidwill: This is the way

Monti: Good news is there's --

Bidwill: -- an amazing quarterback in the upcoming draft that can take Arizona to the Super Bowl and lift the franchise

Bidwill: How old are you again?
Lather
Rinse
Repeat

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah but the other conferences still have humans too. Plenty of good players in every conference.
Michigan as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This take is deranged considering that the SEC has won five of the last seven national championships and often gets two entrants to the playoffs.

The third place finisher in the SEC would likely win any other conference except the Big 10 or ACC, and they’d likely keep that game close.

A team would build better drafting exclusively SEC players than splitting prospects evenly across the Power Five or digging for gems in like FCS.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Yeah but the other conferences still have humans too. Plenty of good players in every conference.

Michigan as well.
Michigan has been blown out every time they play SEC.
OSU was the better team against Georgia.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

No. It isnt really... all time as of 2011 SEC is up 64 to 40 vs PAC 10... but since 1998 the PAC has a winning record Vs the SEC

They get a lot of top recruits but not all of them....

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Kyler still has to prove himself worthy this year if he is to be considered the QB after this year. He has been getting worse not better and he can’t stay healthy either. I think this is his make or break year. If he sucks he will be replaced by Caleb or Maye. He not only needs to ball out but mentally take hold of the team as a respected leader not the little boy that he’s been showing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This take is deranged considering that the SEC has won five of the last seven national championships and often gets two entrants to the playoffs.

The third place finisher in the SEC would likely win any other conference except the Big 10 or ACC, and they’d likely keep that game close.

A team would build better drafting exclusively SEC players than splitting prospects evenly across the Power Five or digging for gems in like FCS.
Shut the heck up with that deranged nonsense.

It's language that is meant to be an a hole, no matter how you splice it.

There are 100s of food football players that don't play in the SEC. How many QBs from the SEC have won an NFL title.

What's deranged is the SEC jock worship from fan boys like you

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A ton can and will likely change in a year.

caleb could suck, he could get hurt the cards could surprise to the upside, kyler could play great.

i don’t know what is going to happen but odds are we will not end up picking him first if history is any guide.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shut the heck up with that deranged nonsense.

It's language that is meant to be an a hole, no matter how you splice it.

There are 100s of food football players that don't play in the SEC. How many QBs from the SEC have won an NFL title.

What's deranged is the SEC jock worship from fan boys like you
Personal attacks aren't allowed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose