Plan to play 2019-20 NBA season

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
just replace summer league in vegas with the 19-20 finale.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There is going to be a lot of overlap of sports if the NBA starts their season around Christmas but there is anyway.

It would give NBA Commissioner Adam Silver the opportunity to implement the Christmas tournament he has always wanted and it would actually mean something.
How is overlap a concern? That’s strange that you brought that specific thing up.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is going to be a lot of overlap of sports if the NBA starts their season around Christmas but there is anyway.

It would give NBA Commissioner Adam Silver the opportunity to implement the Christmas tournament he has always wanted and it would actually mean something.
I like the proposed schedule. I've thought for awhile to start the season on Christmas and play a 60 game schedule. I'd add more intra division games and cut all the inter conference games. Nothing is weirder than 4pm tips, and on the other coast they don't watch games that start at 10:30.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the proposed schedule. I've thought for awhile to start the season on Christmas and play a 60 game schedule. I'd add more intra division games and cut all the inter conference games. Nothing is weirder than 4pm tips, and on the other coast they don't watch games that start at 10:30.

There is a lot to like about starting the NBA season around Christmas especially since it's probably going to happen this season if the pandemic allows. I'm not sure about the NBA's thinking about starting the season in October. My thoughts were they wanted to minimize competition with other sports as much as possible but there is already an overlap.

It's hard to see the NBA shortening their season to 60 games, at least right away, because of revenue lost this past season. The Commissioner did talk about shortening the season before the coronavius but that may be on the back burner now.

Yeah, those East coast trips can be brutal. If the East and West teams didn't normally play each other during the regular season, that's where an in-season inter conference tournament would be more exciting.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

On a call with the NBA GM's this afternoon, Adam Silver confirmed that Friday's meeting of the Board of Governors would not include a formal vote on a return-to-play plan, sources tell ESPN. Talks on a plan will continue into the weekend.

2:53 PM - 28 May 2020

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
    • Half of the league's general managers voted to skip straight to a 16-team postseason (bye, Bulls)

• "Just over half" of the league's general managers voted to reseed a hypothetical 16-team postseason by record, independent of conference

• "About 75 percent" of the league's general managers voted for a play-in tournament that would pit fringe playoff teams against each other to decide the final seeds of a playoff (O'Connor reported the Lakersand Bucks to favor this format)

• The remaining 25 percent of the league's general managers voted for a playoff featuring World Cup-esque group stage first round
    Of note: The Bulls currently own the 24th-best record (22-43) in the NBA. It's not specified how many teams each of the above models would involve, but if that answer ends up being less than 24 (and the remainder of the regular season ends up being skipped), the Bulls would not be going to Disney World.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/report-75-percent-nba-gms-031047030.html

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but Damian Lillard says he won't play when play resumes unless the Blazers have the opportunity to make the postseason.

I can understand why he'd take that stance but it can be argued they had 65 or so games to be in position for the playoffs. If they couldn't secure a better record before, why be angry about it now?

Here's a piece that goes into detailing examining some of the criticism he's received...

https://sports.yahoo.com/damian-lillard-accused-elitism-comments-175128121.html

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but Damian Lillard says he won't play when play resumes unless the Blazers have the opportunity to make the postseason.

I can understand why he'd take that stance but it can be argued they had 65 or so games to be in position for the playoffs. If they couldn't secure a better record before, why be angry about it now?

Here's a piece that goes into detailing examining some of the criticism he's received...

https://sports.yahoo.com/damian-lillard-accused-elitism-comments-175128121.html

I understand how this sounds but I suspect a lot of players do not want to play any more games if they so not have a path to the playoffs. Portland is ranked 9th in the Western Conference so if the NBA expands the field to 20 teams, they should have have a path to make the playoffs if they adopt a playoffs plus format.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
⁦‪@ShamsCharania‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

Additional results from NBA's GM survey, per sources:

- Most GMs want season to end no later than Oct. 1
- GMs want larger roster/more flexibility to manage their roster
- 53 percent voted to maintain traditional playoff seeding; 47 percent for reseeding

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
⁦‪@ShamsCharania‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

Additional results from NBA's GM survey, per sources:

- Most GMs want season to end no later than Oct. 1
- GMs want larger roster/more flexibility to manage their roster
- 53 percent voted to maintain traditional playoff seeding; 47 percent for reseeding

Really like the larger roster part and more flexibility to manage it.

I'm not quite sure if the Suns are in position to take advantage of it though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adam Silver and the NBPA are discussing the details of a return to play proposal.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sixteen teams preferred going straight to a traditional 16 team playoff.

As the NBA's board of governors met Friday afternoon to assess options for how to restart the season, the league's general managers have expressed their preference to go straight to the playoffs.

In a survey of all 30 general managers, which was viewed by ESPN, 16 said they would prefer the league come back with just the typical 16 playoff teams, with the teams and seedings based on the standings when the season was suspended March 12.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...s-vote-restart-season-going-straight-playoffs

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ramona Shelburne‏Verified account @ramonashelburne

Among the four plans discussed on the Board of Governors call today was one in which teams that are within six games of a playoff spot would be invited to compete in regular season games, then a play-in tourney for the final playoff spots, sources told ESPN.

12:51 PM - 29 May 2020

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To get every team to 65 or 70 games, whatever that number was, I'd like to see them play a round robin tournament for draft position, or at least extra pingpong balls. That would give the losing teams a reason to play.

This is a weak draft as far as the top end. There isn't a clear #1 pick, or #2. That would make it an easier sell, I think. It's not like a bad team is missing their chance on Zion.

Maybe keep the top 2-3 picks determined by lottery and the rest by the results of the round robin.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get every team to 65 or 70 games, whatever that number was, I'd like to see them play a round robin tournament for draft position, or at least extra pingpong balls. That would give the losing teams a reason to play.

This is a weak draft as far as the top end. There isn't a clear #1 pick, or #2. That would make it an easier sell, I think. It's not like a bad team is missing their chance on Zion.

Maybe keep the top 2-3 picks determined by lottery and the rest by the results of the round robin.

If the non-playoff teams didn't need to play 70 games, it could be played like the NCAA basketball tournament.

One loss and a team is out. That would be fun.

How about after the top 4-8 teams getting the top spots in the draft, the remaining draft order would be determined by season record.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it will be 20-22 teams resuming the season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
20 teams does not include us. 22 does.

Sarver will want to get paid. I can't see him being ok with the team sitting out. Considering how young the Suns are, I want them to get as many reps as they can so I'd like to see them play more as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 teams does not include us. 22 does.

It could happen if this plan is chosen.

The 22-team plan would include teams that are currently within six games of the final playoff spots in each conference, sources said.

New Orleans, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento and San Antonio would land in Orlando under those guidelines, with Washington joining as the only team within six games of the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ted-approve-adam-silver-restart-plan-thursday

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The NBA is planning a Thursday vote of the league's board of governors -- with owners expected to approve commissioner Adam Silver's recommendation on a format to restart the season in Orlando, Florida, sources tell ESPN.

The NBA has been examining several plans for a return to play, but numerous members of the board of governors tell ESPN that there's growing support for a plan to bring 22 teams to Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in July.

This format likely would include regular-season and play-in games to compete for playoff berths in both the Eastern and Western Conferences, sources said.

The NBA needs a three-fourths majority of owners to approve a return-to-play plan, and an overwhelming majority of owners expressed a desire to do precisely that on both a board of governors call on Friday and later in interviews with ESPN.
https://www.prosportsdaily.com/arti...dam-silvers-restart-plan-thursday-631080.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard