PHX/NY/DEN/MIN Deal

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Bored with trade Machine. So here's a crazy trade idea... Gets Melo out of Denver, Nash out of Phoenix and NY deep into the playoffs. This could be D'Antoni's dream team...

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=69r8n4j

PHX Gets: Curry, Anderson, Mozgov, Telfair, Mason, rights to Rubio, Future NY 1st round pick
NY Gets: Nash, Carmelo, G. Hill
DEN Gets: Childress, Frye, Gallinari, Azubukie, NY 1st
MIN Gets: A. Randolph

Phoenix gets expiring contracts and Chris Anderson, Telfair, rights to Rubio and a pick. Why? What else do we have to lose. Birdman gives Suns fans something to cheer for while rebuilding and provides hustle that's been missing since Lou left. Telfair wants out of MIN as he's stuck behind Flynn. Rubio/Dragic give's us some hope after Nash.

For NY it's a no brainer. Nash, Felton, Hill, Anthony and Amare is a very solid team. It's a huge push. But D'Antoni and the Knicks I'm sure have no problem pulling the trigger on this.

Denver, this is where it gets tricky. NY's first, Gallinari are really the only value to the trade. Childress and Frye have little value, but offer some depth to the team. My only concern is they are getting better offers for Melo.

Minnesota wants to get rid of Telfair as he's unhappy, I feel like Rubio is not going to play in Minnesota. Randolph is a decent prospect as well.

That leaves us with the following on our roster...
Dragic/Telfair
Carter/Pietrus
Dudley/Lawal
Warrick/Anderson
Gortat/Curry/Lopez

Leaves us with plenty of picks and expiring contracts (Carter, Curry, etc.) and most likely a top 5 pick. Hell if we could then flip Carter for anything I'm all in.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE for Denver.

Yeah, it's not great for Denver but Carmelo has them over a barrel. He's going to walk if they don't do something and he appears to be a cancer for that current squad. The market for him is really limited because he's made his unwillingness to play "just anywhere" very obvious.

Still, I suspect they'd need more than this deal especially since Frye is so obviously NOT a Karl kind of player. His presence in the deal as constructed is a negative. Find another team that needs him and send a pick from them to Denver and maybe it's a possibility.

Steve

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NY doesn't have one pick to trade much less two.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the DEN/NJ/DET rumored deal will negate this proposed trade. At least everyone in that deal gets what they want and no one gets taken for the proverbial "ride".

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
NY doesn't have one pick to trade much less two.

They just can't trade their 2011 pick, they can trade a future pick.

Don't see how the Suns get more for Nash/Hill + bad long term contracts than the Nuggets get for Melo but I'd be all for this trade :).

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They just can't trade their 2011 pick, they can trade a future pick.

Don't see how the Suns get more for Nash/Hill + bad long term contracts than the Nuggets get for Melo but I'd be all for this trade :).

If they can't trade their 2011 pick, then they can't trade their 2012 either.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense for Denver or Minnesota. NJ would give DEN a way better deal for 'Melo. And why would Minnesota give away Rubio who their very high on for Randolph? They already have good PFs in Love & Beasley.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If they can't trade their 2011 pick, then they can't trade their 2012 either.

The rule is you can't go consecutive years without having a future 1st. They can't trade their 2011 pick because they gave the Rockets the right to switch picks in 2011 as part of the trade that sent Hill to Houston. Since the Knicks will have a pick in 2011 they can trade their 2012 pick.