ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It also allows younger players the chance to make a name for themselves on the big stage

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s lame. Don’t care how much money they are risking. They wouldn’t be in the situation to begin with if it wasn’t for the university who gave them a very expensive free education and the stage that afforded them the opportunity to make that money.

This is what insurance policies are for.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s lame. Don’t care how much money they are risking. They wouldn’t be in the situation to begin with if it wasn’t for the university who gave them a very expensive free education and the stage that afforded them the opportunity to make that money.

If they choose not to play, they should watch the game from the stands or at home, but not in street clothes on the sidelines...that area is reserved for players.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score

Yeah you have a point there. More about insurance policies then money. Or pride for that matter.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They have a lot of money on the line, and bowl games do not mean anything anymore.

That is just smart.
I feel like there is a certain demographic that always are against these choices. Not going to touch up on it, though.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I feel like there is a certain demographic that always are against these choices. Not going to touch up on it, though.
Come on D... Im a 50 year old white guy who always sides with ownership....but i understand why some kids want to protect their assetts

Especially after McGahee

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's their right to skip I guess, But it's also the right of GM's everywhere to not draft themselves a guaranteed Le'Veon Bell situation in the near future.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
They have a lot of money on the line, and bowl games do not mean anything anymore.

That is just smart.
Exactly why they need to expand to at least an 8 team playoff.

I just don’t understand how the NCAA can’t $ell this to the decision makers!!! Mega buck$

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There should be a rule in place for bowl games where guys can play without burning their redshirts.
Especially since technically it is already the next year....well...except for the december games...but the season is over

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly why they need to expand to at least an 8 team playoff.

I just don’t understand how the NCAA can’t $ell this to the decision makers!!! Mega buck$

They’d just start sitting out the playoff games too....

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Send N'keal Harry to Vegas, he earned it.

If it was the Idaho Potato Bowl, I'd just tell to stay in Phx or hit up one of the boosters up for a trip to Hawaii. :cheers:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

10 years ago it might have bugged me but in this day and age there's just too much at risk for these kids. If you're in the BCS championship series and skipping then yeah that's maybe selfish, team is trying to win an NC. But if you're in the Meineke Bowl and your school already got the money, why risk an injury?

I don't buy the school helped you get into this situation either, the schools are making millions annually off these kids, if school A didn't take the kid school B would have.

I guess the counter is if everyone sat out the bowl games would suck, but football doesn't have an NCAA tournament like basketball does so most of these teams are not competing for anything tangible in the bowl games.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw a story the other day which said that Vegas has had to adjust the lines on many of the bowl games based on which players are choosing to sit out. Makes sense since it is often a key player (or players) in each game.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I think someone would have figured out a way around the need for college football at this point. The NBA has.

The colleges and the state the college is in, make a lot of money off these college games. Yet, the argument against, is a lot of college fans would still go to the games if said talented player was not there as well.

If I were in these kids' shoes, I would sit out and not risk the big pay day coming their way. It is a very small percentage of players.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Agreed.

But trust me it does not stop at sports. We are a nation of bastardize capitalism, the name of the game is to get as much talent for as little a price, and when the talent gets damaged, chuck it and get a new one. I know that I am talking about humans like objects, but life is cheap.

Gotta do what is best for you at the time of opportunity.

I do not like it, but I would rather get my money and take care of what I need than wait around for some "medal in the mail" for some sort of lame idea that "it is the right thing to do", or talk about morals and crap like that.

This nation is not one that rewards for morals and integrity anymore. Public opinion doesn't pay the bills.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

LMAO

Do you even KNOW what the return rate is for the "expensive education" these Universities provide?

It's like bitching at your employee who's earned you hundreds of thousands because he wants to skip a meaningless meeting before he transitions from the $15.00/hr you pay him to the 100K/yr he's about to accept at another company.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

"Free" education. :rolleyes: All they have to do is work 80 hours a week between classwork and practices, and somehow make sure that the coaches don't recruit a better player at their position, or their scholarship could get pulled.

An NFL-bound player owes nothing to a college who has profited from his performance and likeness.

If they choose not to play, they should watch the game from the stands or at home, but not in street clothes on the sidelines...that area is reserved for players.

Have you never looked on the sidelines of a college football game? It's full of recruits, VIPs, etc. There are like 700 people down there. My brother's snuck down to the sideline of LSU games multiple times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson