OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Strengths

1) Starters are locked, except for who will start at C.

2) Productive Bench and versital to adapt to other teams.

3) Young and under contract.

4) Main Core returning from last year.

5) Very deep at the SG possition.

6) Googs expiring contract

7) Cav's Future draft Pick

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
NEEDS

1) Back-up SF (can be filled though draft in 1st round)

2) Back-up PG (Can be filled though trade or free agent)

3) Back-up C or starter if Jake doesn't produce (Re-signing Voskul is very important, and maybe trade opptions)

4) Solid perimeter shooter (Casey could fill this roll)

5) Shot Blocker/Rebounder (This is Big Jake's to loose, put or get out)

6) Maybe a second round pick would be nice

7) 53mil 2004-2005 in contracts not including rooks and free agents. (Googs only expiring contract everyone else under contract)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
Contracts for 2003-2004
Anfernee Hardaway $13,500,000.00
Stephon Marbury $13,500,000.00
Tom Gugliotta $11,668,395.00
Bo Outlaw $5,955,000.00
Shawn Marion $10,067,750.00
Amare Stoudemire $1,899,720.00
Joe Johnson $1,850,160.00
Iakovos Tsakalidis $1,580,702.00
Casey Jacobsen $1,071,307.00
Total $61,093,034.00

Next Years Free Agents
Dan Langhi - Possibility to return is no SF is drafted
Jake Voskuhl - Should be a priority to resign
Alton Ford - May get a second look for the right price
Randy Brown - Should not return
Scott Williams - Should not return

Dan Langhi should not return. I would much rather give his minutes to Joe Johnson, or even Casey Jacobsen.

Randy Brown and Alton Ford should not return either. I still think Ford has some skills, but the C's have obviously given up on him, unless they didn't play him this year in order to re-sign him for a very small contract, but I don't believe that's the case.

Jake Voskhul has to be re-signed. He is a terrific role player. He brings the energy off the bench, cuts and moves witout the ball very well, has the size to guard big centers, and has the speed and agility to guard smaller centers. Great team player, good for chemistry.

Scott Williams is a bargain for $1M a year. Guy has a ton of experience, and he can still play. If nothing else, it's good to have a veteran player on the bench.

Needs:
1. A center or a big power forward who can shoot 18 foot jumpers. If the Suns can get somebody who can do that, they will be a serious contender next year, as this jump shooting big man will be a terrific complement to both, Marbury's penetration, and Amare's low post game. This is the only major need for this team. Brad Miller, Jowan Howard, Peja Drobnjak would all fit well.
Another option would be to draft one of the European 7-footers who can shoot. Zarko Cabarkapa, Kosta Perovic...etc

2. I would like to see a back up point guard, preferably a very experienced guy. One guy that comes to my mind immediately is Avery Johnson. If he is not available, I would go after Damon Jones. He did a decent job in Sacramento while Bibby or/and Bobby were injued.

3. A veteran swingman. It looks like JJ is developing into a good player, and he can be the back up small forward as well as a shooting guard, but I would still like to see the Suns add another veteran swingmen to their bench. Jimmy Jackson comes to mind, though I think the Lakers are going to go after him.

Stefan

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Damon Jones is no PG however. He is like Tony Delk just worse, I don't think he can do much besides spotting up from behind the arc.

There must be a reason he never lands a roster spot for the whole year.

I'd be happy if we could just pick up Jason Gardner if he goes undrafted. What I'd be looking for in a backup PG would be the ability to run the fastbreak and control the tempo. Jason Gardner was exactly doing that for Arizona a team that was full of athletes in his seasons.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slin, I think you and I are on the same page regarding Jason Gardner. I think he could be a better version of Boykins bringing energy and scoring of the bench.

The Phoenix Suns do not need another swingman unless there's somebody cheap that is just too good to pass up. They already have a team full of swingmen with Shawn Marion, Penny Hardaway, Joe Johnson, and Casey Jacobson. If they are going to get someone to play small forward I would like to see the Suns go after one of these taller, longer players. Small forts are getting bigger and bigger these days.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Re: Re: PHX Needs/Strengths Next Year

Originally posted by SirStefan32

Scott Williams is a bargain for $1M a year. Guy has a ton of experience, and he can still play. If nothing else, it's good to have a veteran player on the bench.

** Not to sure I would want Williams back for a full season maybe someone you sign to 30day contracts if needed. 1Mil a year you can get a Voskul for around 500k and a much better player**

Needs:
1. A center or a big power forward who can shoot 18 foot jumpers. If the Suns can get somebody who can do that, they will be a serious contender next year, as this jump shooting big man will be a terrific complement to both, Marbury's penetration, and Amare's low post game. This is the only major need for this team. Brad Miller, Jowan Howard, Peja Drobnjak would all fit well.
Another option would be to draft one of the European 7-footers who can shoot. Zarko Cabarkapa, Kosta Perovic...etc

** You Give up on Amare that quickly, I am sure Amare will have a jumper by next year. Since Googs has take his option he will be that jump shooter***
2. I would like to see a back up point guard, preferably a very experienced guy. One guy that comes to my mind immediately is Avery Johnson. If he is not available, I would go after Damon Jones. He did a decent job in Sacramento while Bibby or/and Bobby were injued.

** AJ is just in the same boat as R.Brown and you see how much we used him this year**
3. A veteran swingman. It looks like JJ is developing into a good player, and he can be the back up small forward as well as a shooting guard, but I would still like to see the Suns add another veteran swingmen to their bench. Jimmy Jackson comes to mind, though I think the Lakers are going to go after him.
Stefan

** Suns don't have cap room to add to many vets next year. I would like to see them address this need though the draft. Maybe a 6-9- 7ft shooter**

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: PHX Needs/Strengths Next Year

** Not to sure I would want Williams back for a full season maybe someone you sign to 30day contracts if needed. 1Mil a year you can get a Voskul for around 500k and a much better player**

** You Give up on Amare that quickly, I am sure Amare will have a jumper by next year. Since Googs has take his option he will be that jump shooter***

** AJ is just in the same boat as R.Brown and you see how much we used him this year**

** Suns don't have cap room to add to many vets next year. I would like to see them address this need though the draft. Maybe a 6-9- 7ft shooter like the Zarko http://nbadraft.net/profiles/zarkocabarkapa.htm **

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
1. Jake will demand more than 500K a year.

2. AJ is much better than Randy Brown. Brown was never good to begin with, and he is not really a point guard either. AJ is a proven leader, and better than Brown in every category there is. Also, note that I never said the Suns had to add a PG or a SF, I just said it would be nice.

3. Amare is a post up player. If he develops a jumper, that's great, but the bread and butter of his game will always be in the low post. Therefore, the Suns need another player who can shoot from the perimetar to complement Amare's inside game.

4. Is there such a thing as a 30 day contract?
Anyways, as I said, Williams for 1M a year is the best deal you can find. Now if you draft a center, and re-sign Voskhul, then there is no need for Williams to be on the roster.

Stefan

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Anyways, as I said, Williams for 1M a year is the best deal you can find.

Especially with the league paying half of his salary.

Now if you draft a center, and re-sign Voskhul, then there is no need for Williams to be on the roster.

The chances of the Suns drafting a credible center in the middle of the first round are almost zero. The decent center prospects always go very early. I think the Suns should not even consider taking a center with their pick, unless someone irresistable inexplicably falls into their laps. It's just too likely that the pick will prove to have been a waste.

Freddie

Registered
Reaction score

2. AJ is much better than Randy Brown. Brown was never good to begin with, and he is not really a point guard either. AJ is a proven leader, and better than Brown in every category there is. Also, note that I never said the Suns had to add a PG or a SF, I just said it would be nice.

Stefan

I disagree. Randy Brown is an excellent defender, much better than AJ is and ever was. I'm not sure who is the better shooter of the two, but that has always been the achilles heel of AJ.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. Jake will demand more than 500K a year.

3. Amare is a post up player. If he develops a jumper, that's great, but the bread and butter of his game will always be in the low post. Therefore, the Suns need another player who can shoot from the perimetar to complement Amare's inside game.

4. Is there such a thing as a 30 day contract?
Anyways, as I said, Williams for 1M a year is the best deal you can find. Now if you draft a center, and re-sign Voskhul, then there is no need for Williams to be on the roster.

Stefan
1.-2.-3 I agree.

4.No,there isn't 30-day contract.

Don't forget that Williams's 1.07 mil. salary costs only .680 mil. for the Suns because Williams is a +5-year veteran!

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am not for bring Williams back. Sure it is nice to have him around but we could use that spot for rook. OK here is are starting line up next year and for at least 4 years.

Marbury
Penney(JJ will be the starter)
Marion
Amare
--------- (I say Big Jake plays most of the time with a PF/C that can score open jumpers and play help D)

Bo - Back-up PF/C
Voskul - Back-up PF/C ( If he works on his jumper could be what we are looking for)
Casey ( You never know could be a Rex Chap if given the chance)
Zako( IMO this guy will fill the holes we have) SF/PF/C
Back-up PG??? (Maybe pick up a vet or look for a 2nd round trade for future pick)

sunsfn

Reaction score
The suns have 14 players on the roster and can have 15.
I do not think that Randy Brown and Alton Ford will be back.

I think there is a chance that Dan Langhi & Scott Williams will be back. They both come cheap and the leadership that Williams gives is important when you have so many young players.
Langhi is just in his 3rd year and can improve.
Someone has to play a few minutes for Marion and unless we draft a small forward he may be back.

You have to have some veterans and not all young players to get some leadership and stability to the team.

I think the rest will be back unless the suns have some kind of trade come up they want to do.
But I do not think they will change the team much.
A first draft pick and a free agent.

I would prefer them to draft a big man and sign a point guard.
(tough to get at the 17th pick)

The problem is that there is more point guards in this years draft so they may have to draft one.

:thumbup:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I do not think that a backup pg is a huge need. the player would play very little. I mean penny, marbury and johnson handle the ball well, and can play point. add CJ to the 2* spot, and we are pretty much set in that rotation. Maybe a backup SF, but that was supposed to be langhi's job, and he played sparingly. I think that anyone we add will not be in the main rotation, so there isnt a need.

BTW, I still argue we do not need an offensive minded center, just someone who can block shots and get boards.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

BTW, I still argue we do not need an offensive minded center, just someone who can block shots and get boards. [/B]

I agree. Although the ability to nail the occasional 15 foot jumper would certainly help alot.

How about Adonal Foyle?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would have to be a trade. Since the Warriors are already heavy in the pf/c position, he might be obtainable.

My question is whether he is the type of player who could fill that starting center position for the Suns. He seems like a Mark West sort of player.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Isnt foyle always injured? Well at least before this year? I guess his contract isnt very long, but could be risky. All depends on what we would have to give up

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
His contact is $4,921,053.00 next year WOW no thanks! We would have to give up a couple of players or BO and Bo is worth keeping.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His contact is $4,921,053.00 next year WOW no thanks! We would have to give up a couple of players or BO and Bo is worth keeping.
Of course Suns would do the Foyle for Outlaw deal at a heartbeat.
The question is only why would the Warriors do.

Foyle is a bigger and more effective version of Outlaw AND his contract is a year shorter.
IMO,Foyle would fit very well to Suns actual play.

7footer

Reaction score
it would be nice for our center

to be able to atleast pose a threat of say 12 pts a game and be able to hit free throws

Jake Tsakalidis just doesnt rebound or score enough for us. To be honest-he really didn't do much of anything this year

if Joe Johnson is the real thing, as we've seen late in the season, then he takes over for Penny after next season (last yr of contract?)

so I say we draft a C/PF---if that Zarko guy from Serbia can shoot--might be a nice compliment--

what about grabbing Wang Zhi Zhi from the Clippers--he can actually shoot 3's and is a big man but apparently wasn't part of the Clips plans ???

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Wang zhi zhi would beinteresting, but I mean do we want to ruin all relations with china, preventing any furture draft picks coming to us? Remember he wasnt resigned because of that threat.

Everyone is up on this zarko guy, but the fact is that if he was as good as advertised he wouldnt be around when we pick. Most european players take a few years to develop to the NBA life. Why draft a project?

Personally I would be happy if they traded away the pick for a future pick or someone we could waive. We do not need another 3 year guaranteed contract, and we dont have any big enough holes that have a chance to be filled instantly through the draft IMO.